CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Ron Reed

Profile:
Hip pain after running on treadmill

Hi all, I'm new to Crossfit, 2 months in, I ran on a treadmill for the first time in a long time yesterday and then spent 8 hours sitting in a car at work last night. i woke up today with my outer hips just screaming, which I'm guessing is tight hip flexors. We have a few posters up at my box that show some mobility work but it's never really been taught in class. Has anyone read or used the book Supple Leopard by Kelly Starret. I am 38 years old and find that most of my limitations so far have been mobility issues. I appreciate any feedback about that book. Is it worth the $30 price tag.

Last edited by Ron Reed : 12-12-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Anyone read Supple Leopard?

I haven't read it, but I have looked through it briefly and liked what I saw. It's the usual typical high-quality stuff from Kelly Starrett. The book is expensive, but (assuming that you need what it provides) I'm sure it's worth it.

- Mark
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I have it. It helped tremendously not only with mobility stuff, but gave me some good cues in correcting my form on squat, deads, cleans, press..etc. It's great. Well worth the money.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
John Herbold

Profile:

I'm similarly new to CF (first post here!). Bought the book a few weeks ago and have been wading through. Have found it highly educational and practical. He walks through some core concepts and then goes into a ton of mobility exercises segmented out across the different systems in your body. As an example, I was having trouble with the straight leg test for deadlifting properly, and after 10 minutes of banded distraction exercises on my hip capsules, I could properly complete the test. Spend the $30 but also be willing to spend a few bucks on implements if you don't have them already (lax balls, a band, foam roller, etc.).

FWIW, I bought my power band (green) from Rogue but prefer MDUSA's because they're a little wider and don't dig into my legs as bad when doing distraction work.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Reading a book about mobility and exercise is nothing like DOING mobility work and exercise.

I've got the book and have read many parts of it, but not all of it. I've been doing CrossFit long enough that what I read makes sense because I've done the movements. I don't think the book would be that informative to someone who hasn't done the movements.

So you're two months into CrossFit. You've probably covered the basics enough that the book would be beneficial to you. I think it would be a great resource early in your CrossFit experience in that it would help clean up your form at the beginning rather than correct errors later on. Also, it is a good reference as your experience builds.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Ron Reed

Profile:

Thanks for the input. Just ordered it off of Amazon. Thanks for the input on the bands. We use the rogue ones at our box but I will check out some of the others. We did some squat snatches today and our WOD had 100 ab mat sit ups so my hips are excrutiatingly sore right now. I'm extremely intersted in the functional mobility that Crossfit teaches. It will be nice to stay flexible and mobile as I get older.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

The book paid for itself instantly for me. I was having some back issues and after reading found out it was likely my tight quads, I did some of the mobility work in there and it went away almost right away. That saved me a trip to a doctor/pt so I figure the copay would have been close to the $30 I paid.

The thing I really like about it now that I work out on my own is that it has great instruction for proper form and if you are having issues achieving that form due to mobility restraints, what you can do to remedy that.

The thing I don't like is that he uses a lot of stuff I do not have access to and so my use of some of the mobility exercises is a bit limited.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Kristin Bowers

Profile:

I think that the book was well worth the 30 bucks. It goes into a lot of detail the pictures are nice (although a few hard to understand until it *clicks*)
More of an investment and one to keep around too.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

It will also help you tell the difference between sore muscles and something that actually doesn't move correctly.

Much of what you are describing just sounds like typical CrossFit soreness. Often you have to get through this stage to get to the point where you can start to identify true problem areas.

It is a $30 well spent. Just use it as a reference book. Very few people have time to cover everything so we tend to identify the biggest problem areas and work on those then move on.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Zach Summers

Profile:
Re: Hip pain after running on treadmill

Go check out Kelly Starrett's youtube account. Really, really good stuff in there.