CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Kim Sowinski

Profile:
Unhappy Help with Female issue....

I have a female issue I would like to discuss. I am sort of embarrassed but I really need some CF veterans to hopefully shed some light on a very annoying and embarrassing problem. So men, I would like to direct this question to the women but if you know anything about it, well any advise would be greatly appreciated.

First, I would like to give you a brief brief history. I am 42 yr old mother of one. I was active my whole life from doing Field Hockey and LaCrosse all through Middle to High School, life guarded, was into lifting weights. I went into the Marine Corps right after high school did 12yrs so remained very active and still lifted and ran of course.

Got out of the Corps with bum knee's and was in a stressful situation and stopped working out. Then I got out of that stressful situation and now I am the road of a renewed self discovery and have been doing CF since July 5th. I do three days a week at the box then I try to do Yoga/other classes at my Global gym since I had already paid for a 2yr membership, that was before I found out about CF.

Now that you know the history here is the annoying problem. Ladies if you are a mother I know you will know exactly what I am referring to when I say this..........I have a really bad "kangaroo pouch"(that annoying extra skin below the belly button) going on now! I am losing weight and I am even getting a waist line back again(tk you CF!!!) but I have a really bad kangaroo pouch which is making me feel extremely self-conscious!!! It's horrible, and its super.....super embarrassing! I hate it! I know you can't spot reduce and I am hoping that within time it will go away or at least go down some!!!!!

I wish I could just cut it off........LOL.....but I can't afford to!........LOL.......is there any hope for me???? Did anyone else have a problem like this or do you know of any friends that might have had this problem in the beginning? A friend of mine, who actually got me into CF to begin with said it will go away in time but she was never heavy like I was!!!!

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be most helpful!
Semper Fi!
Little Ms. Kangaroo
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Help with Female issue....

My wife had a baby in January and she has the same problem. You just have to build up your muscles by doing core exercises. I know this is a CrossFit Forum, but the easiest and fastest way to do it is by doing a bodybuilding type of routine for a couple of months, or doing something like P90X. Then, when you get the desired results, you can go back to doing CrossFit again. CrossFit can also get you there, but it will take longer unless you get some individualized programming for you.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Gina Shellhause

Profile:

I have the same problem Kim. I have been doing CrossFit for over a year now and it hasn't gone away. It has shrunk, but it is still there. I had C-section with 2 children so I attributed it to that. Maybe not though.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Charles Reagan

Profile:

Kim,I spent five years in the corps.I learned a lot about myself and training.My wife has the same issue after 30 years of marriage and 3 children.I used to laugh until ha ha I hit my 50's and developed a lower pooch sag problem when I overdid the carbs even when I was running.Karma is a b#$%&!I usually reduce my carb intake slowly when I get my problem and it reduces it if not totally makes it go away.I dont know if this would be applicable to you but your answer could be in your diet and you insulin sensitivity.As for me PROCESSED CARBS are the enemy(pasta,rice,bread,cakes,pies,cookies,etc.).I know this kinda sucks because we want to reward ourselves for all the hard work we do in the gym and outdoors but it really comes down to(for me)do you really want to feel your best and PERFORM better or feel sluggish sometimes and have that extra weight.For me I feel better on a better diet of fresh whole foods and eating to sustain my energy.Either way I hope this helps in some way.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Andrea Guajardo

Profile:

You didn't describe whether the skin is stretched or if it is just a fat pocket.

I have 4 kids, ages 3- 16 years old. As expected with each pregnancy, I gained and lost, gained and lost. I exercised and exercised. I lost as much fat as I possibly could, got very lean, built up my core, etc. But if the skin is just stretched...it won't go back. If actual stretching is minimal, then I would agree with others. The only way to get rid of it is to lean out as much as humanly possible while building the muscle mass below it.

I hear this same problem with many of my CF friends with kids. Tragic sacrifices we make for those kids
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Rebekah Bromwell

Profile:

Well it is embarrassing, but you are definitely not the only one with that problem. After 2 kids I leaned out pretty well and it got to be just some annoying skin, but after the 3rd I'm still trying to get to the "just annoying skin" point. It is embarrassing and obvious enough that when I wear close fitting clothes (like my workout stuff for crossfit, for example) I usually wear something like spanx underneath. (I don't actually spend $$ to get spanx, but it is something similar I found at walmart. Here is a link to the exact thing: (wfs) http://www.cupidintimates.com/cupid/...ist-brief.html)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Jocelyn Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Guajardo View Post
You didn't describe whether the skin is stretched or if it is just a fat pocket.

I have 4 kids, ages 3- 16 years old. As expected with each pregnancy, I gained and lost, gained and lost. I exercised and exercised. I lost as much fat as I possibly could, got very lean, built up my core, etc. But if the skin is just stretched...it won't go back. If actual stretching is minimal, then I would agree with others. The only way to get rid of it is to lean out as much as humanly possible while building the muscle mass below it.

I hear this same problem with many of my CF friends with kids. Tragic sacrifices we make for those kids
Not the OP, but I have the same problem (from being overweight my whole life, not kids) and I don't know how to tell if it's a "fat pocket" or stretched skin. What's the difference? Stretch marks? or would stretched skin be wrinkled/thin/unattached to fat or something?

I'm only 21, just lost 70 pounds and I'm really, really hoping that I can get my body back to normal. It's so frustrating!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Guajardo View Post

I'm a 46yo mother of 4, ages 12 - 27. I've been down to 12% BF - the skin is still there. Tummy tuck here I come!