CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Meat + how many X a day

Im new to both Paleo and meateating (18 days Paleo, been a Vegan for about 30 years).

So how often does one eat meat?

I knew that would look as silly as it sounded, but I am curious. Mostly because I dont want to overdo it, and because I dont know what that would be, thought it best to get some ideas.

Right now Im eating meat at three meals. Today, for example, I cooked up a pound of sausage. I had 1/2 cup for breakfast with 2 hardboiled eggs, then a 1/2 cup for second breakfast in a salad. I will probably finish the rest for dinner .. not sure yet.

Im a true grazer when it comes to eating, so whatever strikes my as looking good when I get hungry is what I will eat.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Meat + how many X a day

A good general rule is to have a fist-sized serving of dense protein with every meal, 3-4 times a day. That protein source can be meat, eggs, fish, shrimp, chicken, whatever. Then add in as many vegetables as you can handle, some fruit, and good fats with every meal.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
A good general rule is to have a fist-sized serving of dense protein with every meal, 3-4 times a day. That protein source can be meat, eggs, fish, shrimp, chicken, whatever. Then add in as many vegetables as you can handle, some fruit, and good fats with every meal.
Ok .. great. Thank you Eric. That makes sense. I already eat loads of fresh (mostly local and/or organic) fruits and veggies, just wasnt clear on the meat portion. I appreciate it!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

They're is a pretty large range you can do perfectly fine on. I love meat and eat 2-4 pounds a day. (raw weight, often including the bone weight if it has them) I am also a 6 foot tall 195 pound male.

Generally it's more of a eat how you feel thing unless you are having a problem with your goals. 1 pound + a couple eggs a day is more then likely a good amount assuming you are getting in enough avocado/coconut and starchy tubers to get a decent amount of calories in.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarie Wright View Post
Im new to both Paleo and meateating (18 days Paleo, been a Vegan for about 30 years).

So how often does one eat meat?

I knew that would look as silly as it sounded, but I am curious. Mostly because I dont want to overdo it, and because I dont know what that would be, thought it best to get some ideas.

Right now Im eating meat at three meals. Today, for example, I cooked up a pound of sausage. I had 1/2 cup for breakfast with 2 hardboiled eggs, then a 1/2 cup for second breakfast in a salad. I will probably finish the rest for dinner .. not sure yet.

Im a true grazer when it comes to eating, so whatever strikes my as looking good when I get hungry is what I will eat.
I like the idea of second breakfast. I also like your eat when your hungry mentality because it took me awhile to get there. I use to be real meticulous. If you feel like you haven't had enough protein, you can always double up at certain meals. So maybe you have 2x protein first breakfast, regular second breakfast, and 2x for dinner. I usually consider how much fat the meat has, as leaner cuts will have more protein. So if I am eating chicken thighs, I will try to eat more for protein. On the other hand, the chicken breast I will have to pair with more fat to make up for the leanness.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
They're is a pretty large range you can do perfectly fine on. I love meat and eat 2-4 pounds a day. (raw weight, often including the bone weight if it has them) I am also a 6 foot tall 195 pound male.
Ok .. another ballpark measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
1 pound + a couple eggs a day is more then likely a good amount assuming you are getting in enough avocado/coconut and starchy tubers to get a decent amount of calories in.
Ive gone from about 1000k a day (Vegan), to 12-1500 since starting Paleo. (And thats ballpark, based on Fitday.com.)

Regarding Paleo and 'starchy tubers', Ive read multiple sites with multiple answers. Some say 'yes' on potatoes, some 'no', then some say sweet potatoes only. What is 'ok' are parsnips and carrots - which I have been eating; and yesterday, a Yoga student brought me some home grown radishes. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
I like the idea of second breakfast. I also like your eat when your hungry mentality because it took me awhile to get there.
Yea .. I got the Hobbit mentality when it comes to eating: First Breakfast and Second Breakfast, First Lunch and Second Lunch, First Dinner and sometimes Second Dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
I usually consider how much fat the meat has, as leaner cuts will have more protein. So if I am eating chicken thighs, I will try to eat more for protein. On the other hand, the chicken breast I will have to pair with more fat to make up for the leanness.
Ok .. thats not something Ive considered yet; though, I do watch the ratio at fitday - mostly to see what Im averaging at this point, since the Paleo thing is new.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
Matt D Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Ive gone from about 1000k a day (Vegan), to 12-1500 since starting Paleo. (And thats ballpark, based on Fitday.com.)
oh my goodness...1200 to 1500 calories? You're going to get a lot of people saying you need to eat more. I easily average twice that
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Zane Jones

Profile:

I'd echo the comments that you should probably be eating more, but I'm not sure what your fitness goals are. From the looks of it, you probably aren't trying to lose a bunch of fat so I'd say you could increase that to 1800-2200 reap the benefits of more food.

To get an idea of where to start calorie wise, plug your numbers into here http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm (WFS) and adjust based on your own results.

In terms of meat consumption... Probably around a pound of meat a day plus 5 eggs or so. The meat at each meal and eggs as as snacks throughout the day.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D Miller View Post
oh my goodness...1200 to 1500 calories? You're going to get a lot of people saying you need to eat more. I easily average twice that
Im fairly sure this is within my range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
I'd echo the comments that you should probably be eating more, but I'm not sure what your fitness goals are. From the looks of it, you probably aren't trying to lose a bunch of fat so I'd say you could increase that to 1800-2200 reap the benefits of more food. To get an idea of where to start calorie wise, plug your numbers into here http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm (WFS) and adjust based on your own results.
Ok .. based on this site, it suggests 1294k a day .. so I am in the range.

As to my goals .. right now, its to start Paleo and CF. Double check!

Next .. not sure. The gym I joined has a board where folk sign up for a monthly challenge; that has got me thinking along those lines. Right now, my goal is to do CF for a month (Im on day 6, 3 days a week). I figure with a few more routines, some more experience, Ill be able to take an honest look at what I want todo next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
In terms of meat consumption... Probably around a pound of meat a day plus 5 eggs or so. The meat at each meal and eggs as as snacks throughout the day.
Im eating a pound of meat or more a day now, but only 2 eggs. Since I started Paleo, Ive gained 5lbs and seem to be holding (5"6" / 130). I imagine once I determine a goal, I can adjust from there.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:

Ok .. based on this site, it suggests 1294k a day .. so I am in the range.
I think (?) you might be misreading this, or am very severely missing your proportions. I plugged in 5'6" and 50yrs (i think you mentioned this as your age elsewhere, sorry if I am assuming wrong!). And it reccommends 2200 calories for maintenance, 1700 (deficit) for weight loss.