CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Potentially stupid question...

It's all about how you define what "looking good" is, and how much of a premium you place on your appearance versus your performance. Some women think a runway model or a Tracy Anderson follower is the ideal look and aspire to that; others would rather look like a 69kg weightlifter or a beach volleyball player or a top CFer or a figure competitor and go after those goals by training and eating like one of those respective athletes. Obviously I have my preferences of what I think looks good and is healthy, but I'm not going to judge the goals of someone who's willing to work for them.

It's unlikely that shooting for a "perfect" appearance will lead to peak performance in any athletic endeavor. It's also unlikely that going for peak performance will result in that perfect appearance, though you'll probably get reasonably close if you do things right. Aside from super heavyweight weightlifters or wrestlers, the guys who win national championships, NBA titles, or Olympic medals tend to have physiques that most men wouldn't mind having. To some extent it's the same on the female side, except that society and the fashion industry has conditioned a lot of people to think women should be small, willowy, and devoid of any muscle mass.

Keep in mind that, aside from photoshop, there are plenty of other tricks people use to get camera or stage-ready, and if you've ever been around a bodybuilder in the days leading up to a show you know that those tricks don't make them pleasant people to be around and don't make it possible to stay competition-ready for a prolonged period of time.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Scott Walters

Profile:

And of course there is always the stress/cortisol affect, that leads to keeping midline fat, if you become obsessed about it all! The negative body image thing is so impactful on health for both sexes. Train, eat well and enjoy it all, you will probably be amazed at what happens
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
Stephanie Williamson

Profile:

I don't think I could ever become as skinny as a runway/cover model, nor would I want to. I just want to be healthy and look AND feel good, so what I'm getting from everyone's responses is that CF is the way to go. I've definitely noticed a change since I've started, which is encouraging.
Besides, I enjoy some 'bad' foods too much to obsess about how I look or every little thing that I'm putting in my mouth, though I do try to eat cleanly everyday. Some days, it just doesn't happen for every meal though. I figure, as long as I'm not competing (which I'm not and won't be), I'd rather enjoy life every now and again and eat that brownie or take a day off.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I like the sound of that a lot. Wish more people would think like you
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Williamson View Post
I don't think I could ever become as skinny as a runway/cover model, nor would I want to.
Oh, anyone can do that. Take up smoking, become anorexic. Or bulimic, if you like.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
But if you want to compete in the Crossfit Games, well... go back and read what some of the male posters think about how those women look.
If I honestly say what I think about those women.... I'll get banned from here, and kicked outta my house too!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Stephanie Williamson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Oh, anyone can do that. Take up smoking, become anorexic. Or bulimic, if you like.
Hmm...would crack do the trick?

Just kidding...I enjoy my food and health way too much!

Last edited by Stephanie Williamson : 05-30-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Quote:
I figure, as long as I'm not competing (which I'm not and won't be), I'd rather enjoy life every now and again and eat that brownie or take a day off.
Oh trust me, even during training for Regionals, a brownie and a day off helps eases the mind! lol
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
I just want to be healthy and look AND feel good, so what I'm getting from everyone's responses is that CF is the way to go.
Besides, I enjoy some 'bad' foods too much to obsess about how I look or every little thing that I'm putting in my mouth, though I do try to eat cleanly everyday... I'd rather enjoy life every now and again and eat that brownie or take a day off.
Your question is not even close to stupid.

It's been my experience, personal and observed, that people rarely mean it when they say what you said above (especially the bolded part). Too often people begin the quest to "look good" without giving sufficient thought about their mental and physical health because they assume that by achieving good looks ("Destination Hotness" which is really a moving target) they will be happy, feel good, and of course they'll be healthy (good looking people are healthy, right?) Because of that, a lot of people will sacrifice good health and well-being just to fit in a size six or reveal some "sizzling abz" so they can show it off on facebook.

In my opinion, it doesn't work that way. The water flows in the opposite direction. Start by asking yourself what "feeling good" means. Because when I ask other people (and myself) I don't get answers about being able to walk up stairs without breathing heavy or taking long walks in the park.. I get answers that all come back to body-image, self-worth, and being desired. If "looking good" ---> feeling good, then I don't believe all the crossfit in the world is going to get someone to their goal of "being healthy, looking good AND feeling good."

However, I do believe if people begin by examining the issues I mentioned above and bring to the forefront of their thought the question, "Where do I derive my happiness?" their goal of wellness will be easier to achieve and everything will start falling in place. They'll have more fun, be happier, gain confidence, workouts will be better, and heck, they might start "lookin' good." But, hopefully by that time they won't care about it as much.

Crossfit is a great program, but it's not a magic bullet / cure-all... it's exercise. It's only as good as you allow it to be. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of CFers out there who have the lookin' good part down, but haven't come close to feeling good.

Sorry for the rant...

Edit: Stephanie, I'm not trying to say you personally don't mean what you say... I just know that most times I've said it, I didn't mean it and thought others might benefit.

Last edited by Zane Jones : 06-01-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Stephanie Williamson

Profile:

No that made a lot of sense. I do want to feel good and I've noticed a difference since I've started CrossFit. Admittedly, when I started, looks were my main motivation, but now that I've been doing it for a little bit, I find myself striving to do better for the performance aspect rather than the looks aspect. Besides, pushing myself with CF and eating well just makes me feel better in general, so I'll be sticking to it!

Thanks for the response!