CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Bob Perkins

Profile:
Need some feedback please

Hello, been wanting to start CrossFit for a while, and hoped to get a bit of feedback and see if someone could maybe help. First my background, most of my exercise/working out experience is from the bodybuilding/power lifting school of thought. Iím familiar with the usual suspects like squats, bench press, curls ect, Iíve done lots of work with the multi joint lifts like deadlifts, power cleans, rows and of course squats. I have absolutely no experience with the Olympic lifts at all (and these seem to be an important part of CrossFit). Biggest problem is, I havenít done much in the way of working out in way too long and I really need to start doing something.
I have a homemade power rack, an Olympic bar with about 500lbs of weights (no bumper plates), another 300lbs of standard hole (1Ē) weights and a treadmill from Sears. After lurking here for a while I made a medicine ball out of an old basketball, a couple of kettlebell handles made from an old oval shaped triceps bar and a couple of tires on rims. Also in the middle of making a set of rings from top grade Birch or Maple plywood. Unfortunately, my garage is currently packed with stuff from the house as we are in the middle of a remodel project of the dining room and didnít want stuff getting ruined. My problem is the only place I have to work out right now is a small room in the basement with a low ceiling. Iíve noticed some people here use unusual items in their workouts suchb as sandbags, big rocks, kegs and things. Iíd like to get a better understanding of how to incorporate/ substitute these items and the exercises you use for the WODs. I have seen the Brand X site with the scaling as well and once the garage is empty of the stuff in there it is my plan to set it up for the WODs either from the main site or Brand X.

Thanks for the help,

Bob
Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Need some feedback please

Not CF, but my friend Chip incorporates odd-object lifting all the time and posts video clips as well you can find them here (wfs): http://physicalsubculture.com/links/

Scroll down to the exercise and youtube links.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Bob Perkins

Profile:

Veronica, that's very cool and I found alot of interesting info on the site. Thank you very much. Now I'm hoping to figure out a way to sub some of those into the WOD for things I don't have available to me at this time. There must be a way to combine the odd/unusual objects with CrossFit and make it work.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Just make sh*t up. If it's heavy, lift it. Doesn't really matter how. Come up with something, amp up the intensity, and have fun.

- Mark
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Bob Perkins

Profile:

Mark, thanks, that's an interesting approach. I guess I'm still in the the mind set of doing things the bodybuilding way. So basically I should search for sandbag workouts and use what I like. Find stuff laying around the yard and keep moving without woryring about sets/reps and go for broke? Not trying to be a jerk, just hoping to get some ideas of things to do. For example, find a suitable rock and lift it from the ground to overhead as many times as I safely can without dropping the thing and crushing my skull. I guess a rock or log or sandbag can be used but vary the movements. Add some sprints, tire throws, or drags and have a good time.

Is that the idea?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

zactly! :-D
Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Bob Perkins

Profile:

DOH!! after re-reading my last post it would seem I am strong like bull and almost as smart as a rock!! Should have been worrying and not woryring. OOPS!