CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Kyle Buresh

Profile:
Post WOD Mobility Stretches?

I am sitting here at work and my shoulders are killin' me! I am not sure if this is the proper section of the forum to discuss stretching (I am new here!) but does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a band, I don't have anyone to help me, so are there any shoulder stretches I can do on my own while I am still at work for another 2 hours?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Post WOD Mobility Stretches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Buresh View Post
I am sitting here at work and my shoulders are killin' me! I am not sure if this is the proper section of the forum to discuss stretching (I am new here!) but does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a band, I don't have anyone to help me, so are there any shoulder stretches I can do on my own while I am still at work for another 2 hours?
Interlace your fingers, stretch your arms overhead, and turn your hands so your palms point toward the ceiling.

Interlace your fingers with your hands behind you, turn your palms outward, and raise your hands toward the ceiling.

Place your palms on your lower back, squeeze your elbows together.

Grab a door frame or tall file cabinet with one hand, arm extended and at about shoulder height. Turn your body away from the hand, stretching the front of the shoulder. Repeat on other side.

Hold one arm out in front of you. Hook the elbow with the other hand, pull across your body. Repeat on other side.

Need more?

Katherine
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Kyle Buresh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Interlace your fingers, stretch your arms overhead, and turn your hands so your palms point toward the ceiling.

Interlace your fingers with your hands behind you, turn your palms outward, and raise your hands toward the ceiling.

Grab a door frame or tall file cabinet with one hand, arm extended and at about shoulder height. Turn your body away from the hand, stretching the front of the shoulder. Repeat on other side.

Hold one arm out in front of you. Hook the elbow with the other hand, pull across your body. Repeat on other side.

Need more?

Katherine
So simple! But very effective, thank you!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:

Need more?

Katherine
Thanks for that Katherine, a couple of those I didn't know. Any for hamstrings? I currently do the one that involves putting one shin on the other thigh, but thats about it.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/
WFS

83 daily mobility WODs and counting. There are some on there geared specifically for what to do at work.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
Thanks for that Katherine, a couple of those I didn't know. Any for hamstrings? I currently do the one that involves putting one shin on the other thigh, but thats about it.
For hamstrings? I've been working on these lately since my hamstrings have been ultra-tight. Other suggestions welcome. Some of these also work the hip flexors and quads. It's a good idea to stretch all of the leg muscles if you're stretching any of them.

Sit on floor with legs extended. Reach for your toes. Relax. Repeat several times, trying to reach further each time.

Lie on your back. Using a towel or belt, pull one foot upward, keeping leg straight. Push away with your foot, then relax. Repeat several times, trying to increase ROM each time. You can also do a similar stretch by putting your foot on a box and bending the other knee to increase the amount of stretch. Also works as a partner stretch.

Samson stretch, but do not touch the back knee to the ground. Keep it active.

Cossack stretch. With feet well apart, bend one knee while keeping the other leg extended to the side. Repeat on both sides. Depending on foot position -- flat on the floor or resting on your heels -- this one stretches both the groin and hamstrings. Keep your hands on the floor until you're comfortable with the balance -- falling out of this one isn't fun.

Pigeon stretch. One knee and shin flat on the floor in front of your body, as if sitting crosslegged. Other leg extended behind you. The goal is to rest your elbows on the floor.

Russian walk. With each step, kick the stepping foot up to waist level or so and touch with the opposite hand.

You can probably find pictures of the cossack and pigeon stretch online. They're a little tricky to explain. Most of these also have variations that will stretch other parts of the leg/hip musculature.

Hope these help,

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 11-13-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
For hamstrings? I've been working on these lately since my hamstrings have been ultra-tight. Other suggestions welcome. Some of these also work the hip flexors and quads. It's a good idea to stretch all of the leg muscles if you're stretching any of them.

Sit on floor with legs extended. Reach for your toes. Relax. Repeat several times, trying to reach further each time.

Lie on your back. Using a towel or belt, pull one foot upward, keeping leg straight. Push away with your foot, then relax. Repeat several times, trying to increase ROM each time. You can also do a similar stretch by putting your foot on a box and bending the other knee to increase the amount of stretch. Also works as a partner stretch.

Samson stretch, but do not touch the back knee to the ground. Keep it active.

Cossack stretch. With feet well apart, bend one knee while keeping the other leg extended to the side. Repeat on both sides. Depending on foot position -- flat on the floor or resting on your heels -- this one stretches both the groin and hamstrings. Keep your hands on the floor until you're comfortable with the balance -- falling out of this one isn't fun.

Pigeon stretch. One knee and shin flat on the floor in front of your body, as if sitting crosslegged. Other leg extended behind you. The goal is to rest your elbows on the floor.

Russian walk. With each step, kick the stepping foot up to waist level or so and touch with the opposite hand.

You can probably find pictures of the cossack and pigeon stretch online. They're a little tricky to explain. Most of these also have variations that will stretch other parts of the leg/hip musculature.

Hope these help,

Katherine
Thanks for those ideas, I'll definitely try some of those when at home. Unfortunately though one can't do those in an office setting >_<
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
Thanks for those ideas, I'll definitely try some of those when at home. Unfortunately though one can't do those in an office setting >_<
That's kind of a problem with hamstrings, yeah. You can touch your toes, and maybe do the foot-on-box stretch, but that's about it.

Sitting on a lacrosse ball and rolling it around can be good, but that tends to help the glutes more.

Katherine