CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
William A Cantrell

Profile:
Re: Blacking Out During Deadlifts

When you pull that hard all of your muscles are contracting in a way your body is not accustomed to. This forces blood to rush to your head, this will cause dizziness, nausea, and black-outs on occasion. I wouldn't think blood sugar would have much to do with it, because you would or should still feel poorly after the weight was set down. Work your way up to max rep pulls and this should help, however if you feel bad, or you start to get tunnel vision, sit down, or at least take a knee. You don't wanna eat ****.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Jon Cowie

Profile:

I read too that during VERY heavy lifts using the valsava, you can cause the intra abdominal pressure to exceed the pressure within the smaller arteries within the torso, including the carotoid artery. Sounds plausible to me, although i am aware of the increase in blood pressure during the valsalva so it'd have to surpass that too before it caused any significant effects
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
An obvious question would be to ask about possible low blood sugar as well.
Hypoglycemia, as defined in clinical terms, is almost impossible to induce without insulin injections. It can also result from maximal exercise around 15min after eating high GI carbs, which causes both an insulin spike and insulin-independent glucose transporters to open. This is 100% a blood pressure issue. If he was hypoglycemic, he would have trouble... well, being conscious. This was situational after deadlift, which is a common issue since the Valsalva maneuver increased blood pressure tremendously. After the reps, the body is relaxed, significantly reducing BP. The dizziness is the accommodation period until the body can modify factors in the body to increase blood pressure.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A Cantrell View Post
When you pull that hard all of your muscles are contracting in a way your body is not accustomed to. This forces blood to rush to your head, this will cause dizziness, nausea, and black-outs on occasion. I wouldn't think blood sugar would have much to do with it, because you would or should still feel poorly after the weight was set down. Work your way up to max rep pulls and this should help, however if you feel bad, or you start to get tunnel vision, sit down, or at least take a knee. You don't wanna eat ****.
This isn't true. Your body doesn't force blood to your brain to cause dizziness. It's the Valsalva maneuver spiking BP and the resulting drop in BP after the Valsalva is released.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Ok...well im not a medical professional, but i don't particularly use that method, and when I get around 500lb on deads my vision narrows a bit. If I'm really working for max weight I have to hit lots reps at lower weights and then im fine. Also an increase in blood pressure would also mean and increase in pressure on the brain...right? I thought it would be understood i didn't mean your body forced all the blood in your body to your brain...i guess not.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
This isn't true. Your body doesn't force blood to your brain to cause dizziness. It's the Valsalva maneuver spiking BP and the resulting drop in BP after the Valsalva is released.
This was my impression. Blood pressure can go up 2 to 3 times during a big lift so there is a big drop off after you set the bar down.

If you get lightheaded after a deadlift just take a knee after you set the bar down. That's easy, fast, and prevents you from slamming your face into some dumbbells . I was in fact just giving this advice today at the gym. Bob had just deadlifted 275, a PR by 20 lbs, and he went down on all 4's as he got light headed. Did I mention that Bob is 61 years old? He's freakin' awesome.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

I think it's good practice to sit directly on the floor immediately after completing any strictly deadlift set. If youre doing something light during a WOD with a bunch of other movements, Id make an exception. Otherwise I always sit down and focus on breathing, putting my head in my hands and closing my eyes seems to help a little too.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Steven Low

Profile:

Don't hold your breath.

Its not cause of hypoclyemia its because of valsalva

instead of valsalvaing breath out the air through pursed lips as you lift

Or work with lighter weights