CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #61
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: I have failed at getting ripped for 5 years..please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Do you mean to suggest that your body can be in a state of equilibrium with respect to energy intake/expenditure while eating X calories/day, but somehow increasing your intake to Y calories/day, where Y > X, ceteris paribus, will somehow lead to an energy deficit?

When you figure out how that works, you'll be a rich man.
I don't think it's a great leap of faith to say that calories in and calories out are not independent variables in the energy balance equation of your body. Your body is smarter than that. A starvation diet triggers a famine instinct in your body that makes weight loss difficult. Eating enough calories on the other hand, gives you enough fuel to put that extra 'oomph' into your workouts and make your adaptation and recovery that much more effective, leading to an ideal body composition.

For body composition in the long-term, only trying to win calories in versus calories out will always be a losing battle.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #62
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Like Nic said, it isnt straight up energy in energy out.

Its more like...
Energy In (corrected for digestion) = (BMR/RMR + TEF + TEA + SPA/NEAT) + Change in Body Stores

so...
If eating more prompts your body to use more energy, and allows your body to not store all excess calories as fat, you wont always gain fat by increasing calories.

Thanks to Lyle MacDonald, whose article I grabbed the equation from. I dont think he made up the equation, but thats where it came from.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #63
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I didn't read all the responses, so this is certainly going to be a repeat. Nevertheless, it still needs to be said to you again.

1) Go to the CrossFit Journal site. Go to the Nutrition section and read some of the free articles. Here are two short summaries of the Zone.
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...Full_Issue.pdf
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ue21_May04.pdf
(all links wfs)

Read about the Paleolithic Diet. (The very basic gist is to avoid processed sugar, grains, legumes and dairy. Eat vegetables, quality meat, nuts, seeds and some fruit.) I know a CFer who dropped like 20 pounds after going strict Paleo for 1 month. He's kept it off since.

If you're only eating 2 meals a day, you can also read about Intermittent Fasting too.

2) Refocus your objectives to be performance-based instead of aesthetics-based. For example, I don't know any ripped people who have to take longer than 6 minutes to do Fran. Make that a goal first.

You're not going to see a change in your physique on a day-to-day basis. Focusing on performance-based goals will take your mind off how you look in the mirror, but if you're doing it all right and with dedication, you will see long-term improvements before you know it.

3) You know how much you bench, but you have no idea about your squat or deadlift. That indicates to me a level of exercise naivete. So not only do you have a lack of dieting knowledge as you earlier admitted, but you also lack training experience. Don't take it hard, we've all been there. My suggestion is to get your butt over to the nearest CF affiliate--an actual CrossFit gym.

The guy you train with now may be very knowledgeable, but going to a CF gym will give you exposure to more than just one trainer as well as other veteran CrossFitters who will have much more to share.

This last one is probably the one thing that will get you where you want to be the fastest.

I've had guys start out at my gym, hit the WODs with frequency (at least 3 times a week) and change their diets. Two of them dropped 15-20 pounds within 2 weeks to a month. I know another guy who dropped 70 pounds after 5 months at an affiliate.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #64
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
I don't think it's a great leap of faith to say that calories in and calories out are not independent variables in the energy balance equation of your body. Your body is smarter than that. A starvation diet triggers a famine instinct in your body that makes weight loss difficult. Eating enough calories on the other hand, gives you enough fuel to put that extra 'oomph' into your workouts and make your adaptation and recovery that much more effective, leading to an ideal body composition.

For body composition in the long-term, only trying to win calories in versus calories out will always be a losing battle.
All else being equal (which is what I said), the fewer calories you eat, the more weight you will lose. Your "oomph" theory suggests that all else is not equal. Nonetheless, how much extra "oomph" are we talking about? Burning 100 calories is pretty tough relative to eating 100 calories. I'm doubtful that eating X calories will lead to an extra >X calories being burned during workouts due to the extra "oomph."
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #65
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
so...
If eating more prompts your body to use more energy, and allows your body to not store all excess calories as fat, you wont always gain fat by increasing calories.
That's a big IF and I would like to see some research that supports the notion that eating more, all else equal, results in an expenditure in excess of the additional intake.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #66
Casey Crooks

Profile:

I gave it to you... thats the whole formula thingy.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #67
Casey Crooks

Profile:

But for the sake of argument, you cant keep everything else equal when you eat more. Thats simply not how your body works. I may be a little over ambitious with my formula. Eating more is not a great bath to weighing less. However, with the goal of body recomposition in mind, eating enough calories to sustain your body and not make it anticipate imminent famine and store fat is a good way to 1. Not store anymore fat. 2. Enable the loss of fat you do have stored.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #68
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Dude, it sounds like you don't run... Why don't you run..?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #69
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
But for the sake of argument, you cant keep everything else equal when you eat more. Thats simply not how your body works. I may be a little over ambitious with my formula. Eating more is not a great bath to weighing less. However, with the goal of body recomposition in mind, eating enough calories to sustain your body and not make it anticipate imminent famine and store fat is a good way to 1. Not store anymore fat. 2. Enable the loss of fat you do have stored.
Casey, isn't it funny how you're having to defend the principles of proper nutrition from the ideals of Energy in < Energy out while the case study of why caloric restriction does not work is on page 1 of this thread? I mean, you don't even need to give an example. There it is. Try to starve yourself and this is what you look like. Feed yourself properly and you look like ______ (insert CF champion here). I don't think Khalipa or Spealer or Orlando use caloric restriction as their nutritional recommendation, at least not to the point of Ein < Eout.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #70
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Haha thanks David. Didnt think of it like that!