CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Michael Schmidt

Profile:
I failed today...bad

So I tried the WOD today. It was my first time trying power snatch. I watched the videos and did quite a few practice reps to get the form down.

Anyways after trying Eva @ puppy the other day (400, 35lb 20 swings kettlebell, and 20 pullups x4) I decided today I would do a scaled Randy @ 65 lbs and 75 reps. I did a brief warm up that included pullups, squat (@ 95lbs), dips, and stretching and then went for it.

Needless to say I failed hardcore. I made it through 25 reps and my legs cramped extremely bad. I sat down for a few minutes and my legs werent getting any better so I packed it up and came home.

Here are some questions

1) I recognize that my scaled workout was way too difficult today given my experience with the lift and overall strength. Next time Ill scale way back to something like 45 lbs and 50 reps or something like that and hope to complete it. How exactly did everyone go about figuring out the weights and the scale that was best for them? Was it a trial and error thing? Did you max out on day 1 and scale from there? Is it better to start very low and adjust up?

2) After I failed at 65 lbs would it have been better to give myself a little break and scale back on the spot and complete the workout or just pack it up for the day and wait for the next WOD? Im unsure if I should have attempted more. I didnt want to risk injury so early into the program.

3) A technique question. In the video I watched the girl jumps as she is throwing the bar in the air. When exactly should you jump? When I was doing it I was doing it like a clean but when I had the bar right under my chin I was jumping to get it above my head. It was a fluid motion though if that makes sense. Well as fluid as a n00b can make it anyways

Thanks for the help. Im realizing right now how difficult cross fit is going to be! And Im loving it already!!!

Mike
Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: I failed today...bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schmidt View Post
1) I recognize that my scaled workout was way too difficult today given my experience with the lift and overall strength. Next time Ill scale way back to something like 45 lbs and 50 reps or something like that and hope to complete it. How exactly did everyone go about figuring out the weights and the scale that was best for them? Was it a trial and error thing? Did you max out on day 1 and scale from there? Is it better to start very low and adjust up?
Yes, it's better to start very low. If you've never done a complex lift like the snatch before, a length of PVC is not too light. It's a lot easier to add more weight next time than to come back from an injury.

A Journal article I read suggested 50% of your max as a good scaled weight for metcons. If you haven't done the lift enough to know what your max is, go super light.

Katherine
Old 07-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schmidt View Post
So I tried the WOD today. It was my first time trying power snatch. I watched the videos and did quite a few practice reps to get the form down.

Anyways after trying Eva @ puppy the other day (400, 35lb 20 swings kettlebell, and 20 pullups x4) I decided today I would do a scaled Randy @ 65 lbs and 75 reps. I did a brief warm up that included pullups, squat (@ 95lbs), dips, and stretching and then went for it.

Needless to say I failed hardcore. I made it through 25 reps and my legs cramped extremely bad. I sat down for a few minutes and my legs werent getting any better so I packed it up and came home.

Here are some questions

2) After I failed at 65 lbs would it have been better to give myself a little break and scale back on the spot and complete the workout or just pack it up for the day and wait for the next WOD? Im unsure if I should have attempted more. I didnt want to risk injury so early into the program.

3) A technique question. In the video I watched the girl jumps as she is throwing the bar in the air. When exactly should you jump? When I was doing it I was doing it like a clean but when I had the bar right under my chin I was jumping to get it above my head. It was a fluid motion though if that makes sense. Well as fluid as a n00b can make it anyways

Thanks for the help. Im realizing right now how difficult cross fit is going to be! And Im loving it already!!!

Mike
1. If there's any doubt about your ability to do the weight, it's always a good idea to scale a little light. This is especially true with movements that you're unfamiliar with.

2. Always ere on the side of caution. Better to cut short a workout than to get hurt and not be able to workout for a month.

3. This is the question that bothers me the most. Your description of your movement sounds more like an extended Sumo-Deadlift Highpull than a Power Snatch. The only real difference between a clean and snatch is the hand position on the bar (wider for a snatch) and where you catch it (overhead for the snatch, shoulders for the clean). You should bring the bar off the floor under control, explode or "jump" after the bar comes past your knees, and then pull yourself under the bar as quickly as possible. Also, your upper body should remain as vertical as possible throughout the movement. If you have a video camera, post a video to the Digital Coaching forum.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Olympic lift metcons can be dangerous if you don't have your form down on your lift. this is really true for any movement. do to the high rep nature of crossfit you have to be careful (search rhabdomyolysis). if you can't perform the move properly you should probably choose a different WOD or sub in a move you know. instead do some skill work (with the pvc) on that move you are learning.

definitely use the digital coaching on this forum. its a great resource and the feedback you will get will help you alot. even better would be to get some professional coaching on these moves.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Julie M. Lower

Profile:

The best advice I ever got regarding the snatch came from my Syracuse affiliate, Scott. When I did his Foundations class, he didn't teach me the snatch until Week 3. He taught me the overhead squat in Week 2, and told me to practice it every single day until the next class. Once I had nailed that, learning the snatch became relatively easy.

Take home message: get really comfortable with the overhand squat and practice it frequently before attempting the snatch. If your overhead squat is shaky, your snatch will be too. Conversely, if your overhead squat is solid...well, you know the rest.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Visit Mike Burgener's website, Mike's Gym, often for Olympic lifting information.
Catalyst Athletics is also great.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
John Devine

Profile:

Mike, if you don't subscribe to the CFJ do so. Read the articles and watch the vids on snatch starting in Nov '06 and going through March '07. Start doing the Burgener WU with PVC, then an empty bar.

Here's what I did for my WOD yesterday after reading/watching those articles:
1. Burgener WU with PVC
2. Burgener WU with Oly bar
3. 10 X 2 OHS
4. 10 X 2 snatch lands
5. 10 X 2 Snatch drops
6. 10 Hang power snatch

I was pretty toasted after that and I was only using an empty bar. It obviously didn't have the intensity of doing them for time but it was still a good workout. I was planning on doing some snatch balances but realized I was not ready.

Olympic lifting is hard and doing them wrong or before you're ready can hurt you. Take your time, read, post videos, go to an Oly clinic, go to an affiliate for coaching, do whatever you can do to get better.

Next time 'Randy' come up as the WOD, we'll both be ready.

-jd
Old 07-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Scot Heyes

Profile:

Hi Mike,

There is a great article by Clea Weiss - Scaling Less is More, in this article Clea informs readers that athletes new to CrossFit should spend a month or two learning correct techniques. She also highlights that these mainsite WOD's are designed for elite athletes that have CrossFit experience.

In this article Clea also highlights the fact that scaling CrossFit Wod's can actually increase power out put, there is also an extract on Jason Khalipa first posted Fran time in 2007, which was over 12 minutes and used substituted pull ups, yet Jason he went away and came back to win the 2008 CossFit Games!!

Nice to know that even the best CrossFitters started in the same place we have started from! There is hope for us all!!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Heyes View Post
Jason Khalipa first posted Fran time in 2007, which was over 12 minutes and used substituted pull ups, yet Jason he went away and came back to win the 2008 CossFit Games!!
Wow, Scot! You just made my day. There is hope for us all!

Mike, you have gotten some good advice so far. I started working out at an affiliate June 3. I had a private coaching session on Tuesday where I learned the snatch for the first time. It was hard as heck just using PVC. I saw that WOD yesterday, and my shoulders hurt just thinking about it. I can't say enough good things about the CF Journal! My husband is really tired of CF videos on our computer, LOL.