CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Charles Hwang

Profile:
Hook grip, why use it?

Hey guys,

For the past couple months on xfit, I have been using the hook grip without much question basically cause Coach Burgener says so. But like everything else, being faithful in something blindly is usually folly. So can you guys tell me what advantages the hook grip gives us as opposed to just how you would grip some rod-like thing typically (like a pull up bar for instance)?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Hook grip, why use it?

becuase it strengthens your grip. WHen you get into heavy weghts, your brain will start to shut down your muscles when your grip fails. It keeps you from having to use straps (which are illegal in competition) on the O-lifts, and keeps you from stressing your biceps by using a switch grip in the deadlift.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Hook grip is used for Oly because it keeps the bar the most secure from spinning as you move under it in the 3rd pull.

Not sure why you'd be using it for pullups but you can I guess. As for something like deadlift that's up to you... double overhead is generally better if you want to develop your grip better.

BUT if you're not used to hook grip then it could be useful to work it some with heavier weights (so you can get used to you have your thumb smashed). Sounds like you may not have this problem though.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

You can lift more weight in the snatch and clean & jerk. If you don't think so, it's because you're not used to it yet. Stay low on the start and use the hook grip - the rest usually takes care of itself.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Ed Haywood

Profile:

A hook grip "gives" less than a regular grip, so you get more direct power transmission to the bar. Same reason you wear hard sole shoes instead of running shoes.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Jamie, I never imagined you were so adept at the gripping of rod-like things. Do you get a lot of practice?

But seriously. When I do pullups, I prefer the "gorilla grip" or "hook hang", which just means I have my thumb around on the same side as my other fingers, like the hand position for a low-bar squat.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"When I do pullups, I prefer the "gorilla grip" or "hook hang", which just means I have my thumb around on the same side as my other fingers"

Yeah, who needs that opposable thumb. I never got this, thumbs around makes for a stronger grip, a stronger grip leads to more pull ups.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

I dunno, I actually feel better without the opposable bit. It gives me a little more freedom to move around on the bar, and seems to make for fewer rips for me.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Greg Pieris

Profile:

It hasn't been mentioned so far, but the real advantage of the hook grip is that grip is secured by friction between the thumb and fingers, rather than crushing by the hand. The result is that the forearm is more relaxed using a hook grip than a conventional grip at a given weight. This has an immediate advantage in olympic lifts. It will reduce the amount of arm pull and the more relaxed the forearms, the quicker you can whip around your elbows.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"When I do pullups, I prefer the "gorilla grip" or "hook hang", which just means I have my thumb around on the same side as my other fingers"

Yeah, who needs that opposable thumb. I never got this, thumbs around makes for a stronger grip, a stronger grip leads to more pull ups.
Jamie: I don't know of many others with this problem, but for me, it seems I lack flexibility in my forearm pronation. I find doing a pull-up (palms facing away from me) with the thumb around the bar to be very, very uncomfortable. I have to put the thumb on the same side of the fingers.