CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #41
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
Re: What Does Your Ink Mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Rocco View Post
Nice sleeve Andrew!
Thanks!

I wanted to get it done before my son was born because I knew once he was born, I would have more immediate priorities.

Now I want to get his handprints tattooed on me. I just can't decide where on me I will get them inked.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #42
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Here's mine, I'm a big Sherlock Holmes (fictionaly mystery in general) fan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bicep21609.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	3563  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #43
Jim Luckey

Profile:

I hope this isn't too far Off Topic, but have your tattooes changed at all as your body evolves with CrossFit? I'd love to get something on me for my son and daughter, but with all the changes CrossFit has brought and the improvements I still need, I was worried how they may twist or warp as the fat declines and the muscle emerges.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #44
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Luckey View Post
I hope this isn't too far Off Topic, but have your tattooes changed at all as your body evolves with CrossFit? I'd love to get something on me for my son and daughter, but with all the changes CrossFit has brought and the improvements I still need, I was worried how they may twist or warp as the fat declines and the muscle emerges.
This is exactly why I haven't gotten the other five yet. An excellent question, Jim... does anyone have any experience with this?

As to the one I do have, I've definitely added some mass to the muscles in my back, and there's more definition, but one's back is such a broad, flat plane anyway it hasn't affected my tat at all, really. I'd expect that tattoos on one's arms or shoulders could go through much more noticeable changes.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #45
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

That's a great question. Cause they tell girls to stay away from tatts in the "baby area" which makes sense I guess. But if you start out with small upper arms as a guy and then turn into Hulk that would suggest it would screw up the tatt as well
Old 03-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #46
Chris Walls

Profile:

I think something more photographic would be more noticeably distorted, but something more abstract not so much. I can't tell on mine because they're more abstract and I don't think I've gotten much bigger... just denser.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #47
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I have a Rolling Stones tongue on my left arm, when I got it I was a fat little deck seaman with no muscle. Now I'm a fat little retiree with more muscle, and my ink just takes up less room on my arm it hasn't really changed proportions.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #48
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

Lucky! Otherwise the tongue would have ended up looking like a cow tongue instead!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #49
Dave Matteson

Profile:

With sufficient muscle growth, yes, your tattoo could change since along with the muscle, your skin is growing/stretching to accomodate. However, your tattoo will generally not change proportions (e.g. "grow" more in one direction than another). At worst, it will appear grainy. If you had a good tattoo artist, he or she should be willing to touch it up to improve resolution for free/cheap.

Bottom line, if you anticipate significant muscle growth in a particular area, hold off a bit until you're out of the linear growth phase before getting a tattoo.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #50
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

It seems to me that unless you're heading into stretch mark territory, you won't have significant distortion. I knew a girl who got a rose tattoo on the top of her breast kind of towards the cleavage area when she was 18. She didn't "blossom" (every pun intended) until about two years later. Her rose... wilted a bit.