CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #361
Ajay Shah

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

I've read the CFSB article numerous times and just wanted to clarify something. I apologize if this has been asked before. I understand slowly phasing in the ME lifts but the article and boards don't seem to discuss how to introduce heavy metcons.
When doing the ramp up cycle, should we do the heavy metcons as we would do then when doing a normal 6 week cycle? Or is there a way to slowly introduce them?
Also, for the 3rd day with the 20 minutes or less metcon, I take it this doesn't need to be heavy at all correct? The article mentioned short and heavy on lifting days but I am just making sure day 3 can remain a normal metcon. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #362
Jamie Sanford

Profile:

Sean you say you only have 4 months to reach a specific standard of physical fitness? Are you planning on trying out for NZ SAS?

There selection sounds tough, CrossFit might not be the "Right" training method for selection.

Coming back from injury..... why not wait until next year and give yourself a year and four months to prep?

"to join the NZSAS, NZ Army, Navy, or Air Force personnel must successfully pass a fifteen-day (5 days pre-selection, 10 days selection) selection course held in Waiouru. Selection as it is known to service people is described to the Weekend Herald by a participant as "mental and physical torture".

Among the exercises is the notorious 'Exercise Von Tempsky' which is executed on the fifth day of selection course. Von Tempsky consists of 24 hours of marching in either a swamp or sand dunes while carrying rifles and alternately one or two 20-litre jerrycans and a 35kg alice pack. The final exercise is a 60-kilometre endurance march, carrying a 35kg pack, web gear and rifle to be completed in under 20 hours.

Officers undergo an additional 2 days of selection to test for the their suitability to lead NZSAS soldiers.

Even if candidates make it through the selection course, they must pass psychological, medical and academic tests (plus others) to be chosen for the nine-month SAS training course.

Candidates do not receive the coveted SAS beret and Corps belt until they have successfully completed the 9 month basic cycle of training."
M/28/5'7''/162lbs/16%BF/ Total 775 / BS 265#/ DL 375#/ BP 250#/ CJ 170#/ Linda 31:27/ Filthy 50 25:31/ Max Kip 30 /Cindy 20 rnds /
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #363
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Personally, I've been alternating between *5 and *3 schemes as needed. So I might do 2 weeks of 3*5 scheme, then if I can't move any further ahedad in that lift, I'd switch to the 5*3 scheme.

However, I've never been able to follow the example Marcus said (similar to the one in the article) where your sets of three pick up almost where you maxed out at the sets of 5. With deadlifts it's somewhat more realistic, since you only do 3*5 or 3*3, never 5*3. But say I do sets of 5 squats at 225, 230, 235, it's not like I can switch to sets of 3 and go or 235, 240, 245, 250. I've always found myself having to go back an overlap more, so that I'm only really gaining 5-10lbs on a lift immediately after switching to the *3 scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
So if you start with 3x5 at 100,105,110 and 3 weeks later you're at 120,125,130 but don't think you can pull off 135x5 next time, drop to x3 and try 125,130,135.

This seems like a really good idea; wish I'd seen it sooner! I found that really going easy on the # of reps in the warmup helps - e.g. sets of 1. Marcus, what was your previous PR on the sets of 3 squats before hitting 290?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
and i believe many on this protocol have found greater success with small initial jumps, then a bigger jump to the PR. So on my last BS session I did 225, 245, 290x3.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #364
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

What is the general protocol for the Metcons in the CFSB template? Should they as a rule be heavy, or should you mix it up? Heavy oly-lifting metcon one day, a circuit of calisthenics the next?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #365
Mat Frankel

Profile:

Alright I have made some changes on the sheet. I think it should be what your looking for. Again, send me pms or leave stuff here and I'll check back later.
Attached Files
File Type: email CFSB.xls (46.5 KB, 537 views)
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #366
Kevin Valentin

Profile:

I have a question and I don't know if it is really worth asking. Will a split workout work? What I mean is:

Monday Morning- ME Back Squats, Evening-metcon
Tuesday Morning- ME Deadlifts + high rep deadlifts, Evening-metcon
Wednesday Rest
Thursday Metcon
Friday Morning- ME Front Squats + high rep back squats, Evening-metcon
Saturday Morning-ME Press + high rep press, Evening- metcon
Sunday Rest

Or to keep the intensity should I just do all at once?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #367
Robert Mendoza

Profile:

Is there a list or any way to really identify which metcons are the "Short Metcons" to go along with CFSB?

Or maybe even a list of recommended metcons to follow along with CFSB?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #368
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Sanford View Post
Sean you say you only have 4 months to reach a specific standard of physical fitness? Are you planning on trying out for NZ SAS?

There selection sounds tough, CrossFit might not be the "Right" training method for selection.

Coming back from injury..... why not wait until next year and give yourself a year and four months to prep?

"to join the NZSAS, NZ Army, Navy, or Air Force personnel must successfully pass a fifteen-day (5 days pre-selection, 10 days selection) selection course held in Waiouru. Selection as it is known to service people is described to the Weekend Herald by a participant as "mental and physical torture".

Among the exercises is the notorious 'Exercise Von Tempsky' which is executed on the fifth day of selection course. Von Tempsky consists of 24 hours of marching in either a swamp or sand dunes while carrying rifles and alternately one or two 20-litre jerrycans and a 35kg alice pack. The final exercise is a 60-kilometre endurance march, carrying a 35kg pack, web gear and rifle to be completed in under 20 hours.

Officers undergo an additional 2 days of selection to test for the their suitability to lead NZSAS soldiers.

Even if candidates make it through the selection course, they must pass psychological, medical and academic tests (plus others) to be chosen for the nine-month SAS training course.

Candidates do not receive the coveted SAS beret and Corps belt until they have successfully completed the 9 month basic cycle of training."

Thanks Jamie for the post,

You're warm on your assumption there, but probably 7000miles off?

Regarding CF standard being right for Selections, no doubt CF provides the GPP base, especially the MetCon model, but IMHO requires significant SPP siplimention especially if a quicker ramp up is required.

I've come up with a pretty intense and interesting program that seems to be working and I'm not seeing any signs of over training yet? The time frames incl warm-up, lifting skills training, and alot of stretching.

AM = 1:30 hr
CF-SB Rotating thru the 10 core lifts - Cycle A = 5 - Cycle B = 5
WOD Self designed to mitigate clashing with other sessions

PM = 1:45 hr
Stamina SPP Session
Focus on 10 core GPP & Spp Stamina Movements and lifting them
to 110% of test levels
CF-E
Either CF-E or SPP MonoCardio Efforts (i.e. Rucking, Combat
Swim Stroke etc

I'm also doing 3 x 1hr of Yoga a week.

Huge program I know, but according to last Benchmark I am on track to hit goals in time and am pushing the CNS but not seeing signs of over training...yet.

Need ALOT! of rest and have to be disaplined with sleep and nutrition. Contract just finished, probably couldn't work fulltime and do this program at the same time.

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 06-03-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #369
Murray Birch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mendoza View Post
Is there a list or any way to really identify which metcons are the "Short Metcons" to go along with CFSB?

Or maybe even a list of recommended metcons to follow along with CFSB?
CF Football You must indicate if your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)has some beautiful heavy metcons.

Last edited by Camille Lore : 06-03-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: WFS designation
Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #370
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
Alright I have made some changes on the sheet. I think it should be what your looking for. Again, send me pms or leave stuff here and I'll check back later.
Quick question about the sheet. What weight do you want us to put in the initial weight column? Max set of three or five? Because it seems like a big weight jump per week. I.E, i put in 275 as my max set of three for deads and on week one it has me up to 290 i believe....any input..
Also, it seems as if every week is the same rather then adding a certain percentage every week. Meaning that week one dead lift is same as week 5.

By the way thanks for your effort and the spreadsheet is exactly what I wanted and it looks great.

Last edited by Jeffrey Crawford : 06-03-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: one mo thing