CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Racked with pain during workout

Maybe it's just because of a recent lack of metcons or maybe it was the running, but yesterday's Helen really beat me up. In no time, my right side, chest, and shoulder were hurting a lot. I had to stop running and walk instead, but even that hurt if I walked too fast. I finished the WOD, albeit with a pathetic time, but I would like to ensure that doesn't happen again. This has happened to me before, specifically in the dirty thirty and Cindy, but not until near the end. Here it was almost right away and a lot worse.

So - do the metcons and adapt or what?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Racked with pain during workout

Cramps? Pain? Something else?

I mean if you don't run a lot you're definitely bound to get some muscle cramps usually in the core.

If it's pain then there's something wrong...

Could just be that it "hurts" like you're extremely winded and stuff.. and that may be a product of lack of metcons (e.g. pushing yourself too hard as your body can't keep up with your mind).
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

The shoulder starts to burn, though I'm pretty sure the issue isn't in the shoulder. Chest and side just hurt - not a cramp.

I doubt I was very winded. The first run took me about 1:40 so it wasn't very fast. Everything slowed down from there.

I'm pretty sure the problem was in the running. I did a 7:02 Fran recently that was way more intense and had no such difficulties.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Sounds like angina?

Seriously, it does.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Actually, that sounds about right. From what I can tell, angina is caused by lack of oxygen getting to the heart. Running increases that demand. Narrowing arteries or such can cause a reduced amount of oxygen getting to the heart. As long as there aren't any factors that might threaten a heart attack (and I am not overweight nor ever have been), then could it just be that even arteries that work just fine aren't meeting the demands of the heart? In other words, could this be a harmless result of the intense effort, or is angina a threatening problem regardless?

I also read that cold can make angina worse. There was still some snow on the ground outside and I took off my jacket at some point in the workout (t-shirt only).
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, cold constricts blood vessels..

If a part of the body isn't getting enough oxygen the body should be able to compensate later on with angiogenesis (well, growth factors that cause angiogenesis)..

First thing generally, I think, is to work yourself back into it as slowly as you can (well, as slowly as you can for the lightweight competition, heh heh). If it hurts, just stop during the workout. No need to risk your health for anything.