CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-05-2004, 06:16 AM   #1
Larry Cook

Profile:
Any suggestions for improving foot work/speed? I was thinking of adding some more jump rope work, but wondered if anyone had other ideas.

Gracias.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Craig Stovall

Profile:  
Have you considered the "Dot drill" as shown in the 'Bigger, Faster, Stronger' conditioning program?

I know many athletes have used that with some success.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ladder drills, jumprope, cone drills, etc. Check out you library for books on agility training or books for football training.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:
Criag & Larry

Thanks for your thoughts. Craig, I have looked at the Dot Drills and they seemed interesting. Larry, there certainly are a lot of resources on agility, etc. at the library and on the web. That, though, is primarily the reason for my original posting ... I should have been a bit more specific, sorry.

I'd really like to know if anyone has tried anything in particular and has seen good results. I think we all know that there is a lot of advice out there on fitness and training, but not all of it is worthwhile.

I'll set up dots and a ladder and start with that. Larry, have you done anything in particular with respect to Kali?

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Douglas Sunlin

Profile:  
Work on your balance and explosiveness as well; these are critical to good agility.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Most of Kali footwork is based on triangles. Female, point at your feet. Male base at your feet. Tons of drills based on the triangle. Modern (as taught by Dan Inosanto) Jun Fan has the following footwork drills:

JUN FAN - Footwork
FREE LANCE SET #1 (SHADOW BOXING)
CONSISTS OF ALL FOOTWORK
1. STEP AND SLIDE SHUFFLE ADVANCE
2. STEP AND SLIDE SHUFFLE RETREAT
3. SLIDE SHUFFLE ADVANCE
4. SLIDE SHUFFLE RETREAT
5. PUSH SHUFFLE ADVANCE
6. PUSH SHUFFLE RETREAT
7. STEP THRU
8. STEP BACK
9. CIRCLE RIGHT
10. CIRCLE LEFT
11. STEP AND CIRCLE RIGHT
12. STEP AND CIRCLE LEFT
13. CURVING RIGHT
14. CURVING LEFT
15. REPLACEMENT STEP
16. HEEL & TOE SWAY
17. PENDULUM SHUFFLE
18. PENDULUM SHUFFLE (ONE FOOT)
19. LEAD STEP THREE WAYS (JAG STEP)
20. TRIANGLE PATTERN (MALE)
21. TRIANGLE PATTERN (FEMALE)
22. ROCKER SHUFFLE
23. LEFT STEP
24. RIGHT STEP
Old 11-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
bill rhoads

Profile:  
Larry C,
I saw your post and felt compelled to sign up and share my experiences with you.
Due to my recreational sport of choice (full court basketball), speed/quickness training has been one of my top priorities for the past couple of years. I have found two exercises that seem to work magic. The first is the good old fashioned Farmer’s Walk. Except I use a little lower weight and do Farmer-Sprints. I use a weight (dumbbells) that allows me to move quickly (just short of running). Lets say your Deadlift 1RM is 300lbs(give or take)- using that as a guide-I would start off w/50lbs dumbbells and work up from there. 5-10 30 yard sprints 1 or 2 times a week (depending on your age) will go a long way (this is from personal experience). Of course, proceed w/caution- running with weights can be dangerous : )
The other thing I highly recommend is buying a pair of Jump Soles and following their program (or modify it to meet your needs/recovery abilities). Jump Soles are designed to increase your vertical leap, but I found that they did more for my foot speed/quickness than anything I’ve ever done before or since.
Something many people forget is that your feet have muscles that need trained too. Jump soles do that. They make your feet (and lower calf/ankles) incredibly strong. You’d be surprised at how much foot/ankle strength factors into speed/quickness. Also, like the others have mentioned- jumping rope is a great way to increase your foot speed- highly recommended.

I hope this helps.
-Bill
Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Larry Cook

Profile:
Bill,

Welcome to the board! This is a great place to trade information. I never would have thought of jump soles for this, but that does make some sense. Plus, I've always wanted to try those things and my wife will get a kick out of my latest gadget. Farmer sprints will go over well at the gym, too!

I am really tring to improve two things here, that seem strongly related ... both speed and agility, and by agility I guess I mean a blend of balance and better foot coordination.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
Nick Massman

Profile:
how about a crossfit spin the biggest heaviest pair of boots you can find( work or hiking or even ankle weights) and do your ladders,dots,triangles in the sand. stairs up 2 down 1both feet touching each step all the way to the top. Also run in a cow pasture or gopher hole riddenfield were there is a little more at stake.if you don't place your foot correctly you fall or roll your ankle. just my 2cents
Rgs,
Nick
Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 AM   #10
dave ojeda

Profile:
Regarding the recommendation of jumping rope I wholeheartedly agree. Add it to your warm-up and once in awhile make it your primary workout. I have seen great increases for me with the addition of jumping rope.

Just a recommendation but think about getting the BOA 2000 jumprope from Accufitness. It is a weaighted rope and is a great addition to your toolbox. Not all jump ropes are the same , I have used many and enjoy the feel and the larger handles of the BOA2000. Check out this link to read a review of it:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=4041E7A227A2BDE8DE55F2839FCA49D0.ba13-1?id=463416