CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
Mike Rothschild

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics skills order of learning qestion...

Progressions to learn? I would say start with a handstand HANG (not the main one, this is below basic), then skin the cat, pike hang...do a skin to cat to pike hang and kip. Then, muscle up and then support. flyaway perhaps? Then the basic swing I'd say. After, back lever..maybe a basic basic basic handstand hang to pike, kip up a little to backlever? Then perhaps handstand, then front lever, then....cross? Cross will take a long long long time to get most likely. Just as a personal thing, I find the back lever on rings a lot easier than on a bar for some reason..

that's what I'd do, that's just me though

Last edited by Mike Rothschild : 12-14-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Mike:

Basic swings should be learned FIRST, if your goal is to every eventually do any sorts of rings routines with swinging elements. Strength is very easily developed while swinging technique has to be learned. This applies to ALL of the events that have swings -- pbars, high bar, rings, pommels.

Also, I have no clue what you're talking about in some of your descriptions.. handstand hang? You mean inverted hang? Again, kip up to back lever? Doesn't really make sense at all.

Alexander:

You already have some basic strength. If you ever want to learn swinging elements it would be a good idea to start those up first. If you read the paragraph I wrote to Mike it's pretty critical that you learn them now before gaining more strength. The stronger you are the hard it is to learn swinging technique because you try to muscle it.

If you wanted to learn some routines you can do the progressions that USA Gymnastics does. I believe the routines are in a thread somewhere on the drillsandskills forum.

As far as strength skills go back lever and front lever are the easiest then up to cross and straddle planche. Fun stuff. Programming something is relatively easy IF I know what you're working towards. You more or less have to pick things to work on.. even if it's a routine you want to eventually do or whatever. There's such a variety of stuff to learn that unless I have guidance I can't really construct anything worthwhile (well, maybe what I would prefer but that might not be what you would prefer).
Old 12-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Mike Rothschild

Profile:

yea, that's just the order how i learned everything basically..my coach wanted me to get me used to holding myself on there in various positions before swinging. It was 2 days before I was swinging though...

I can't really explain some of these as they're so basic they don't exactly have names. They were exercises I did to help me get accomodated with actually being on the rings. They aren't exactly "skills" so much as stuff I was put through to get used to being on them. Some of them were things I did in the first week I ever did rings

And yes, Inverted Hang...my mind is completely shot right now
Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

what I want to learn... probably all of ring skills
I do not have any preference as to what skills I'd like to learn right now.
so maybe as per your suggestion first starting with swing elements (I can do them twice a week at the complex) and front/back lever I can do at home (i am really restricted in hight there though).
Mike, I usually do inverted hang+inverted/piked hang pull-ups + skin the cat for WU.
I really appreciate your help guys!
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 12-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

What's your current workout and workout schedule? Should I synch this program WITH something like CF.. or should it be stand alone? How many days a week are you able to work out?

Need a lot of specifics. Basically post as much info as you can that you think might be helpful in addition to the above.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I have been following CF WOD 3+1 split until now.
I decided to make gymnastics a priority and going to do only gymnastics on day one and lifts and metcon on day 2-3.
I think gymnastics should be stand alone and I will take care of lifts and metcon so that they will not interfere with gymnastics progress.
can't think of anything else
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Uh well, metabolic conditioning is built into gymnastics programs (done right) and should be done 4-5 times a week.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #18
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I see, would you recommend doing gymnastics WOD from drillsandskills after working on skills? what about strength skills, should I still do WOD after those?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

How many days and how many hours can you go to these classes?

For instance, something like 5/2 on off works really well if you can get in the gym M-F. You do strength work on M,W,F and then metcon M-F after the strength work on the M,W,F. Of course you have to build up a huge work capacity, but it can be done.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #20
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Steven, I can get to the gym studio two times a week Tue and Thu.
So i will do strength/metcon 3 times a week, what about two other days? When you say strength workout, should it be gymnastics only? Can it be lifts/oly lifts too?