CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #91
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:
Re: Drugs, Alcohol, And You.

I did some digging and asked a buddy who actually researched the stuff before trying it and I found nothing substantive, though I don't have access the to the databases I had in college. He did say this, which is what one of us should have said in the first place:

"Ultimately, we don't really know what marijuana does and doesn't do to one's body and mind. We should simply run with the educated guess that inhaling hot tar from burning plant matter in order to artificially alters one's
brain chemistry isn't a good idea. That does not mean, however, that
anyone has the ability to declare its nature as fact. It is quite
possible to dislike marijuana without believing oneself to have
authoritative knowledge on the matter."

Anyway, enough with this discussion. I'm going to go do some snatches.

But I did like debating with you, Jason. Hopefully I'll see you next week at the gym.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #92
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Hahn View Post
I did some digging and asked a buddy who actually researched the stuff before trying it and I found nothing substantive, though I don't have access the to the databases I had in college. He did say this, which is what one of us should have said in the first place:

"Ultimately, we don't really know what marijuana does and doesn't do to one's body and mind. We should simply run with the educated guess that inhaling hot tar from burning plant matter in order to artificially alters one's

But I did like debating with you, Jason. Hopefully I'll see you next week at the gym.
If it doesn't cause changes, which it does, how do you explain your loss of motivation that you mentioned earlier?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #93
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:

I'll see you there if I'm done with my homework.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 AM   #94
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
If it doesn't cause changes, which it does, how do you explain your loss of motivation that you mentioned earlier?
I'd say they're not long-term. I'd give you proof of that by saying that I can deadlift 415 (2x my BW) and I got a 4.0 at DLI in Korean. Anyone who can listen to K-Pop to learn Korean has motivation. The only good K-Pop is a dead K-Pop. Death to Rain. The motivation thing only lasts about a day. Not long term.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 AM   #95
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
I'd say they're not long-term. I'd give you proof of that by saying that I can deadlift 415 (2x my BW) and I got a 4.0 at DLI in Korean. Anyone who can listen to K-Pop to learn Korean has motivation. The only good K-Pop is a dead K-Pop. Death to Rain. The motivation thing only lasts about a day. Not long term.
Congrats Nick, but I know people that never made it past high school. I did, but they didn't. A ton of people throughout the schools I've gone to start with weed and then try other things. Weed weakens their mind, just like alcohol. All of that gateway drug crap is true. I think if you are a heavy user it has more of an effect. A lot of people use it to hide, depressed people use it to feel happy then they feel more depressed when they aren't high. I was thinking..... I'm sitting here doing college homework when they're out working two jobs, still poor as s*it and probably trying to find ways to get high. I met someone that's in college that smokes pot not too long ago. That person still acts like a rebellious teen, wannabee gangster. What an idiot! I've seen it ruin people's lives, nothing will change the fact that it did, no studies, people, etc. Some people smoke it, become obsessed and care about nothing else besides smoking weed. Everything else goes downhill. Others smoke it and think it feels cool so they try other drugs to find out what that feels like. Others just like to get wasted, etc. I knew a guy that smoked that started his younger brother, who was in 6th grade or something at the time, smoke. It's terrible and I know for a fact that the United States of America needs that about as much as we need legalized prostitution. We don't. Stuff like that shouldn't happen, but it does and legalizing it will ensure it happens more. Time spent smoking pot could be spent bettering youself instead of making yourself worse.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #96
Corey Duvall

Profile:

And I again state that those who fall victim to letting it ruin their lives would have let their lives be ruined anyway. Lots of people work "two jobs" are still "poor as ****" and never smoked weed. The people had their attitude towards life to begin with and weed gave them a diversion. If it wasn't pot it would be something else. This anecdotal evidence just doesn't work. We've established that "successful" people smoke weed, "non-successful" people smoke weed, "successful" people don't smoke weed, and "non-successful" people don't smoke weed. What do all those people have in common?? The power of their own mind. Do they want success or not? Those who want it, get it. Those who don't want it, don't get it. It has nothing to do with their drug use or lack thereof.

Marijuana causes changes in the brain. Well so does Ritalin, so does Lunesta, so does a low-carb diet, so does a high-intensity fitness program. Changes in the body occur all the time. Whether or not those changes affect the mind of the individual is always up for debate.

Give people freedom and give them reason to use it.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 AM   #97
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post

A lot of people use it to hide, depressed people use it to feel happy then they feel more depressed when they aren't high.

I met someone that's in college that smokes pot not too long ago. That person still acts like a rebellious teen, wannabee gangster. What an idiot!

Time spent smoking pot could be spent bettering youself instead of making yourself worse.

Sounds like they are hiding from something ie. something is wrong to start with BEFORE they started smoking weed.

Are dope smokers the only people that act like rebelious teen, wannabee gansters?

Time spent doing a lot of things could be spent trying to better yourself, instead of making yourself worse. Things that people do like watching TV or eating themselves obese. Many people make bad choices. Many people allow those choices to ruin their lives. Some of those choices involve drugs, food, money, sloth, risky behavior (sexual or otherwise) or gambling among other things.

You keep confusing association with causality.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #98
Tim Donahey

Profile:

The way that Jason feels about cannabis is exactly the way that I feel about MySpace.

I went back through all his posts and inserted "MySpace" instead of "marijuana," and yep, the glove fits.

Down with MySpace!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #99
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

funny about myspace

I feel like it's also worth noting all of the environmental factors that shape one's existence.
It's not nature or nurture, but both. Political socialization was mentioned. There are similar influencing factors for one's success in life, motivation, health, etc. I don't mean to belittle integrity, drive, and the like, but the world is not that simple.

Marijuana can be/is an influencing factor, but is it the end-all-be-all? No. I think the outcomes are too diverse and diffuse.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #100
Brandon Oto

Profile:

As a bit of fuel to the fire, marijuana is decriminalized here (not "legal" but it's essentially a moral difference), and... not many people do it.

Closed Thread