CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:
CrossFit for Football

Hey you guys I'm new around here and i have a lot of questions. I'm a sophomore 5'6" 190-195 lb (about 20% body fat) defensive lineman for my HS football team. I'm starting CrossFit w/ my uncle pretty soon and joining Weight Watchers b/c Zone is actually not very good for teenagers/hard to follow w/ school, and I'm wondering, what would be some great exercises to help my football performance? Just so you know I'm not a great athlete, for example i ran a 6.19 40-yard dash, 18 in. vert. jump, 135 bench, 225 squat, and 300 deadlift. My goal is by next year to lose 30lbs. of fat, gain it back in muscle, improve my 40 time to 4.9-5.5, greatly increase my strength, and hopefully make a switch to LB, if not then i'll just be a stronger/faster d-lineman, b/c i know i won't do much this year. So, any suggestions?

Last edited by Jacob Rumschik : 09-08-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Re: CrossFit for Football

As a lineman, the Clean and Jerk (work/family safe) should be the backbone of your regimen. It's a tremendous tool for developing the explosive power you need off the line, and will also increase your 40.

Aside from that, just doing the WODs posted every day should help you with your overall goals of losing fat and gaining muscle. If done in earnest, the workouts will push you to and past exhaustion. They'll also help round out your strength profile -- a 135 bench versus a 300 deadlift seems a bit lopsided, especially considering the bench press is another important exercise for linemen. CrossFit will throw plenty of stuff at you (push-ups, dips, shoulder presses, etc.) that will develop great upper-body strength, or, from another perspective, increase your bench.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Joe Cavazos : 09-08-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: qualified link
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Bench press does not correlate well to a better push as a lineman -- mainly posterior chain when you are digging down in the dirt as a lineman trying to penetrate. However, bench is a good idea to work anyway because of the brute strength you can gain from it.

In any case, clean and jerks are very good. Keep up the regiment of heavy full body stuff like squats and deads. Definitely get your bench up.

Doing CF will definitely help your endurance as the game wears on. I think Jesse Woody helped do the strength and conditioning program for one of the HS in virginia which worked pretty well and made them very good from average. You should ask him about that if you see him on here.

I don't see how Zone is bad for teenagers.. much less hard to follow. HS aren't that strict with eating (well, mine wasn't) especially when you can just pull stuff out of your backpack and scarf it down between classes. You just have to be disciplined in what you eat and take appropriate proportions. Diet is key to losing weight as you know though. Heh, you don't really need to waste money on weight watchers.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

I agree with Steven, pack apples, jerky, nuts in your backpack. Don't waste money on a program when you can just use the weekends to get food that will cost much less and pack your lunch and snacks before you go.

The trick to the Zone is to get used to it, then making meals and snacks takes no time at all. I've gotten to the point where a 3 and 2 block snack and a 4 block lunch takes no more then 10 minutes to make. You'll be chopping up foods for salads faster then chefs on TV. :stir:
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Corey Duvall

Profile:

I think Nicole put it best to me at the cert I attended. There is a spectrum for nutrition. On one end, eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Do this to support activity but not body fat. I think sticking to that diet will help you tremendously. For a more precise prescription, the Zone is utilized to balance the macronutrients for OPTIMAL performance (carbs, protein, fat). I'm not sure what weight watchers entails, but I wouldn't be spending any extra money. Cut down your bread and pasta intake, increase your fruits and vegetables and see how it works for you.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Jason Neago

Profile:

Jacob,

I am not a crossfit expert. In fact I have just started religiously doing the WODs about a month and a half ago. I played football from 1st grade until hanging up the cleats my sophmore year of college. I never really made anything out of my college career so take what I say with a grain of salt.

My high school focused on bench press, incline presses, and squats. The squat should be a one of your most important lifts above the beach muscles (bench and biceps). I never really focused on the "O" lifts until I got to college and that made a world of a difference for me. In my explosive bursts and my ability to lay the wood. Bottom Line I wish I knew more about Crossfit when I was in high school.

As for speed try sprint workouts if you haven't already. Constantly mix up your sprint workouts. Some exercises that you could add are falling sprints and pop sprints.

Good luck this season and seasons to come
Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

I don't follow the Zone diet, but I'd say it's got to be better than Weight Watchers for a teenage football player. You're still growing. If you lay off the sugar and junk foods and eat lots of protein and lean fats and better carbs (fruit, veggies) and work out you should be fine. Weight Watchers seems like a waste of money and time, especially for an athlete. It's not aimed at athletes, and they are as likely to emphasize the results on the scale while you'll be looking mainly for results on the field.

I'd just clean up your diet a bit - but still eat a lot, you're young and growing and in a demanding sport with a demanding exercise program - and go from there.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Justin Algera

Profile:

At 190lbs, Im not sure you want to be losing weight as a defensive lineman or a linebacker... Weight Watchers isnt going to do it. I would do a lot of sprint work and Olympic lifts. Also, work on your technique as a DL/LB. You can be strong and fast, but if you dont know you to take on blockers, shed them, and tackle, you wont be very helpful.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Brad Davis

Profile:

One my my close relatives has tried both Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, so I've seen what they give to eat. It is TOTAL crap. Forget it and do what the others are saying. Can't believe nobody's posted a link to www.simplefit.org yet. Go there and read their section on nutrition. Make a reasonable shot at following their recommendations and you'll be fine. I suspect the Zone is intimidating because of the measuring, etc. Simplefit's nutrition ideas will be easy for you to follow.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Where did you hear that the Zone wasn't good for teenagers? I'm just curious where this information is coming from.