CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
jason hunter

Profile:
I'm new to the zone diet and just have a couple of questions. I'm sure it's here somewhere, but just indulge me. After I figured out my lean body mass and activity level, I should consume approx. about 130-140 grams of protein a day. But If I follow the zone plan of 4 blocks of protein per meal and 1 block of protein twice a day for snacks, I fall short of this goal. Should I up my blocks of protein per meal or just supplement with protein powder. My goal is to lose excess bodyfat so any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
I'm confused as to how you came about 130-140 grams = 14 blocks (4 each main meal and 1 each snack).

140 grams would be 20 blocks, at 7 grams per block. Your numbers aren't adding up.

I would find out what you want to be at, and go with that many blocks per day. Once you reach the body fat % you want, start eating 3x the normal amount of fat.

Here is a helpful guide, and an even more helpful calculator developed by myself.

Attached Files
File Type: email Zone Block Calculator2003.xls (97.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
jason hunter

Profile:
Thanks for the info George. I came up with my protein numbers from the book mastering the zone. I used their body fat calculations and then figured out my protein intake, per lean body mass. I do the cross-fit training and run a couple times a week as well, but I'm intested in losing about 20 to 30lbs. So do you think the 4 blocks per meal is enough, or should I bump it up.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:
Well I can only tell you what I've done as each person is different. I can tell you though the Zone has worked where everything else, even very clean eating has not. I am not a hard gainer at all, I can gain weight extremely easily. In a 3 month deployment I went from 180 to 210 just doing a bodybuilding routine and packed on lots of muscle. Of course I then came home and lost it all. Thank goodness for CrossFit, I have found something I truly love to be a part of, which is probably why I hang out in these forums so much. I love the exchange of information and the intellectual stimulus that can be found here is far above the norm.

I started out on 21 blocks and felt fine, but I knew I was eating a ton, I felt like it. Meals felt heavy and I felt heavy.

So I plugged into the calculator what I wanted to weigh, rather then what I was at. I figured like you, I wanted to lose excess fat and gain some muscle, but my goal wasn't necessarily strength or to be huge, but primarily the metcon effect of CrossFit. So I gave myself a target of 180 from 198. So I plugged in 180 and dropped my blocks to 19, then 18, and now 17. At 17 I'm now at 175, my metcon and strength have both improved dramatically and I'm at 7% body fat. This is where I want to be. A fortunate side effect has been a huge increase of strength and power without even trying to gain it, while losing weight!

Now that I'm where I want to be I then tripled my fat intake to 51 blocks a day. So at each of the main meals I eat 15 blocks of healthy fats, primarily extra virgin olive oil, almonds or walnuts, and avocados. When I first got to 175 I did feel a bit weary when doing WODs but the added fat almost immediately got rid of that. The reason why I and others have used fat is because it doesn't have a glycemic effect, and has 9 calories per gram compared to carbs and protein which only have 4.

I will say though I am extremely adamant about drinking enough water each day. I drink 96oz on workout days + whatever I get at the drinking fountain at the gym. I get at least 80oz on rest days.

Biggest thing, you can be picky about measuring on the zone, or you can measure for awhile then eyeball it. I measured until I had an idea and now I eyeball it for the most part. I probably could drop to 5% BF if I was really picky, but I am not. I only measure carbs that can be easily measured. Unless it is protein powder I eyeball the protein amount. Fat is usually just measured with a teaspoon.

I also do not have cheat meals, which many people advocate. I use what I call "cheat ingredients".

Making a salad? I'll throw on some extra fresh feta cheese for flavor. Or i'll maybe add a whole wheat tortilla shell and make my salad a wrap. I might add some blueberries to something. I've even created a no bake protein bar using Kashi cereal, chocolate protein powder and peanut butter. I am to the point a real cheat meal (I'm thinking Burger King) would make me very sick.

I have to admit, I have read 0 of Dr. Sears books. All the information about the Zone I found in these forums.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
jason hunter

Profile:
thanks for the input george, I appreciate your knowledge and thanks again.