CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
For the month of July I have given up beer to see if that is the reason for me not being able to lose the small amount of fat on my stomach. Since I have started this monumental quest I have been unable to stop eating bread and Peanutbutter. I have cravings that are crazy. I am completly famished even though I haven't increased my WOD or decreased my eating. Is there a connection?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
How much beer were you consuming?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
about 15 a week
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Sounds like you need to make up the calories elsewhere.

Or you may just be in depression XD
Old 07-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:
15 beers a week?

Beware this post is blatant.

Sounds to me like withdrawal. I hate to be a poor sport, but that is 2 1/7 beers a day (or is that 5 one night and 10 the other? The point being you either drink beer every day or you binge). For all the studies that say that alcohol can have good effects there are plenty more stating that the downsides outweigh the benefits.

Lets see, you can't lose your fat because the alcohol slows your metabolism so you eat bread (tons of carbs = fat pills) and supplement with peanut butter (not necessarily bad, but you didn't state the amount).

The fact you use the word "crave" also leads me to believe that you let 1 square inch of tongue and the dopamine receptors in the pleasure center of your brain determine how you eat/drink rather then the mushy gray matter that is your conscious mind. Also another sign of withdrawal, and potentially social alcoholism. While this may sound far fetched, go back to the 1920-40s where a nightly gin and tonic didn't seem like much, yet many people were social alcoholics.

First - understand what beer does to you, realize what eating the bread + peanut butter and what the word "crave" really means, and then act accordingly.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Vic Blanchard

Profile:
Yes I would say there is a connection. Personally I don't think it stems from social alcoholism or letting your taste buds go wild.

I quit alcohol at the beginning of this year and noticed an increased appetite and cravings for food as well. Actually, peanut butter and bread is a staple cheat food for me, so I feel your pain. I can say that it took some time, but the cravings did stop.

I dont have much advice other than to stick with it.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Chris Honnon

Profile:
I come from an "excessive use" background myself and feel somewhat obligated to respond to George's post. I agree with the deduction that 15 beers a week is not a healthy signal. The point that this equates to either daily drinking or binge drinking is right on, IMO. It is no surprise that you're body (and mind) are looking to substitute as this is a natural response when removing something done in excess.

I have seen it hundreds if not thousands of times; people battling with "cravings", many of them never getting healthy. Because of this experience I have a bit of a jaded opinion when it comes to the topic of "social alcoholism".

Since you didn't ask for anyone's opinion regarding the frequency or amount you drink though I will shut up about it. Before I do I will say, however, I believe that 15 beers a week is a lot and that you are doing a great thing for yourself in trying to abstain for a while. The cravings will stop eventually.

There is also the fact that 15 beers per week, depending on the beer you drink, is providing up to 3000 extra calories per week plus potentially several hundred grams of extra carbs. Your body is used to having these calories available so I don't find it a surprise that you are craving something else. Maybe the bread is significant in that there are similar ingredients in both bread and beer? As for the peanut butter - who doesn't crave peanut butter? :-)
Old 07-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
How is the rest of your diet? If you have cut 3,000 cals a week out of your intake sounds like your body wants to make it up somewhere. I assume if you cut 3k of fat/protien out of your diet something similar would occur. At least you are "craving food".

Are you eating zone? If you have bread (and peanut butter) in the house you are obviously not eating paleo

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2007..._by_nicol.html

buy the above article from the crossfit store, hear about how Nicole started on the zone diet and how bad her cravings were, just from a diet change (no mention of quiting anything else) EXCELLENT article!

I agree who does not crave nut butter, I eat some form of it daily, but do try to use either almond butter or cashew mac. I really stay away from bread and pasta though.

(Message edited by vcraig on July 07, 2007)
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
Thanks for the posts. I have been the poster boy for zone the last six months and have lost 32lbs while increasing my strenght I am the strongest I have ever been. I have dropped about 13%BF and feel great. However, I did notice that 15 was too many and thought that if I am to get "fit" then it had to stop. Hence the no beer. My GF and I just moved in together and I am trying to get her to stop buying bread and non zone stuff. that is a challange in itself. so during the last week 7-15 days I have been off my game when it comes to diet. WODs are getting back on track after painstorm follewed by Murph. Had a case of DOMS for sometime. Anyway, will keep this helpful and insightful info in mind the next time the bread and PB is calling.

PS George, no worries. I saw it coming.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Mike Gray

Profile:
Heya Stve -

Quite apart form the fitness aspect, that no beer thing sound like the sort of stuff GFs tend to see as evidence of a guy worth sticking around with. Good work. Your system will gradually even out.

Assuming you're trying to stick to the zone, maybe you could find some other snack to keep handy and shove down whenever you get the cravings?

BTW, it's nice to know that I'm not the only guy who took quite a while to live down Murph. This evening is the first time I have completely ceased to feel any sign of DOMS - and the paint was pretty severe up to three days ago!