CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Matthew Harris

Profile:
Need to switch up the diet

For the past five months I have been working out at a local affiliate 3x a week (with two eveing runs scattered throughout the week) and my macros were roughly 55F/30P/15C. I never did a body comp. but I felt good and results were slowly coming when I looked in the mirror.

I'm now currently in the middle of week two of a new workout regimen I started and it hit me today that I'm probably not eating right from a macro standpoint. I now workout at a globo gym in the a.m. before work. My workouts consist of a warm up, followed by something like 3-3-3-3-3 of (insert heavy oly. lift here), followed by a WOD, followed by a 10-15 interval run on the treadmill or bike. Each workout takes me roughly an hour. I'm doing all this on the 3 on 1 off approach.

I don't know why but somewhere along the way in the past month I decreased my fat intake and replaced it with carbs. I feel fine, but I can tell fat loss has stalled. I used to get my fats from almonds, eggs, not so lean cuts of meat, and olive oil. Now it's pretty much all eggs. Where should my caloric intake be? Right now I'd guess it's around 1800. Is my stalled weight loss due to the decrease of fat intake and increase in carbs? Or am I another victim of "not eating enough".

For the record, I'm 24 years old, 6'3" and 190 lbs, and I'm hoping to stay at 190 but trade some fat for muscle.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Need to switch up the diet

1800 calories is a pitifully low intake for an active, 6'3", 190lb male. Macro breakdown will be irrelevant as long as you keep eating that little.

3000 calories should be an absolute minimum for you, and even that number probably won't be enough for muscle gain.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Amber Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
1800 calories is a pitifully low intake for an active, 6'3", 190lb male. Macro breakdown will be irrelevant as long as you keep eating that little.

3000 calories should be an absolute minimum for you, and even that number probably won't be enough for muscle gain.
Agreed. I'm a pushing-40, 155 pound, 5'10 soccer mom and I eat almost twice that.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Edit:
Bleh, didn't see everyone elses responses. They said it better.

Last edited by David Z Sachs : 06-08-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Deleted my response, better comments already posted before me.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Matthew Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

I have always considered myself somewhat knowledgeable about diet and excercise, but I have apparently been in denial about my own habits and needs. I have always assumed I wasn't one of those that needed 3,000 calories worth of food a day. I thought people that needed that much were serious athletes; not bankers who work out at 5 a.m. before going to work and sitting in front of a computer all day.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

No, people who sit in front of a computer all day don't need all that much food.

That said, a 6'3'' 190# male probably needs about 1500-1900 calories to sit in front of a computer all day. Assuming you do nothing else but sit and walk minimally.

Now, add to that your workout load, you need more calories. I'd shoot for 1g/lb of protein, a good 100-200g of carbs post workout (where the bulk of your carbs should be). The rest of your day eat protein and fat to get up to around 3000calories.

Run like that for 4 weeks and see what happens. Nutritional changes cannot be realized in a few days or a week, you have to give your body time to adjust.

Eat real food(meat veggies, fruit and berries, potatoes, yams), minimize the omega 6 fats and supplimental food (i.e. protein shakes) and you should see positive changes.

What are your numbers, squat, dead, crossfit benchmark wods? Unless you are low body fat (which is sounds like you aren't) I wouldn't worry about leaning out so much but instead focus more on strength work. Gain about 30 lbs on your frame and 100lbs on your squat and then see how easy it is to lean out.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 06-08-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harris View Post
I have always considered myself somewhat knowledgeable about diet and excercise, but I have apparently been in denial about my own habits and needs. I have always assumed I wasn't one of those that needed 3,000 calories worth of food a day. I thought people that needed that much were serious athletes; not bankers who work out at 5 a.m. before going to work and sitting in front of a computer all day.
Serious athletes with large amounts of muscle mass are going to be eating far more than 3,000 calories unless they're cutting weight for some reason. I'm far from a serious athlete, but I start to get skinny in a hurry if I don't get 4,000+.

Sure, you don't need more calories....but you also don't need to add 100lbs to your squat or deadlift or be able to do more pullups or you name it. But if you want to add lean mass and see your performance improve, eating more would help you out.

Your macro ratios were fine before, and were still probably fine even when you added more carbs in place of fat. The problem is the quantities aren't nearly enough.