CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #171
Russell Berger

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Quote:
It does seem like there will be a lot of injuries coming from this one. Didn't they have a box-jump WOD last year that led to a bunch of snapped achilles?
I've never heard this before. I did some research and it looks like it is mostly trolls trying to spread rumors. I have no doubt that there are a couple of legitimate cases of this injury from the Open last year, but let's think about it:

The Open had 27k participants last year. If there was a 1% achilles injury rate out of 27000, there would be 270 achilles injuries. I know there were not 270 achilles injuries...I've seen what looks like maybe a handful of legitimate cases followed by fear-mongering. Even an achilles rupture rate of .01% would be 27.... there is no evidence for this as far as I can see. Unless someone on here can provide it, I'm not sold. If you can provide it, I'd argue that statistically you're looking at one of the safest sports an adult can participate in.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #172
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

49 reps for me this morning. At 30 reps there is too much volume for me to squat snatch this and 135# is a bit too heavy to straight power snatch. I found a good power-squat snatch movement that started to work about halfway through. Missed 4 reps - 2 squats and 2 power...

Here is a good quote I read on mainsite (similar to how I feel about this): "For the record this workout will see me stop at 30 reps as 60kg is 2.5kg more than my 1RM. With my Olympic lifting ability I shouldn't be going to regionals and this will weed me out from the top. Exactly what should happen."
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #173
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
I've never heard this before. I did some research and it looks like it is mostly trolls trying to spread rumors. I have no doubt that there are a couple of legitimate cases of this injury from the Open last year, but let's think about it:
The 11.2 workout took my trainer out of the Open competition as described on the box jumps (he competed in 2010 at regional & sectional level).

I'm not sure if it was the same case, but I know Scott Paltos also made it through the Open and into the NE regional, but sustained a similar injury (though I don't now details) during the box jumps in the regional DL/box jump wod and had to bow out.

That said, I don't disagree with you. Injuries happen, the rate of injury to headcount in some other sports (such as soccer) is considerably worse than that of crossfit or weightlifting (at least in terms of documented injuries..).

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 03-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #174
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I was counting on roughly 2 minutes or less at 45lb, 5 minutes at 75lb, with 1 minute give or take used up by switching weights, leaves me with 2 minutes for whatever I can do with 100lb.
My strategy as well. Well see how close I can stay on that pace. Coming back from two shoulder and one hip surgery in two years, my strength is down (my stamina has never been there. Lol) whereas 100 I could have easily power snatched for reps several years ago, they'll be squat singles for this wod.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #175
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
It does seem like there will be a lot of injuries coming from this one. Didn't they have a box-jump WOD last year that led to a bunch of snapped achilles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post

The Open had 27k participants last year. If there was a 1% achilles injury rate out of 27000, there would be 270 achilles injuries. I know there were not 270 achilles injuries...I've seen what looks like maybe a handful of legitimate cases followed by fear-mongering. Even an achilles rupture rate of .01% would be 27.... there is no evidence for this as far as I can see. Unless someone on here can provide it, I'm not sold. If you can provide it, I'd argue that statistically you're looking at one of the safest sports an adult can participate in.

Thoughts?
I definitely agree with Rusell here. The statement: "there was a box-jump WOD last year that led to a bunch of snapped achilles" is not based in fact.

I will recant that if there is hard evidence.....

Its the same thing with kipping pull-ups, I have been around CrossFit for a couple of years now and never heard of one REAL case of them leading to shoulder problems.

When I played rugby last year, I sprained a shoulder and got a concussion - but I never got any of those speaches that new CFers get (on the internet) about how dangerous excercise is!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #176
David Hare

Profile:

K Clever is going to tear this one up, since she usually snatches with the men's Rx weight.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #177
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
I definitely agree with Rusell here. The statement: "there was a box-jump WOD last year that led to a bunch of snapped achilles" is not based in fact.

I will recant that if there is hard evidence.....
I was on crutches at the time with the same injury (basketball), so I probably paid a little closer attention than most. I could name 10 off the top of my head just in southern california. I'm sure it wasn't thousands world wide, but it was enough to raise an eye brow. Some really good athletes, too.

Based on my findings I now make everybody at my affiliate come off the box, set their feet and jump back up.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #178
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sean, 5 or 8 reps of 210 after 11,250lbs of weight thrown and caught is damn impressive.

I still think the 20lb jump for the ladies from 100-120 was too small.

I'm not getting into the box jump achilles BS really. It was last year, it's out there and bare in mind achilles injuries, in general, are pretty rare. I'm sure there is a bit of on this forum in the injuries section and there were lots of them posted on CF gyms blogs.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #179
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Sean, 5 or 8 reps of 210 after 11,250lbs of weight thrown and caught is damn impressive.

Oh - I agree. 1 rep at 210# is pretty damn impressive... especially considering the buy-in of 90 reps at the various lesser weights - for time - prior to even attempting the rep at 210#.

To me, the calculations of just about all of the ladies' weights are "off"-

If we go by the 66% standard (rounding to nearest 5#), then the weights should have been 50#, 90#, 110# and 140#.

If you go by the 60% standard (rounding to nearest 5#), then the weights should have been 45#, 80#, 100#, 125#.

If using the 60% standard, I'm not sure the 5# increase from 75# to 80# and 120# to 125# would have made that much of a difference in the 2nd and 4th sets, but using the 66% numbers, with increases across the board on all sets, that surely would have added up to a lot more work.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #180
Clark Petri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I was surprised to see the women's weights were approximately a multiplier of .6 to the men's weight. This could be my mistake, but based on "Grace" being a .7 multiplier (135lb x 0.7 = 94.5lb) I always think of 0.7 as the standard. Of coruse clean & jerk is not a snatch. Thoughts?