CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Ben Croese

Profile:
Eating for strength Vs Eating for size

Is there a difference between one's calorie needs when eating for strength Vs size?

Ie. if u wanted to maintain weight but get stronger, are u required to create a calorie surplus for contractile hypertophy, or just eat to maintain weight and strength gains will come? I know neuromuscular adaptations increase stength and i assume that doesn't require calories to happen, but does increasing the contrailile proteins?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Eating for strength Vs Eating for size

Obviously if you want to maintain weight you don't need as much food as if you're trying to gain.

You do need to eat enough to recover from your workouts, though. Let your body worry about what exactly the muscle fibers are doing.

Katherine
Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Eric J Leon

Profile:

To answer you with a question what type of size are you looking for?

Both gaining strength and size require a caloric surplus for a trained individual.

Thanks to the novice effect though an untrained individual on the other hand could certainly lose body fat, and gain strength without a caloric surplus.

For strength without concern for what type of size your putting on quantity is probably more important than quality. Looking into powerlifters and cramming.

For gaining lean body mass quality and quantity are important. You might want to look into bodybuilding nutrition on this side.

I'm sure everything I just wrote could be torn apart. Best always to do your own research and arrive at your own personal conclusions.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

You can try looking into the anabolic diet. It specializes at keeping you at the same weight while increasing strength. (Burning fat while building muscle) My friend went on it and he had good results, but like any diet you have to follow it exactly or you'll just end up getting fat. And you have to be active as well.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm on my phone and typing a long response is a pain in the ***. I will post a response later.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Ben Croese

Profile:

cheers for the replys so far!

I asked because i overheard a coversation about nutrition and the words "eating for strength is different to eating for size" stood out to me. So that got me thinking and wanting to know more.

I understand that an increase in muscle size doesn't necessarily mean an increase in strength. It's more an increase in strength potential. (i assume this means extra room now available to build more contractile proteins).
So how does nutrient requirements come into play for the various types of hypertrophy?

ie. does myofibrilar hypertrophy have less carb needs (due to the lower rep scheme) and more emphasis on fat intake to get total calories. And does scarcoplasmic hypertrophy require more carbs due to higher rep range and greater glycogen depletion etc?. I guess my question here is if i'm making a calorie surplus is there a particular nutrient(s) u should be providing more of for the different goals? Or provided you've met protein requirements it doesn't matter where the calories come from to make up the extra calories needed to gain.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Croese View Post
cheers for the replys so far!

I asked because i overheard a coversation about nutrition and the words "eating for strength is different to eating for size" stood out to me. So that got me thinking and wanting to know more.

I understand that an increase in muscle size doesn't necessarily mean an increase in strength. It's more an increase in strength potential. (i assume this means extra room now available to build more contractile proteins).
So how does nutrient requirements come into play for the various types of hypertrophy?

ie. does myofibrilar hypertrophy have less carb needs (due to the lower rep scheme) and more emphasis on fat intake to get total calories. And does scarcoplasmic hypertrophy require more carbs due to higher rep range and greater glycogen depletion etc?. I guess my question here is if i'm making a calorie surplus is there a particular nutrient(s) u should be providing more of for the different goals? Or provided you've met protein requirements it doesn't matter where the calories come from to make up the extra calories needed to gain.
It sounds to me like you may be overthinking things here. You want to get stronger and you are not a 15 year old skinny kid who has never touched a weight before, you will need a calorie excess to help strength gain. (I know you can gain strength without weight gain through an increase in neural patterns) but that will eventually run out and you will need to increase food intake (carbs, fats, proteins) to increase strength faster.

My advice on what to eat if you want to get strong is alot of meat/eggs/milk. IE treat all meals like an all you can eat buffet. Also dont bother counting calories, as the time it takes you to break out the calculator you could have eaten some food, or be in the process of cooking more food
Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Ben Croese

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
It sounds to me like you may be overthinking things here.
I know what ur saying. But this is more about wanting to know why rather than "help me fix my diet". I wanted to start a discussion among those with good knowledge in the hope to get a clearer picture as to why the process happens and if the diet is tweaked the right way can lead to cleaner gains and less fat storage.

Lets take weight loss for example. We all know that u need to consume less calories than u expend. But if u created the deficit by reducing protein intake the result will b muscle loss. So a good method seems to be to increase protein to reduce muscle loss, reduce carbs to keep insulin under control and make the rest up with fat. Within the calories needed there is a reason for for the selection and amounts of each nutrient.

So for muscle/strength gain is there a similar type of reasoning for nutrient amounts within the calories needed?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Croese View Post
Is there a difference between one's calorie needs when eating for strength Vs size?

Ie. if u wanted to maintain weight but get stronger, are u required to create a calorie surplus for contractile hypertophy, or just eat to maintain weight and strength gains will come? I know neuromuscular adaptations increase stength and i assume that doesn't require calories to happen, but does increasing the contrailile proteins?
Ben,

In a very basic and general sense strength is due to the force production capacity of the contractile myofibrils and the nervous system.

So, to answer part of your question, you can get significantly stronger without adding lean muscle tissue if you train the neural component of strength. You don't need to be in a caloric surplus to do so.

Hypertrophy, does not necessarily require a caloric surplus, but it is very tricky to achieve in anyone but a rote beginner without it. The surplus need not be huge, and frankly, determining what is a surplus is difficult because knowing your true daily caloric expenditure is nigh impossible.

So, what I would recommend is you train specifically for hypertrophy without increasing your caloric intake at first. If you are not overtraining and growth does not occur, then bump your current daily intake by 300 cals and see what happens and so on.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Ben,

In a very basic and general sense strength is due to the force production capacity of the contractile myofibrils and the nervous system.

So, to answer part of your question, you can get significantly stronger without adding lean muscle tissue if you train the neural component of strength. You don't need to be in a caloric surplus to do so.

Hypertrophy, does not necessarily require a caloric surplus, but it is very tricky to achieve in anyone but a rote beginner without it. The surplus need not be huge, and frankly, determining what is a surplus is difficult because knowing your true daily caloric expenditure is nigh impossible.

So, what I would recommend is you train specifically for hypertrophy without increasing your caloric intake at first. If you are not overtraining and growth does not occur, then bump your current daily intake by 300 cals and see what happens and so on.

Sorry Ben thought you were asking for yourself. My bad! Good to see another Aussie on board BTW.

Chris, sorry for going slightly off topic here, but I was wondering, you bring up overtraining a particular movement alot. Are you talking about no longer adapting to the imposed demand of lets say a LBBS from a physical point of view or are you talking about it from a Neurological standpoint?

I assume that a guy squatting 800+ pounds would probs overtrain his squat if he were to do lots of reps often, but how lightly is it that somebody who squats 400 and less would get overtrained from excessive squatting? I am wondering if the problem is far more previlant in the Powerlifting community as opposed to the Crossfit/ everybody else due to the massive weights you chuck about. Cheers