CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:
Smile Weak Lower Body

I've been doing CF for a year now and love it. I've pretty much always done some form of exercise so I didn't come off of a bad base - I'm relatively fit and have good upper body and core strength. I'm so pathetic though when it comes to lower body movements - squats, deadlifts and so forth. Coach says my form is good but I just have no power at the bottom of a squat for example. I think it's because of an old back injury (fractured vertebra and developed scoliosis) - my glutes don't fire like they should. I'm working with a biokineticist on strengthening my glutes but it's slow progress. Was wondering if I should work on lower body strength outside of CrossFit. Would 5/3/1 be beneficial? I'm not looking to be the strongest girl out there, I am realistic, but I'm pretty much the weakest at my box when it comes to these movements and I'd really like to improve.

Thx
Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Kevin Locker

Profile:
Re: Weak Lower Body

If you want to strengthen your legs, you'll need to do something beyond CF- it just won't build you up past a certain point. I had a lot of luck with Starting Strength- bumped my back squat up 50 pounds in about a month and a half. 5/3/1, starting strenght, 5X5- any of them would probably give you really fast improvements.
Now I did Starting Strength pretty much exclusive of regular metcons. Tough to walk away for a short time, but you'll usually see the best results focusing on the strength program and nothing else. Then when you come back to metcons, you won't have lost much aerobic base, and regular crossfit seems to do a decent job of close to maintaining the gains you got off the strength program.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Malcolm View Post
I've been doing CF for a year now and love it. I've pretty much always done some form of exercise so I didn't come off of a bad base - I'm relatively fit and have good upper body and core strength. I'm so pathetic though when it comes to lower body movements - squats, deadlifts and so forth. Coach says my form is good but I just have no power at the bottom of a squat for example. I think it's because of an old back injury (fractured vertebra and developed scoliosis) - my glutes don't fire like they should. I'm working with a biokineticist on strengthening my glutes but it's slow progress. Was wondering if I should work on lower body strength outside of CrossFit. Would 5/3/1 be beneficial? I'm not looking to be the strongest girl out there, I am realistic, but I'm pretty much the weakest at my box when it comes to these movements and I'd really like to improve.

Thx
5-3-1 would be very beneficial for you. You should start right now! I have attached an Excel template that is pretty easy to follow, not sure who put it up on the boards, but thanks! 5-3-1 is a lower-volume program that works off a training max (90% of your actual max). You get a deload week regularly.

I did 70s Big and Crossfit Football linear programs, and built strength that way, but with a history of back problems, the 3x5 style LPs might be too much for you.

Give it a try, and make sure you do some research on the assistance work, too.
Attached Files
File Type: email Wendler 5-3-1.xls (59.0 KB, 267 views)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Guys,

Thanks for the quick response and advice - appreciate it.