CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Elliott Harding

Profile:
Hanging a climbing rope and rings

Hello all,

I recently had a house built and in doing so, the builder constructed a 6x8 cutout in the garage with a 15' peak for me to climb rope and attach rings.

If I remember correctly, along the top is a 4x12 mounted on its short side. In other words, the 4 inch side is facing down into the garage. The frame of the cutout is built to fully support that 4x12. The entire cutout has been sheet rocked over.

I have a manila climbing rope from Rogue with the braided eyelet end and a pair of rings.

So, how would you folks go about mounting the climbing rope and rings? FYI, I weigh about 275 lbs.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Shaun R Sullivan

Profile:
Re: Hanging a climbing rope and rings

Hopefully you have access to the top of the 4x12 beam so you can drill straight though to get a large nut and washer on the top side. I would be okay with big lag screws if it were just a static load but with a rope climb I would be worried that lag screws would work their way loose. I would plan for some type of swivel and make sure all the hardware is rated for at least 1000 lb.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

This probably would have fit in the "Equipment" category better.

Post a photo of your cutout. You'll get better feedback.

The best way to hang an eyelet is to loop the rope through it. You would hang the eyelet end over the top of your 4x12, then feed the full length of the rope through the eyelet.

The next best option is to mount hardward to the sides of the 4x12, so any strain from the rope climb is pulling down on side-mounted bolts. Here is one option: use large lag screws to mount D-rings to the sides of your 4x12, one on each side. Offset them so the bolts on one side won't interfere with the bolts on the other. Use some high rated carabiners (climbing top rop D-shaped carabiners, for example) to connect a chain through the eyelet.

The last option is to have your hardware connect vertically to the bottom of the 4x12. This is the last option, as only the threads of lag screws resist the downward pull of the rope. Not as strong as if they were side-mounted. But if you over-secure it with extra or longer screws, it can still be strong enough. You can use similar hardware to mount a chain through the eyelet of the rope.

What I would not recommend is having rigid metal hardware mounted directly through the eyelet. For example, a U-bracket going through the eyelet and mounted to the 4x12. If the rope moves and swings during a climb, and it's rubbing on the non-moving bracket, this will eventually fray and weaken the rope.

Something else to consider. If your rope is mounted at exactly 15' with an eyelet, that last foot of the climb is kind of inconvenient. The eyelet area doubles the diameter of the rope, which increases the grip challenge of that last pull. Better to use a smaller profile attachment or hang the eyelet a little higher with a rope mark at 15'.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
(climbing top rope D-shaped carabiners, for example)
typo correction