CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-31-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
Eric R. Schmidt

Profile:
OH work w/shoulder restriction

Since this is the exercise forum I thought I'd post here. Started work as a coach with a new box yesterday. Trainee A has extremely limited shoulder mobility. Post op >1yr. Can't get into proper position/alignment for OH squat. Coach running the class has him do the movement anyway, albeit with an empty bar. AFU. Inadequate stabilization up top just runs downstream, all the way to his feet. I'm thinking not a good idea, but being new I defer and say nothing. Trainee's shoulder exhibits what ATB adhesions, scar tissue. Says doc told him it's arthritic. He should rehab/remove restrictions (IASTM?) and gain full, symmetrical movement b4 doing OH squats, no? Thoughts?
I'd like to fly this by KStar & Co, see what they think. Thanks all.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: OH work w/shoulder restriction

Definitely ask him.

I know there is a kid at the gym I go to. Had both shoulders get pins in them from shoulder injuries. He says the docs told him he'd never be able to get full ROM in his shoulders do to them.

Quote:
Says doc told him it's arthritic. He should rehab/remove restrictions (IASTM?) and gain full, symmetrical movement b4 doing OH squats, no?
My thought is yes. Stuff with KB or DB.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I'll be following this because although I have never had any shoulder injuries or surgeries, I cannot get into proper position for OHS. For me, it is a flexibility issue.

I work at least twice a week at home with a lacrosse ball, but I am still very tight. When I lay on the ground with my arms overhead, my shoulders do not touch the ground. Not even close. I just cannot get straight over my head.

My coach has encouraged me to try several of the mwod techniques prior to attempting to OHS, which does make it better. I still cannot do a lot of weight, or a lot of reps, but I can do some.

Are you sure his problem is not flexibility? Does he have pain, or is he just not able to get to an OH position?

Sports massage therapy has been suggested to me to loosed up some of the tissue, but I fear it will not really help. I am just not flexable.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Eric R. Schmidt

Profile:

Thanks Joe...had any luck with the MWOD's? The KStar flossing? Have you tried IASTM/ART, trigger points? A DC treated me for c-spine issues using ART and graston and it worked wonders.

This trainee's issue isn't so much flexibility as it is a shortening of the connective tissue, arthritis in the joint (the doc says), and most likely a bunch of scar tissue. When the docs stitched him up, they pulled the connective tissue closer and attached it, leaving him with tendons and ligaments shorter than normal.
Yes, he has pain, and it's only his left shoulder; the right is fine.
As Blair suggested, we will try out some KB stuff with him and see how it works.
Good luck and good training