CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Is Crossfit Mainpage dead?

This is a legitimate question and not a knock on Crossfit. I am wondering if Crossfit Mainpage WOD's are a thing of the past. I am not questioning the contribution Coach Glassman and Crossfit has made to the health and fitness scene. What I am questioning is:

Do any legitimate athletes still follow the mainpage?

Do Glassman's or anyone maintain those WOD's or is it automated now to the point they are just recycling WOD's from 2007?

Why do all questions and comments on the forum seem to be regarding some other form of Crossfit (i.e. CFSB, CFFB, etc.), Starting Strength, or O'Lifting?

Why have I never seen an affiliate gym that follows Mainpage WOD's?

So what is your opinion....
Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Kevin McMahon

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit Mainpage dead?

The way I see crossfit, and have always seen it, is that the mainpage is a general guideline, one that followed will give the best representation of the intended purpose of the program.

That being said, we all have personal goals and or obstacles that either cause use to use crossfit in a different way, and/or are obstacles that we neglect to try and get around, so we just change it.

My current gym has very little freeweights and area to do metcons in, so i have to improvise at times. Crossfit gyms will always need to do their own programming because they cannot have off days, and cant repeat workouts because some of the clients go everyday regardless.

Some people will see this as "you all just think you are better than Coach" for not following exactly. Those people fortunately are not the type i hang out with so it has little bearing on my workout regiment and goals.

As to it repeating 2007 schedule, maybe it is on repeat, but when my program only hits an exact repeat every two years, i think that is about as varied as i would ever need it. I wont ever find myself saying, "aw crap not Eva again, after 1RM clean and jerks. We did that Nov 13 of 2007 too" it sounds crazy, cause it is.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
This is a legitimate question and not a knock on Crossfit. I am wondering if Crossfit Mainpage WOD's are a thing of the past. I am not questioning the contribution Coach Glassman and Crossfit has made to the health and fitness scene. What I am questioning is:

Do any legitimate athletes still follow the mainpage?

Do Glassman's or anyone maintain those WOD's or is it automated now to the point they are just recycling WOD's from 2007?

Why do all questions and comments on the forum seem to be regarding some other form of Crossfit (i.e. CFSB, CFFB, etc.), Starting Strength, or O'Lifting?

Why have I never seen an affiliate gym that follows Mainpage WOD's?

So what is your opinion....
My opinion is that people try to over complicate things #1. Making up their own programs and all that...(This doesn't count for people with specific goals though).

What is your definition of a legitimate athlete?

I think people that are following the hybrid WOD's are focusing more on strength as a goal...Strength seems to be the fitness domain people most care about anyway.

I follow main page religiously - never really deviate. And I believe there is a method to the madness, even if it is automated.

Anyway - those are my thoughts...Also - for some reason, it seems as if most of the people doing the strength hybrids are eather really (relatively) weak, or already super strong.

wow...i'm rambling.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:

Interesting question but it seems to be based on the idea that CF.com only offers value in the WOD. I think this ignores the CFJ, all the videos and explanation and other sources of information....ect,ect..

Also, I am guessing this forum doesnt accurately express the mainstream of the CFing community. I was CFing for over 2 years before I came here. I have several friends that CF and none of them spend any time at the forum. The point is that I dont think it accurate to make assumptions on the CF population based on the forum sample.

Affiliate owners are entrepreneur's. This lends itself to creativity. THey simply take the principles and apply their own creativity. Also, most affiliates that I have been to do not program in Rest Days. Clients come in every day of the week and dont want to come in and see "Rest Day: Go home!" on the white board.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McMahon View Post
The way I see crossfit, and have always seen it, is that the mainpage is a general guideline, one that followed will give the best representation of the intended purpose of the program.

That being said, we all have personal goals and or obstacles that either cause use to use crossfit in a different way, and/or are obstacles that we neglect to try and get around, so we just change it.
+1, but I want to take this further. This is all my opinion, and not meant in any way as an insult to CF or Coach, but rather an expression of the true genious of the program.

Crossfit as represented on the main-page is not and never was intended to be followed word-for-word. At least, not for more than 6 months to a year, anyway.

The main-page serves as an INTRODUCTION to effective GPP programming. It teaches intensity and variation, which are necessary for all athletic endevours, and it introduces almost everyone to fitness modalities they haven't seen before. Through the main-page we recieve a (very) limited introduction to running, calisthenics, gymnastics, barbell training, olympic lifting, odd-object lifting, ect. Almost anyone who follows it for awhile is going to find they have more specific goals and start tweaking. We are encouraged to tweak and specialize, or Coach would not be so tolerant (even encouraging) of the various hybrids and modifications seen in BrandX, CFFB, CFSB, CF endurance, MEBB, CFWF, and the list will only grow larger from here.

I followed word-for-word for approximately 4 months and then started tweaking. When I slacked over the summer and lost my GPP, I followed it for a month again to get back before switching to CFSB. I don't see me ever using the main-page strictly outside of the context of falling off the wagon, but I still use it as a central resource. it's a phenominal central source of ideas and a place to build from. the forums are an equally phenominal source of ideas on branching out and specializing, but with the intent of not losing the heart of the program.

So no... main-page is not dead. it's simply the first level.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
What is your definition of a legitimate athlete?
I guess I usually determine this by whether they are badass or not. does that answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Andre Pardo View Post
Interesting question but it seems to be based on the idea that CF.com only offers value in the WOD. I think this ignores the CFJ, all the videos and explanation and other sources of information....ect,ect..
Thanks Louis, I should clarify this. I am only specifically referring to the mainpage WOD and whether or not this is an outdated program with many better options on the market currently.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Jason Khalipa used mainpage until he started training for the games.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

I think there are a lot of people out there using the mainpage for workouts...many affiliates do also. A lot of garage gyms follow the main page also. I wouldn't be too quick to sell it short.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I do strength work on my own, but really enjoy the randomness of the mainpage WOD's.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
Jason Khalipa used mainpage until he started training for the games.
Jason Khalipa also did not build all that mass just doing mainpage, I'm sure.