CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #121
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: Starting over with Starting Strength

I'm not sure what it's all about Christen. I think food and sleep are the primary variables.

7/6/2008 No workout. Family outing took the fire out of me. 3 miles, 750 vertical feet with my daughter on my back (~45# pack). Felt pretty reasonable (better than two year ago before CF, when my son weiged the same), but that much time in the sun and under load made an intense workout a non-starter. Came home with a couple of quarts of wild blueberries. Yum.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #122
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

7/7/2008

Intimidated by the heavy squats, I took John Barney up on his invite to check out his home gym. The confidence instilled by the squat cage definitely made a few extra reps possible.

Squat 270x5-270x4-270x5
Press 120x4-117x5-117x4
Deadlift 295x5

Everything feels heavy nowadays. Deadlift probably has the furthest to go still.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #123
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Isn't it amazing how much more we can do when there's a safety net, like power rack or bumpers, in case of a lost rep. I know I struggle a lot more with almost every lift, even when I think I'm telling myself mentally to go for it, when I've just got a bar and iron plates to work with. Good Work today!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #124
Christin Street

Profile:

I hear you on the primary variables of sleeping and eating, Patrick. Esp the food...mine varies wildly according to what the crew here has planned. Sleep stays constant bc the kids are a little older now.
But come on...your DL, Squat, and SP #s look solid. How's the metcon?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #125
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
But come on...your DL, Squat, and SP #s look solid. How's the metcon?
Are you calling me out in my own log? (Yes, I know it looks like a smiling pepper, but it's really a hot-headed dude with boxing gloves and a mouthpiece. Watch out, Street.)

First soccer match in almost exactly 5 years tonight. Hobbling Helen in the morning. Does that count as metcon?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #126
Christin Street

Profile:

Hey Patrick... good luck with that soccer match! Hope you have a few subs. What position are you playing? I'm definitely impressed....definitely. That's some serious metcon!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #127
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

7/10/08
Soccer was ugly on many levels but fun to get back out there. I sure approached it like a CF metcon, making unnecessary runs all over the place and getting gassed in 5 minutes. Whiffed on a ball in our box, recovered enough to block the shot and proceeded to watch the ball fall back on my man's foot as he slid it into the net. Ended up on my tail sitting next to our goalie who was gracious enough to not help me blame myself for letting that one in. Paced myself better in the second half and figured out how to position myself with this group of players and got involved in our two best chances to score, but our team sucked hard. Our midfield stopped running early on, and we got spanked 6 or 7-0. Still, playing didn't hurt half as much as I expected.

7/11/08
Got my 4.5 hours of sleep and met Byers this morning for a playground skills session and WOD. She made my KB swing better and I made her kip. A little mutual show-off session, and off we went to get spanked by Helen. Melissa's KB tips helped Helen kick my arse harder than ever (since I couldn't rely on muscular failure to give me a natural rest). Felt like total crap and took two pauses to preserve breakfast, but I got a solid PR at 11:12, a good reminder how smart Coach G was to put give so many WODs a time metric. More power = better performance, no matter how it feels.

Byers finished a minute earlier and was, of course, still purring like a diesel afterwards, while I checked out the cool cloud formations. Still, it was a fine way to start the day.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #128
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Glad to hear that soccer was fun - it's such an awesome way to work out isn't it. Sounds like you and Melissa had fun with Helen; is there anything you can share about how she helped you KB swing?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #129
Melissa Urban

Profile:

While I do love my Diesel rep, I'm also honest about my performances on these logs. My kip was decidedly MIA today, so I did jumping PUs. Which is a big part of why I cranked through it in 10:03. I was totally sweating just as hard as he was when I was done. Maybe not breathing QUITE as hard, though...

Chantal, I always teach people the Russian swing first. (In this style, the KB only comes up as high as the hips can drive it.) People tend to want to put a lot of arm into the overhead swing, when the majority of the movement needs to come from the hip drive. Start by developing a powerful Russian swing first. Learn how to drive the KB up to forehead level using just your hips. At the very top of the swing (when the 'bell is the lightest), a tiny tug with your arms is all it should take to get it overhead.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #130
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Brien View Post
is there anything you can share about how she helped you KB swing?
MB taught me how to swing, period. I was doing it with my torso upright, involving my lower body more with knee extension than hip extension. She got me closing the hip and then forcefully opening the hip (coming from a bent-over to upright position) with a motion similar to the Oly lifts. I absolutely see how beneficial the exercise is, how it offers strength benefits that complement back extensions and deadlifts and provide a solid basis for power in the more technical oly lifts. It's going straight into my programming.