CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Weightlifting shoes?

My experience was that going from Nanos to a pair of Oly shoes for lifting was as big a step up as going from overly cushioned running shoes to the Nanos. The more stable platform makes a big difference, especially under heavy loads in the squat or with the OHS squat position. You don't realize how much give there is even in the Nanos until you use a pair of stiff Oly shoes.

The thing I think you should focus on is why use them? The answer is that because, with added stability, you will take away a limiter that sometimes holds you back in gaining strength in the squat, OHS, and Snatch. With more stability you can go heavier and increase your training intensity.

I'd also say it is good to train stability using a pair of Nanos or just minimalist running shoes. But for days when your goal is heavier lifting then the lifting shoes are a definite advantage.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #12
Bill Manley

Profile:

I purchased weightlifting shoes about two months ago, and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

Since getting the shoes, I've PR'd by double-digits in every one of my lifts.

Partially due to the stability, but partially due to the confidence that they have helped me find.

I've had a problem with stability at the bottom of a heavy snatch or clean for ages. I'd fail on a lift that was an easy power snatch (or clean) when dropping into the squat because I'd habitually shift my weight onto my toes.

Since getting the shoes and working the lifts, I can now do heavier OHS, squat clean and squat snatch in nano's (although I prefer doing them in the WL shoes) because the OLY shoes helped my body figure out what it felt like to keep the weight in the heels.

I'm not a very body-aware guy, and the shoes helped me to ingrain a better motor pattern into my lifts which helped me improve across the board shoes or not.

I bought Rogue Do-Wins because they were cheap-ish and available. The investment wasn't great monetarily, and has paid dividends in confidence.

-Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I could almost echo Bill's statement to a T. (I havent PR'd with them yet, though...)

I find now that I have proper WL shoes, my feet are pinned to the floor, where as my feet used to gradually point out as I squatted due to my tight IT bands (which are a work in progress). I have actually found a decrease in knee pain since starting with WL shoes too, as I am finding it easier for my knees to track over my feet as I squat.

I got the Again Faster lifters, $125 all-in, great deal! WL shoes are awesome!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

Varies from person to person.

I have olympic lifting shoes but do not like them for any lifts besides overhead squats and snatches. For all other lifts, including cleans and front squats, I am more comfortable, and can perform better, in my Chuck Taylors (currently a high top black leather variety).

Contributing factors: I squat low bar, I am not quad dominant, and I don't have mobility issues. If you are quad dominant, squat high bar, or have mobility issues your experience may be more like Milton or Bills.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Andrew Bell

Profile:

My coach said to get them. On my 2nd or 3rd pair. Won't lift in anything else, yes, even deadlift.

Weightlifting shoes are a way of life for me now.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Victor Sellers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick St Pierre View Post
I have the Nike Romaleos 2 and I love them. I wear them everyday while doing my strength / oly lifting and on the few days when I donít have them I just donít feel as comfortable. You feel very stuck to the ground and very stable in these shoes. I would suggest to wait until Eastbay has a 20% off sale (which they do a lot) and pick up a pair. My Nikes are 1/2 size smaller than my Nike running shoes for a snug fit.
Nike Romaleos inserts..
I ordered my first pair of Olys last week, and received my Nike Romaleo2's and they have an extra set of insoles, but not sure which ones I should be using.
Any help or personal testimonies would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

The 2 inserts are stated as being "Training" and "Competition". I have always used the Competition inserts, which are studied and harder but a little bit more uncomfortable for longer durations than the softer training inserts. If you have a long session planned, probably go with the training inserts. If you are maxing out I would definitely recommend the competition ones for a little extra support.