CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Scott Robertson

Profile:
Zone and loss of muscle mass

I have been weighing and measuring my food for serveral weeks as well as starying away from sugar, other than the odd apple, and grains. I am approx. 170 pounds and have been eating 16 blocks a day as prescribed.

I have been losing weight, my pants are loser and I can tell the difference when looking in the mirror. I also have a scale that tracks weight, body fat %, muscle mass, etc... I record my time every day and look for trends over longer periods.

So the good news is that my weight is down since zone/no sugar/weighing and measuring.

the bad news is that my muscle mass per the scale also seems to be down. for example, over a 2-3 week period I have lost 5 pounds but my muscle mass seems to be down by 3 pounds. I follow the main site WOD as recommended for my physical activity.

Another negative side effect that i have noticed is while i have a great amount of energy throughout the day, come 8:00 at night i just crash and have not desire to do anything other than sleep.

So my questions are:

1. How can i tweak the zone/blocks so that I can start building and not losing my muscle mass.

2. Is there anything I should be doing differently to keep my energy levels up and not crashing?

Thanks
Scott
Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Jamie Sanford

Profile:
Re: Zone and loss of muscle mass

Scott,

You and are are almost mirror image.... back in Jan i started the Zone diet at 16 blocks 1x fat (i was 174 @ 27%BF according to a bodyfat scale) and in the past 8 weeks have lost 10 pounds with the same results as you.

according to the scale I am now 164pounds @ 25%BF, which puts me at more muscle loss than fat. I have played with my diet a bit and found some interesting results.

1. for 2 weeks,I increased my fat intake to 2x because i am Cf'ing very hard these days and found in two weeks i lost 3pds fat and gained 2pds muscle according to my BF scale. This past week i have gone back to 1x fat intake and have lost another pound of fat, but i noticed i had more energy on 2x fat. So, i am going back to 2X fat and hope that don't gain any fat back.

For your diet.. i am not telling you to make any changes, i am just telling you what worked for me. I am 5'7" 164pds @ 25% BF 28 y.o. male.

2. I have been taking pictures every month since Jan 1st and have compared them. Even though my scale says I am losing muscle, my pictures and my increasing performance is telling me this is not the case. I now see 4 abs "4-pack" so there is no way my BF is still at 25%.

I have come to the conclusion that the Bodyfat scale is not an accurate way of tracking bodyfat!! trust yourself... if your performance is up, clothes fit better... then you are on the right track.

Try taking pics without a shirt on every 30 days and you will see the transformation you are going through better. And... try getting a doctor to measure your bodyfat and see just how accurate your scale is.

Good Luck

and P.S. going to bed at 8pm isn't a bad thing!! if you are CF'ing hard and eating just enough to maintain muscle you're going to want to crash early and get at least 8hrs sleep.

Last edited by Jamie Sanford; 02-28-2009 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
JxCx

Profile:  

i dont really trust scales for anything other than weight. the zone online bodyfat calc. i personally think is way off, it has me at 28% bodyfat but according to calipers i was about 16%. If you are feeling good and losing weight than thats what matters... no matter what you do it is very difficult to lose weight and gain / maintain all muscle. a little muscle loss is to be expected while losing weight, dont use the scale to tell though, if you are still putting up the same numbers on your lifts then thats what should matter. Just my .02
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Your scale tracks muscle mass.... how?

If you're looking better and performance is going up there is "enough" muscle. You will keep "looking better" as your times drop.

If you want to conserve muscle better while dropping weight then add more protein to your diet.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

The girls are not fans of the body fat scales: Girl Power Thread WFS
Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Travis Earp

Profile:

Quote:
I also have a scale that tracks weight, body fat %, muscle mass, etc...
There's your problem. Throw that thing away, the mirror should dictate how you feel about your body comp.

Keep up the hard work, it pays off.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Scales that track body fat % (bioimpendance) are freaking worthless.

If you don't have access to a better method (calipers in experienced hands, hydrostatic measurement, a bod pod), then grab a tape measure and wrap it around you at belly button level. Have someone take your picture in as little clothes as possible while remaining decent. Then use that picture and initial measurement as reference points in the future.

Use those things and your performance to judge whether or not your diet is working for you. Don't look at anything on your scale but the weight and only do that every couple of weeks. It'll make your training much more enjoyable.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Richard Lawrence

Profile:

I'm kinda having the same prob. I'm happy with the loss of body fat(8.2) and my strength but I still look to flippin skinny. I think it's the way I'm built.

Month before last I tried upping my fat from 2x to 3x. Nothing happened but feeling better. As a matter of fact I continued to lose body fat.

Last month I upped my protein no real measurement just way more and it didn't really help my size issue I'm still at 8.2 % but I continue to get stronger.

The past week or so I've been trying to crush a gallon of whole milk a day(I get about 3/4 of it down) it seems to be working, I'm seeing it a little in my face.

Is all that over kill? Am I going to explode into humongo fattus?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Scott Robertson

Profile:

Thanks for the input. I now the scales aren't accurate by any means but was hoping to track. i was hoping the trend would not be a loss of muscle mass.

I did the 7x1 deadlifts this morning and my max has dropped compared to three weeks ago. Could just be a coincidence or maybe does confirm my muscle mass loss trend.

How would i tweak the zone to continue increasing my strength. Simply try the 2x fat, or increase protein. If I increase protein, does that mean I should increase overall number of blocks as well.

Thanks
Scott
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

get a tape measure

calf - widest point

thigh - mid

waist - at belly button

wrist - widest point

upper arm - widest point relaxed