CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Alicia Michel

Profile:
It's coming to a year since I began CF (7 Jun 06) and I've been browsing through past WOD logs. The following are some comparisons:

DL 1RM
08 Jul 06: 85kg
26 May 07: 82.5kg

Lynne
10 Jul 06: (40kg BP, JPUs): 12/10, 6/6, 5/5, 3/5, 4/4
27 May 07: (40kg BP, PUs): 10/5, 6/4, 5/5, 5/4, 5/4

Run 5km
20 Jul 06: 37:44
12 May 07: 32:23

Diet for the first 6 months was Zone, 70% clean.
Diet after till now has been Anabolic Diet with IF sometimes, 90% clean

My goal has been to improve in those 10 fitness domains that CF recognises.

Generally, I feel "fitter" in that I can tolerate high intensity work better, my endurance has improved and I can do more bodyweight pullups. However, looking back at past WOD results, I do not feel like I have made much progress since I first started CF.

There have been discussions in which posters say that those who have made remarkable progress on CF are already professional athletes or have a strong background in sports. They recommend that those with an endurance background first build up their strength base. My background is that of an average person, and leaning towards the sprinting end of the spectrum rather than endurance.

My questions are: what sort of progress should I/we be expecting on CF? How do we know when we should change things? What do we change?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Alicia
Considering you have gone from JPU to BW PUs those are very good gains.
In regards to the DL I suspect that not having group or training partner motivation/coaching (I'm presuming) may be a cause for the small drop.

I would say don't get caught up with the results but utilize the effect of the conditioning of the WODs.

I guess the question where do you want to take your fitness level too?
Is there a sport focus with the training or is it purely to get better at CrossFit?

(Message edited by katus on May 27, 2007)
Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Thanks Andrew

I want to be able to get to level 4 of CrossFit North's skill standards. There is no sport focus with the training.

You are probably with with the DL and I suspect as well that many areas could be improved with proper coaching. However that is not something I have access to or will have access to in the foreseeable future so I think I might be in a bit of a hole.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Get thee a training partner!!

Level 4 a great goal,but that will require specific work to progress.More importantly you have to work out which part of L 4 is hardest element.

I would consider a strength phase or may be adding additional strength work or skill work in a second WO. Start off small and focus on any weak areas.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Corey Duvall

Profile:
How are your hand-stands??

How are your pistols?

How about pistol plyometrics?

Can you do a muscle up?

How about an iron-cross?

A lot of these things require strength, but also are a skill that require training of the neurological system as well. When I started crossfit I couldn't perform a proper depth squat. Now I can do pistols at proper depth... what's next? Box jumps with pistols of course. I have found that training deadlifts to improve deadlift is boring but training deadlift to improve snatch ability or training power clean to improve vertical leap has been entertaining in the least. The whole idea for crossfit is randomized abilities. I was an athlete in highschool, lost it while partyin in college, and crossfit has given me excitement, motivation, and an excellent method to regain my athleticism... Have fun with your workouts. If you don't like an aspect of the WOD, add something else you'd like to work on. If you've been doing it a year you probably have a pretty good idea of what you're good at and what you're not, what you enjoy and what you don't. Change it up, randomize it, enjoy your fitness.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Alicia,

Get a partner. Superwoman might be able to achieve a high level of fitness by herself, but us regular humans need other people for competition and motiviation.

Try finding another goal as well, like muscle-ups, gymnastics, adventure racing (a few people do that here with just Crossfit if I remember)...make it something tangible that you can measure progress by.

My two cents. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Alicia - not meaning to criticize, but if you haven't increased your DL in a year doing CF, you're not doing something right. There are sufficient ME workouts that utilize the deadlift, either alone or as part of another movement (for example, the oly lifts), that you should see some progress there. As noted above, going from JPUs to actual pullups means those numbers simply aren't comparable - they are apples and grapefruits. Or, if you do want to compare, show great increases in strength, IMO.

But DLs staying that stagnant given the other increases you've had means something isn't right. How about your BE numbers or oly lifts? Have you posted a vid clip to digital coaching section? That's a great way to get some very concrete advice. Also, have you looked at Coach Rip's clips on the DL that have been posted a few times on the main page WoD? They are very techincal.

Finally, when all else fails, add in some ME Blackbox work. MetCon is not the everything.

No disrespect meant on any of this.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I've found some of my PR numbers have come down as my form improves. What I considered a "squat", or how much back arching I would allow in a deadlift has become much more stringent with crossfit.

Just as an alternative to dale's not doing something right, you may be doing things right that you were doing wrong.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I agree with the form change as well. In that case, I have chosen to ignore any PR's that weren't full squats, had a rounded back with the DL, or were just plain UGLY oly lifts... My form is improving greatly and as such I only utilize perfect form when setting a PR. It may seem obvious, but strength is not how much weight you move, but how much control you have while moving it.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Thanks for the advice guys, I will see what I can do within the circumstances.

"It may seem obvious, but strength is not how much weight you move, but how much control you have while moving it."
Corey, I kind of agree (a trainer at the gym was allowing a guy to lift 80kg DLs and drop them on the ground. one would think there was some piling work going on), but it has me wondering: is there a difference between strength and control? Or is control part of strength?