CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Cool How to build Lean Mass(muscle)..excerpt from 'Mastering the Zone'.

I just skimmed through 'master the zone' it says..

Question: Should I add protein if I'm trying to gain lean body mass? If so, how much?

Answer: The only way to build muscle mass is by exercise, primarily weight training. However, building one pound of new muscle mass per month is a noble goal. To do so, however requires only one extra protein block per day in addtion to the number of protein blocks required to maintain your existing lean body mass. One pound of new muscle equals 454 grams. But muscle is 70% water, which means that one pound of new muslce contains about 135 grams of protein. Divide 136 grams by 30 days, and you get 4.5 grams of extra protein (7 grams) per day will be more than adequate in your quest to add one extra pound of muscle per month..

So according to my calculation I needed about 16 blocks a day(seemed way to low for me. I'm 6'1 with the metabolism of a beast! I wished Sears talked about that as a factor) But I'm currently 20/m/6'1/160/ 14% BF and went on a 5-5-5-5-5 block so I wonder if eating more protein will build muscle faster?(maybe i didn't read that passage right in the first place idk sorry, in a rush studying for finals).
Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Re: How to build Lean Mass(muscle)..excerpt from 'Mastering the Zone'.

I need 16 blocks but jumped to 25 just "to get rid of my weight gainers'(I decided no more supplementing or wasting money on that. from now on whole foods) but no one answered me about if I would build muscle faster or not and I'm starting to see more fat already! This is not good..I'm thinking of going on a 5-5-3-5-3 even though 5-5-2-5-2 is ideal; for some reason I'm scared to have inadequate amounts of protein.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

If you are 6'1" and 160 I vote eat every damn (mostly healthy)thing in sight. I suggest you aim to gain at least 25 pounds and hit at a MINIMUM 185 at under 10% bodyfat. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

I could tell you throw more on the side of bigness=more masculine, looks better etc. I actually made a goal that I want completed by next year. I'm 137 with 14% body fat. I think Ideally IMO of coarse 150 of LBM with about 10-13% body fat is good. That would make me about 167-169). And if the doctor knows what he's talking about and says that about a 1lb of muscle takes about a month even with the extra protein block then that 13 lbs should come in about a year, then I'll see what's up. Thanks for your take though.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Or you could just add a gallon of milk to your diet per Mark Rippetoe and starting strength. Yes you will gain some fat as well, but it might be a cheaper way to get the good calories you need. (BTW this would be on top of your 16 block diet) plus the fat is easy to come off once you get to a maintenance phase.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Do about 4 - 6 months of Starting Strength and you will be there, and more. Yes, you must drink the gallon of milk a day.

With those current numbers (137, 6'1", 14% BF) you are potentially the poster boy for Starting Strength. Take "before" pictures now (swim suit only, front, back and sides). 4 months from now, you won't recognize yourself.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

OMG I keep hearing about his SS!lol..it can't be that good. I keep hearing about the milk, no way I'm drinking a gallon of milk a day. And I'm not 137 omg if I was well I'd do something radical about it. But noo I'm 160 with about 23 lbs of fat so I was saying im 137 of LBM and want to get to 150 of pure LBM with 10-13% body fat making me 165-170. Maybe I'll go for the 155 LBM we'll see when I get there.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

where is this starting strength thing I keep hearing about I could't find it in the journals(looked for 2 minutes lol
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib Ghosh View Post
where is this starting strength thing I keep hearing about I could't find it in the journals(looked for 2 minutes lol
A little web searching goes a long way. http://www.****************.com/ and http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...21/ref=ed_oe_p (both w/fs)
Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
Jason Lin

Profile:

Rippetoe is the way to go. Nothing packs on mass like squatting three times a week. The gallon of milk idea is really not THAT important. In the book, it's one sentence stuck in the middle of the last chapter. But since then it has taken on a life of its own for some weird reason. But I believe if you follow Rip's program of basic lifts three time a week, smart linear progression, and, of course, EATING in caloric excess, you will get bigger and stronger.