CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
Gary Mills

Profile:
As much as I like following the WOD it suits my life more at the moment to do a five on two off cyle.

My question is this: would I be better following the template in the Feb 2003 journal and selecting the exercises myself, or would I get better results if I did a series of three WOD's
and then two from the next series of three.

The reason I ask is that I know that a lot of thought goes into producing the WOD'sand that I might not benefit as much from putting my own workouts together.

Regards,

Gary Mills
Old 03-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I stay a week behind, because generally the next set doesn't get posted until after the rest day. Then I just pick to from the current week to round out the last two days. It kills me to throw away a workout though. Jason
Old 03-02-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gary-

Coach and Lauren are incredible at workout design and timing. I would stick pretty close to the prescribed WOD for quite some time. I notice that when I start relying upon my own design I end up avoiding many of the things I do not enjoy.

(RUNNING!)

I hope this helps
Robb
Old 03-03-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
On what Robb said I would suggest that if you do use 5 day on 2 off and stay a week behind, that you may want to randomize what day you decide to drop. Maybe roll some dice, pick a card, or pick the one that looks hardest so you don't end up avoiding what you don't like.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I would also keep in mind that the crossfit templates often have a more "micro-strategic" design for a three day period, rather than just that one WOD (which would be purely "tactical".
Old 03-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Jonathan W. Barba

Profile:  
Gary-

I too have been using the five on-two off training schedule since December because it fits my situation better as well. The biggest thing I have had to monitor is over-training. I would be more than willing to share my last four monthly schedules with you.

JB

Old 03-11-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Gary Mills

Profile:
Thanks for the response guys, some helpful advice there. being a beginner at crossfit style training I'm still trying to find my feet with it.
Jonathan, I would be interested in seeing the training schedules you mention.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Gary,

I started out following the 5 on 2 off schedule. What I am doing now is allowing myself to be flexible or to have built in flexiblity. What I mean is sometimes I may not work out 1 once during the week, but may in return find time to say work out on Sun, then the following week maybe I miss a Mon but hit it Tues thru Sun, etc.

Point being, I hit the WOD whenever possible, but I stay in order of the prescribed WOD's. That is part of the beauty of this "Program" in that you do not have to worry about planning it out, since Coach, Lauren, etc. have done all that for us.

Also, I am a month behind. This seems to really work for me.

I hope what I have said helps and that I am doing things right.