CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Why posture matters

Excellent WFS article from Men's Health, about the role of connective tissue in strength, agility, and other aspects of fitness.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...ac____&page=1#

Katherine
Old 11-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Why posture matters

One of the few magazines I subscribe too. Lots of clutter in it at times but some good information too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah, Mens Health has some good articles, but I got fed up with all the conventional "6 new ways to blast your abs" material. CrossFit has brainwashed me far to much to be able to tolerate their poster full of new exotic exercises every month. People need to spend their time getting really good at a few core exercises, not randomly swap out their old exercises for new ones every 30 days.

As for the article: Thanks for sharing! I like the concepts in there and would like to hear more. Definitely supports a whole body approach to everything and seems very compatible with the movements and things we do. I like when he used overhead squats to address his heel issue:
Quote:
His prescription of deep overhead squats -- a unique exercise that challenges the flexibility of the upper back, shoulders, hips, and ankles -- serves as a total-body therapy that targets my entire muscular system instead of an individual muscle.
I do believe I'll add some of those back into my warmup.

One thing that puzzled me was the complete lack of discussion about myofascial release (foam rolling). Most of the article regards loosening the facia to prevent pain and he doesn't address the only other way I've ever heard of people doing it!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
John Harris

Profile:

Thanks for the post that was very interesting.

By the way, my posture has improved by leaps and bounds since I started Crossfit. The added core stability and balancing effect of total body workouts has done wonders.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Two things that struck me about the article...

First, many martial arts train the fascia, either implicitly or explicitly. Its "bounciness" is probably one source for the "snap" in internal power-focused arts. I'll bet yoga does, too, though I don't know what terminology yogis use. Modern science is only starting to catch up in this regard.

Second, did the bit about doing overhead squats then immediately taking off on a run remind anyone else of CF WODs? I don't know if Coach is specifically thinking about training the fascia, but I'll bet that's one of the side effects of a lot of our couplets and triplets.

Katherine
Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Tony Black

Profile:

Fascinating article very worth the read!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Tony Black

Profile:

http://www.myofascialrelease.com/home.asp

Apparently that guy John Barnes is a leading light in the field...