CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Fitting conditioning into the TM

I'm about to start the texas method and I'm ready to get serious with conditioning. Obviously my biggest concern is that the metcons I do will interfere with my squatting/deadlifting/benching. So I'm wondering what movements you've found that interfere with recovery from barbell training the least. The only one I've found that lets me not worry about being able to lift is burpees.

I'd be on a regular mon/wed/fri set up for the lifting, and doing conditioning on tuesdays and saturdays. Deadlifts on friday, light squats and light bench/press on wednesday.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: Fitting conditioning into the TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
I'm wondering what movements you've found that interfere with recovery from barbell training the least.

I'd be on a regular mon/wed/fri set up for the lifting, and doing conditioning on tuesdays and saturdays. Deadlifts on friday, light squats and light bench/press on wednesday.
I've found that the C2 rower used in moderation and sled-dragging complement barbell training without taxing my recovery too much. YMMV.

By C2 in moderation, I mean intervals at a pace 15 seconds off a good 2k or 20-30 seconds off a good 500m pace, or longer steady-state work like 2k intervals, 5k up to 10k. The 40-minute time scale of a 10k is within the "broad domains," right? I also use moderately-paced rowing as part of my warm-up and cool-down.

And by sled-dragging, I mean walk-paced drags with a sled loaded to 135-180# on grass, not a hard-fast sprint, nor a slow grind. I actually often feel better after a few laps of the big grass field near my home with the sled. The concentric motion is enough to get the blood moving, warm your muscles and joints, and provide a conditioning stimulus without taking too much out of your recovery.

I'm experimenting with light kettlebell work as well. Intervals for up to 20 minutes. Not sure if I'm ready to render a verdict yet.

A note of caution on adding conditioning to TM. Titrate slowly. Add a little conditioning for a week, and see how all three days on TM go before adding more. Going slower with adding the conditioning will help prevent stalling in your barbell lifts. It's easier to gain conditioning for me than it is to get past a stall induced by too much conditioning.

Don't think bollocks to the wall metcons. Think recovery and mobility conditioning. A couple of off-pace 500m or 1000m pieces on 2-3 minutes rest might work out better for your barbell progression than 10x250m all-out on 45 seconds.