CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:
Was reading the Gillian article and had a thought...

Why measure for time during Oly lifts at all? Bad technique can indeed lead to injuries and has been a major criticism of CF for years now. I think it's a good that Oly lifts should be carefully monitored and judged just like at a powerlifting meet. If the lift is accomplished with bad form then the athlete would get hit with a time penalty, like 10 seconds for each bad rep. I think that would go a long way to keeping things safe by getting people to focus on technique. Sure times would slow down a bit as people eliminate "crossfit slop", but in the long run I think it'd be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Joe DeAngelo; 07-30-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Mark Martinez

Profile:
Re: Was reading the Gillian article and had a thought...

How about just no rep versus ten second penalty? That would be much simpler.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
How about just no rep versus ten second penalty? That would be much simpler.
+1 to this. If a workout states to snatch, clean, or jerk, then you do those movements. If it's a ground-to-overhead anyhow, then you do it however you want.

No-rep it if they press out, or if their technique truly is just God-awful.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

The reason I opted for the time penalty is because that's the goal of a timed WOD so that should be what's dinged IMO. Plus the psychological factor of being interrupted during the WOD and having to do even more work of extra reps. I think just having the time penalty added to the end of the WOD is the way to go. Think timed sporting events when an athlete messes up.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Who decides what "bad form" is? How bad is bad enough to illicit a penalty?

Listen, the issue of whether Olympic lifts in WoDs are safe has been discussed many times. I'd start here: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68643 (WFS) before starting a new thread. There are more but no time to find them right now.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
A good coach should know what is good form or not. Judges make the call on if a lift was successful all the time in competitions and coaches train their people so they meet the standards of what makes for a proper lift. It's all quite basic actually. I'm saying take that and apply a time penalty so people aren't sacrificing form (thus putting themselves at risk) in lieu of getting a better time.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Todd Rehm

Profile:

There are established criteria for judging the Olympic lifts. Why not use those?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post

Listen, the issue of whether Olympic lifts in WoDs are safe has been discussed many times. I'd start here: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68643 (WFS) before starting a new thread. There are more but no time to find them right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeAngelo View Post
A good coach should know what is good form or not. Judges make the call on if a lift was successful all the time in competitions and coaches train their people so they meet the standards of what makes for a proper lift. It's all quite basic actually. I'm saying take that and apply a time penalty so people aren't sacrificing form (thus putting themselves at risk) in lieu of getting a better time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
There are established criteria for judging the Olympic lifts. Why not use those?
A successful snatch/cj can still pass oly judging and be butt ugly. Although a single ugly lift can pass for a "good lift" I wouldn't necessarily advise performing lifts for reps with that kind of form.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Lack of experienced Oly judges who can consistently differentiate a good lift from a bad lift, probably. In an Oly comp it's the same 3 judges ruling on every lifter who comes through. In a CF comp you've gotta have enough judges for each competitor. That scenario would greatly increase the possibility of one judge's strict or lax standards making a huge difference in the results, a la AJ Moore's KB swings in the regionals.

I'm not condoning horrible technique by any means, but those factors have to be considered.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Quote:
Exactly. This is where choosing good coaches comes into play. CF has been dinged in the past for loose quality control when it comes to certification and it's a valid concern. To be fair it's not one that is exclusive to CF. A good coach should know what qualifies as good & safe technique and if your coaches aren't calling out bad form IMO I'd be looking for a new box.