CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Jesse Gluck
Member Jesse Gluck is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vaughan  ON Canada
Posts: 2
OHS Technique

Hi everyone, I actually just started SS on Monday because this summer is focused on increasing my strength and then I will get back to all my fun WODs in September Anyways, even though this workout isn't in SS I'm pretty new to the OHS and I just wanted to know how to go about perfecting the overhead squat technique. I want to load a bit of weight but I haven't attempted to yet because i know my technique isn't great yet. Any tips or advice? Thanks alot!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Daniel Frankel
Member Daniel Frankel is offline
 
Daniel Frankel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornhill  ON Canada
Posts: 1,508
Re: OHS Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gluck View Post
Hi everyone, I actually just started SS on Monday because this summer is focused on increasing my strength and then I will get back to all my fun WODs in September Anyways, even though this workout isn't in SS I'm pretty new to the OHS and I just wanted to know how to go about perfecting the overhead squat technique. I want to load a bit of weight but I haven't attempted to yet because i know my technique isn't great yet. Any tips or advice? Thanks alot!
Forgot the link bud

Edit: Didn't fully read the post, for some reason I thought this was in digital coaching. Sorry Jesse :P
__________________
Log | Youtube | M/18/69kg/5'6" | VO2 Max: 55.3 ml/kg/min | BS 163kg | FS 142kg | Sn 101kg | CJ 122kg |

Last edited by Daniel Frankel; 07-05-2011 at 05:15 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: OHS Technique

Work on hip/hamstring/thoracic/shoulder mobility.

However, if you're doing SS, I wouldn't add heavy OHS to the program. Skillwork is fine, but additional heavy work isn't if you want your other 5 lifts to keep progressing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Jesse Gluck
Member Jesse Gluck is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vaughan  ON Canada
Posts: 2
Re: OHS Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Work on hip/hamstring/thoracic/shoulder mobility.

However, if you're doing SS, I wouldn't add heavy OHS to the program. Skillwork is fine, but additional heavy work isn't if you want your other 5 lifts to keep progressing.
Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the advice Eric. Yeah my flexibility is pretty good I'd say my shoulder flexibility still needs a bit of work though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: OHS Technique

I see some people who are new to the OHS make it like a wide-grip press with their elbows pointing in the direction of the bar. Focus on turning the elbows out. You want the weight to be supported by your delts, not your biceps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Daniel Frankel
Member Daniel Frankel is offline
 
Daniel Frankel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornhill  ON Canada
Posts: 1,508
Re: OHS Technique

I'd say three different things.

1. Active shoulders
2. Keep the bar directly over the foot
3. Tighten your abs when you sit back

But shoulder mobility is a must-have.
__________________
Log | Youtube | M/18/69kg/5'6" | VO2 Max: 55.3 ml/kg/min | BS 163kg | FS 142kg | Sn 101kg | CJ 122kg |
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
William Miller
Member William Miller is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oklahoma City  OK
Posts: 103
Re: OHS Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I see some people who are new to the OHS make it like a wide-grip press with their elbows pointing in the direction of the bar. Focus on turning the elbows out. You want the weight to be supported by your delts, not your biceps.
How wide should the hands be? I feel that mine are too wide when I attempt but struggle to bring them in due to flexibility. What do you mean by turn your elbows out? To me if the elbows are out then they
are pointing in the direction of the bar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Chris Walls
Affiliate Chris Walls is offline
 
Chris Walls's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Battleford  SK Canada
Posts: 1,722
Re: OHS Technique

Snatch grip width.
__________________
Accept no excuses, only results
CrossFit North Battleford
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Todd Rehm
Member Todd Rehm is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 237
Re: OHS Technique

I don't know what the author would say about it, but in my experience, using OHS and FS as part of my warmup for SS squat sessions didn't seem to hurt my progress.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: OHS Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Miller View Post
How wide should the hands be? I feel that mine are too wide when I attempt but struggle to bring them in due to flexibility. What do you mean by turn your elbows out? To me if the elbows are out then they
are pointing in the direction of the bar.
Turn elbows out meaning the veiny part should be pointing in front and the bone should be pointing behind you.

Notice how this girl does it:
http://www.dlcache.indiatimes.com/im...chcE5/350x.jpg
(wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
technique Wendy Nichols Exercises 6 07-04-2008 06:24 AM
OHS Technique Franklin Shogie Exercises 3 06-18-2007 11:07 AM
Rowing Technique Rod Gates Exercises 1 04-27-2006 12:51 PM
Squat technique Scott Duff Exercises 2 04-29-2005 12:04 PM
Squat technique johnatan pladott Exercises 19 04-19-2005 05:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.