CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Joe Johnstone

Profile:
Lightbulb Back squat too leaned over

I'm learning how to squat. I'm doing high bar back squats. I can maintain lumbar extension, but don't have depth (a few inches above parallel) and my torso is leaned over.

Should I drop weighted squats for some time and just focus on air squats and wall squats until I can get good form (good depth with neutral spine and a fairly upright torso)? I can do other exercises to keep strength progression going, like deadlifts, press, chins, etc.

Or should I continue weighted squats while also doing air and wall squats to get the form right? Or should I learn to overhead squat before back squatting, the idea being that any form errors will be more readily apparent with the overhead squat?

Obviously, I'd like to avoid injury, but I don't want to postpone weighted squatting for very long.

Last edited by Joe Johnstone; 07-25-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Back squat too leaned over

You should post a video for form check.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Joe Johnstone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
You should post a video for form check.
form check video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hgvfE-Gokw (wfs)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Todd Rehm

Profile:

How low can you get unweighted?

Your knees might be going too far forward but the funky cant of the camera makes it a bit difficult to tell.

I'm not sure I'd scream about the angle of the torso, as some angle is necessary to place the bar above the midfoot, and because the bar on your back moves your center of gravity. Again, though, it's hard to tell with the camera at that angle.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnstone View Post
This squat is not correct. You need to incline your torso forward and go much lower.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Joe Johnstone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
How low can you get unweighted?

Your knees might be going too far forward but the funky cant of the camera makes it a bit difficult to tell.

I'm not sure I'd scream about the angle of the torso, as some angle is necessary to place the bar above the midfoot, and because the bar on your back moves your center of gravity. Again, though, it's hard to tell with the camera at that angle.
Unweighted with a broomstick on my back I can go about the same depth. If I've got my hands overhead as in a wall squat, I can get to about parallel if I go really slowly.

Yeah, sorry about the video angle. Will get a better one next time.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
This squat is not correct. You need to incline your torso forward and go much lower.
Not if he's high bar squatting. But yeah, he does need to go lower.

OP, check out any of Kelly Starrett's MWODs that are related to hip/hamstring/glute mobility.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Joe Johnstone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
OP, check out any of Kelly Starrett's MWODs that are related to hip/hamstring/glute mobility.
Yeah, I've been doing mwods the last couple of weeks. Needless to say, lots of tight restricted areas.

I guess my question is, do I try to continue with weight and clean up form, or hold off on weighted squats until I can do good form air squats to depth?

Last edited by Joe Johnstone; 07-25-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Trey Williams

Profile:

Someone correct if I'm wrong, but it looks like the OP is loading his knees first by dropping straight down rather than sitting back.

I don't high bar squat myself, but I know oly lifters with really good flexibility appear to drop nearly straight down. However, they still load their hips first by sitting back slightly.

OP, is your weight on the middle of your foot, or does it drift forward onto the balls of your feet?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Joe Johnstone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
Someone correct if I'm wrong, but it looks like the OP is loading his knees first by dropping straight down rather than sitting back.

I don't high bar squat myself, but I know oly lifters with really good flexibility appear to drop nearly straight down. However, they still load their hips first by sitting back slightly.

OP, is your weight on the middle of your foot, or does it drift forward onto the balls of your feet?
Yeah, it drifts forward as I approach the bottom. I assumed that was because the forward lean was pitching the bar forward a little.

I thought the idea with high bar is to sit your butt down between your ankles, so more of a dropping straight down path, as opposed to low bar, where you're obviously sitting way back.

Last edited by Joe Johnstone; 07-25-2011 at 09:09 AM..