CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Rick C Barnes

Profile:
How competitive is a 14 min 5k and 350lb bench?

I'm new to crossfit and have been trying to find out how I would compare. I'm a pretty good athlete with a 14min 5k and 350 bench. I don't know what all of the events are in crossfit, so how well would my non-crossfit fitness carry over?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: How competitive is a 14 min 5k and 350lb bench?

A true 14 min 5k is pretty astounding. You're about a minute and a half off the world record. You would have been pretty close to making the finals of the 2008 Olympics in 5000 meters if you were low-14 minutes.

In 2008, the slowest time in the US Olympic qualifying match for 5k was 14:30.4 and the best time was 13:52.62.

You should try out for the 2012 Olympics.

350 is respectably strong for a strength athlete. Depends on your bodyweight how competitive it is for powerlifting.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

sounds like your numbers are awesome. if your squat and deadlift are proportional to your bench then you are plenty strong. you need to have bodyweight strength like pullups too. plus skill things like double unders and muscle ups. with a 14min 5K there is not doubt you have the engine. but crossfit is about being well rounded. to give us a better ability to judge how you compare tell us all your numbers... squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, power clean, how many pullups can you do in a row, etc. the best thing to do would be check out the workout on the website and give some a try, then you will know how well you stack up. check out the crossfit games website and you can try the workouts from the open or the regionals and see where your times compare with the winners.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
but crossfit is about being well rounded.
Well-rounded, hell. If he's got a legitimate 14-minute 5k, he needs to go directly out to Loren Seagrave at Life University and get in an elite track program.

Get on the Wheaties box first, then maybe CrossFit after your competitive years are over.

Or you might want to calibrate your stopwatch.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Rick C Barnes

Profile:

Lol thanks but I'm not making the Olympics with a 14 min 5k. The best runners in the US are all under 13 min and most of them aren't even that competitive on the world scene. Heck even the girls run in the 14s. Whenever you see a mid 13 or 14 min 5k time, it means that the leaders are toying with the slower runners or jogging most of the race to see who has the fastest sprint at the end. A minute and a half from the world record is a lap and a half at those speeds hah! Especially since the world record holder is still alive and dominating

Anyway, yeah my strength is pretty well-rounded. I guess I'll check out some of those moves, thanks guys!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

but none of those runners can bench 250 let alone 350.

Now unless you are a freak who benches 350 at 150lb bodyweight, then if you can loose the weight that a 350 bench normally requires (loose muscle) and spend the time on intervals and more running strength work rather than on benching the world record is just around the corner...

and you have to stop living under the bridge ...
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Michael Dowling

Profile:

a 14 minute 5 k and 350 bench is absolutely beastlike.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Sounds pretty impressive. Where did you run your 14 min 5k? I see you ran 3:48 for 1500 at UC Irvine and 38:30 for 12k at 2008 XC champs.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
adam adkins

Profile:

Both are great numbers and combined truly make them unique. But the question of "How competitive are they?" still needs context.

No doubt they are likely good enough to win any "Pump and Run" contest ever held but what do the mean for Crossfit? And the answer to that certainly depends.

Obviously it is a very good base to start with and you clearly have the athletic capacity to be more competitive than most. But there are many other variables.

(It could just mean you have very long legs and short arms which would likely ultimately limit you in many pulls - but I doubt that is the case).

Your competitiveness in crossfit will likely turn on your ability to learn the snatch and gymnastics movements.

Final answer, your "base" exceeds most people's ceiling. Unfortunately that doesn't make you a games winner. But it is a darn good start.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C Barnes View Post
Lol thanks but I'm not making the Olympics with a 14 min 5k. The best runners in the US are all under 13 min and most of them aren't even that competitive on the world scene. Heck even the girls run in the 14s.
Best time in the 2008 Olympic trial in 5000 meter was 13:54 and change.