CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
over head strength : which is best

which two of these three would be best for improving my overhead strength,

Heavy jerk, hold at top
snatch balance
snatch grip press

i was thinking of doing a workout that goes something like
A. jerk to 1rm
B. 85% 1rm for 12x1

then either doing that or a 3x3-3x5 with snatch balance or snatch press after. but i wasn't sure which of these two are better. Im assuming snatch press would be better for strength opposed to snatch balance which would be better for working technique but i wanted to clarify first.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Ben Kissam

Profile:
Re: over head strength : which is best

What exactly are you looking to do with the overhead strength? Are you more aimed towards being an olympic lifter or are you a CrossFitter? I ask about oly lifting because those seem geared towards that sport (from what I understand since I'm not too knowledgable on the sport.)

Anyway, if you don't have a good basis of strength on the plain press I would start there. Building the musculature and strength from an LP style press over a few months would be beneficial to most. If you just want the answer to your question I would say jerk and snatch grip press.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Specify what exactly you want to get stronger at. Jerk, press, what?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
which two of these three would be best for improving my overhead strength,

Heavy jerk, hold at top
snatch balance
snatch grip press

i was thinking of doing a workout that goes something like
A. jerk to 1rm
B. 85% 1rm for 12x1

then either doing that or a 3x3-3x5 with snatch balance or snatch press after. but i wasn't sure which of these two are better. Im assuming snatch press would be better for strength opposed to snatch balance which would be better for working technique but i wanted to clarify first.
In addition to what others have asked, why are the jerk, snatch balance, and snatch grip press the only options? If you just want "overhead strength," I can think of a few different exercises that I would prioritize over those.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Can you really press from your shoulders with a snatch grip? Pretty sure that would be anatomically impossible (or at least improbable) for me.

What are your current numbers like?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Well I was asking about those in particular bc my overhead strength is what limits me in my overhead squat, and olys. But if there are better excerisis id be willing to pick other things. I do a lot of regular press already tough so I dont want to do that on my weekend sessions.
And I'm a crossfiter.

And I can snatch grip press, if you'd like to see how it's possible cel it out on youtube
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
Can you really press from your shoulders with a snatch grip? Pretty sure that would be anatomically impossible (or at least improbable) for me.
From a back rack position, yes. Oly lifters will use the snatch grip push press occasionally to get stronger at locking out heavy weights overhead.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
Well I was asking about those in particular bc my overhead strength is what limits me in my overhead squat, and olys. But if there are better excerisis id be willing to pick other things. I do a lot of regular press already tough so I dont want to do that on my weekend sessions.
And I'm a crossfiter.

And I can snatch grip press, if you'd like to see how it's possible cel it out on youtube
Gotcha. So it sounds like improving your Olympic lifts is your goal? (OH squat is just an assistance to the snatch, so I'll just guess you're trying to improve the overhead portions of the O-lifts).

Exercises I would suggest for improving overhead strength as it pertains to the O-lifts:
- jerk... enables you to get the most weight overhead and strengthens the shoulders for, well, the jerk.
- push press... enables you to get more weight overhead than the strict press but still involves some raw pressing strength (whereas the jerk is more about explosive dip and drive, dropping under the bar, and staying locked out)
- snatch grip behind the neck push press... strict snatch grip behind the neck press (the strict version) seems like a recipe for angry shoulders to me, and doesn't really focus on the part of that overhead position where you need the most strength. The bar is never anywhere near to the rack position during a snatch, so I see no reason to stress that (potentially impinge-y) position. If you do a push press variation, the bar is already airborne and moving up by the time you have to start actively pressing it.
- snatch balance... These will help strengthen the locked-out position of the snatch and you will (usually) be able to handle a bit more weight than you can snatch.

Really, just performing the snatch and jerk more frequently will increase your overhead strength. No need to over-complicate things. But as far as overhead exercises go (other than the press) with a focus on O-lifting, those 4 are probably my favorite.

Also, I read somewhere that Jon Broz likes to have his athletes hold the lockout position for ~5 seconds after a completed jerk or snatch. Builds confidence and probably does some good for shoulder stability/strength under load.

Last edited by Preston Sprimont; 02-04-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
Also, I read somewhere that Jon Broz likes to have his athletes hold the lockout position for ~5 seconds after a completed jerk or snatch. Builds confidence and probably does some good for shoulder stability/strength under load.
Also good because sometimes judges will take their own sweet time telling you to put the weight down. Usually not 5 seconds, but it's better to have more reserve than you need.

Katherine
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Brian Hyland

Profile:

If isometric strength (static hold with large load) is what you're going for I'd work your snatch grip jerks from behind the neck. I'd also keep up the snatch balance or even drop snatches to make sure the bottom position stays proficient.

Dynamic strength (like in a press) wouldn't help you as much with the goals you've got.

Last edited by Brian Hyland; 02-05-2012 at 12:13 AM..