CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Mike Moulder

Profile:
Rowing machine vs Rower

Looking to put together a home gym on a budget. Can I get similar results to the C2 rower from a rowing machine? The model I'm looking at has a digital display, though I'm not sure of what info it has. I'm talking about a rowing machine with half oars to be clear.
Anyone have any experience with these? My wife currently walks on a treadmill and I'd like to introduce her to rowing.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: Rowing machine vs Rower

There's no substitute for the C2.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moulder View Post
Looking to put together a home gym on a budget. Can I get similar results to the C2 rower from a rowing machine? The model I'm looking at has a digital display, though I'm not sure of what info it has. I'm talking about a rowing machine with half oars to be clear.
Anyone have any experience with these? My wife currently walks on a treadmill and I'd like to introduce her to rowing.
I agree that there is no substitute for the C2. Another thing to consider is that although you may find alternative machines out there, your performance on those machines will be difficult to measure against other CrossFitters using the C2.

In our experience, Concept 2 not only makes one outstanding piece of machinery that will last for years...it:
1) retains its value very well
2) Concept stocks a wide variety of very reasonably priced repair/replacement parts
3) Concept stands behind it's product 110%

Check out your local craigslist ads. I find used Model Cs in there quite often.

You won't be disappointed spending the few extra dollars to own one.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Alex Keller

Profile:

Mike,

We only sell C2 because they have a very high quality product and they have created a worldwide standard that is very important to CrossFitters and competitive athletes.

That being said, you asked whether you could achieve "similar results" as with a C2. Definitely. I personally don't have any experience with a half oar rowing machine, but I can't imagine a rowing machine and a rower would work vastly differently as they are meant to replicate the same activity. Really, its about what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay for. If you are going to want to compare yourself to other CF athletes out there, you will need a C2 for comparability. If its just to get you and your wife's heart pumping, you can get that from another unit.

However, the other question you have to ask is how long do you expect to have this rower? C2s will last a looooong time with good care and can be repaired with relatively inexpensive, readily available parts if anything does go wrong. I can't say that another unit won't last as long, but I am not currently aware of another unit that has as good a reputation as C2 for quality in their price range.

Have you priced out the half oar rowing machine that you are contemplating?

Last edited by Alex Keller; 11-29-2011 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Mike Moulder

Profile:

thanks for your input everyone.
Alex: I appreciate your candor on this subject, and rest assured that a C2 is my eventual goal... I hava also been to your website and plan to spend some $$ there in the future, you have great stuff at a great price.
The rowing machine I found on Ebay is about $ 150, this would be a bit easier to swallow than the $ 600+ range I see even for a used C2.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Rob Ray

Profile:

I've been trolling around for a C2 on Craigslist and have seen some, although I've not seen the models currently being made (D or E) -- just the C. I've done some research through the forum and it looks like a C could be "upgraded" for a few bucks, making it similar to a D, just a bit louder.

Any personal experience from those that have made this decision? I'm really starting to get tired of subbing with Sumos...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Aaron Cawley

Profile:

i have mentioned frequently that www.row2k.com (wfs) has a classified section where you can find used concept 2 rowers. i got a model c for 275 off of there.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Mike Moulder

Profile:

Thanks so much for the link Aaron. I am hoping to get a model B off of this list, you may have just made my holidays bright.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ray View Post
Any personal experience from those that have made this decision? I'm really starting to get tired of subbing with Sumos...
I just bought my fourth C2 rower, another model C. I've owned two previous Cs and a D and prefer the C.

The slightly lower sound of the D is hardly noticeable, and the C is built like a tank.

The reason I prefer the C is that the PM2 on it works with the old C2 free software, which allows me to program intervals in a more complex fashion than the PM3 on my D did.

As far as retaining value, each of the three previous ones I've owned I was able to sell at a profit.

The only thing I change out on a C is I upgrade the handle to the plastic D handle. I've also changed out the chains and bungee cords on a couple and it's very easy. The handle upgrade costs $15 plus shipping and takes a couple minutes to install.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Greg Hammond

Profile:

Thanks for all the support guys! If I can be of any help just email me. When looking at used machines the bigest thing to check is the monitor. The rest of he stuff is pretty cheap to replace. You can also email me pictures if you want advice. Shipping a Model B is a ***** so make sure you can go and pick it up.