CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
Mark Garcia

Profile:
Something that popped into my mind:

The JKD motto goes

"Absorb what is useful, rejet what is useles, add what is specifically your won"

Coincidentally, this is how we also design our CF WODS and all exerises done are something relevant to our needs...

opinions?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mark-

The distinction works for me but (just my opinion here) the JKD crowd forgot the competitive, quantitative factor for a vry long time. Endless sinwales, box patterns and 4 count drills without enough sparring and accessable progressions.

Check out www.straightblastgym.com for more on that line of thinking.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Mark Garcia

Profile:
Robert,

are you serious that JKD guys don't spar as much ?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mark-

Many schools have a heavy emphasis on sensitivity and other drills/patterns. MMA has changed this quite a bit in the past 10 years which was when I had my JKD exposure. I ended up focusing on thai boxing instead of the full Thai/JKD/Kali curriculum offered at IMB and the inosanto academy's. If you look at the curriculum now it is heavilly BJJ influenced and much less chi-sau and drills of that nature. Again...just my observation.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Rob, each individual instructor has taken the art in a different direction. I've been a instructor with Inosanto since 1982 and have sparred full contact...since 1977. Seminar training is different from what's taught to students or instructors. I train sensitivity drills empty hand, with focus mitts from a kick boxing platform, with gloves, and then in free sparring. Yes the philosophy of JKD is very similar to CF, that's what first attracted me.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Larry-

Exactly! Many schools have adopted a thai or grecco based clinch game in favor of classic trapping. Some have clung to these older methods that have questionable merit (IMO) in light of modern fighting. There have been some epic arguments on this topic over at the MA-underground.

This is similar in my mind to our ouwn PitMaster who has dispensed with elements of his parent art (kata from hawaiian kempo) in favor of a curriculum based on stand-up, clinch and ground work presneted in reasonable increments such that even the geneticly average will show excellent aptitude (non attribute based training).

I think the point is when you are dealing with an alive art (working with a fully resisting opponent) the statement "absorb what is useful" is part and parcel to the program.

This is similar to CF in that we have easily quantifiable elements (timed WOD's with known loading paramaters). This allows for cold objective analysis regarding efficacy of training.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
Mark Garcia

Profile:
I wonder if there's anybody on the board who comes from the Ted Wong JKD lineage Perhaps he/she can also add some input
Old 04-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think training the elements and the attributes and then integrating them into a "live" environment is what CF and Jun Fan are all about. A lot of MA look good but don't translate the motion skill to sparring. I use the analogy of playing basketball. You could do form work, without a ball and look great on the court...perfect form on your fade away jumper, but without the ball, you do not learn the relationship of the ball to the floor or to the basket...not to mention the guy trying to block and steal your shot. On the other hand you do not want to just train game situations, Michael Jordan still did layup drills. JKD is not a art, it's a philosophy. kicking, punching, trapping, grappling, hand and arm destruction's, are all valid and could be pulled off under stress in a live environment...I've done it in the street as a cop. If you just train drills you won't be able to pull it off. It's all about drilling, sparring, finding weaknesses, drilling weaknesses, sparring, etc.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
Hey Larry

"I think training the elements and the attributes and then integrating them into a "live" environment is what CF and Jun Fan are all about."

I think that is it in a nutshell, one guy in my group has alot of trouble when we drill a technique then he tries to use it in sparring he has alot of trouble pulling it off, because at full speed my strike may not land perfect or he move's to fast and isn't in a perfect position and he cannot see past the drill and make the adjustment in order to either work the technique or move onto something else.

The technique is usualy based on a principle that will enable you to use many technique's, a failed trap may lead to a throw, a failed throw may lead to a strike, a failed strike may lead to a lock, the only way to learn this is to spar and keep an open mind.

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useles, add what is specifically your own"

I think in fitness and martial art's people get so wrapped up in certain "technique's" or movement and nothing else is valid in there mind if it is either too hard or too easy, some time's the hard thing's are simply hard because you have another skill/muscle group to work on before progressing.

Just my 2 cent's worth

Jeff