CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Jesse Walker

Profile:  
Hi All,
I just starting out on the Zone recently. I have a generally good idea on how to measure all the food for me for the day. I just want to get the ball rolling because I'm feeling hungry already and I just ate an hour ago. I know something's amiss with my diet so I'm looking for some suggestions from the professional Zoners that always give out great information. According to the calculator I'm a 20 blocker (195 lbs, 15%BF, waist 35 in, wrist 7 inches, Active; WOD plus other activities). Well I guess now is a better time than later to get this started. Thank you in advance for everything.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
What was your last meal? If your carbohydrate blocks were composed of unfavorable carbohydrates, that could be your problem. Since starting the Zone the only time I've had a problem with hunger that soon after a meal is when I was forced to eat things like bread or dried fruit as opposed to composing the majority of a meal from vegetables and fruits.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Jesse Walker

Profile:  
My last meal did contain pasta so maybe that had something do with it? I feel as if I did not eat enough carbs for that meal. What do you recommend for the snacks between main meals?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I have a tendency to eat fruit, meat and nuts, usually an apple, some tuna salad and some almonds or natural peanut butter. If I have the means I like to eat spinach salads..but they're not quite as portable. I usually try to keep a few items around that make for some quick and easy snacks, apples, oranges, pears, some pre-cooked brocolli or a pre-made salad. If I'm cooking meat, I try to cook enough for a couple of days to cut down on prep-time, this is also the benefit of things like tuna or sardines, as they're super-quick and portable. If I'm having a salad, I carry a small bottle of olive oil and one of those lemon-juice containers with me for dressing. Then I just add my protein, whether it's ground venison or tuna, and drizzle the appropriate amount of oil and lemon juice.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Carl Herzog

Profile:
In Sears' first book he implies that eating things like pasta is ok as long as you get the right amount of carbs. It just doesn't work that way for most people, though. Replace the pasta with an equivalent amount of vegetables and you'll probably be happier with the results.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Jesse Walker

Profile:  
Thanks guys I'm going to start posting what I eat everyday so maybe I can get more of an insight on what I need to tweak. Today was my off day. So here goes:

BREAKFAST
3 WHOLE eggs
1 cup of broccoli
1 kiwi
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 apple
3 pieces turkey bacon
4 macadamia nuts

Snack 1
1/2 myoplex deluxe
1cup of milk
4 macadamias

Lunch
1 microwavable Campbell's Chunky Chili
30gms pro, 40 gms carbs, 16 gms fat
4 slices of (real)deli turkey

Snack2
1 MuscleMilk to-go
21gms protein 11 gms fat, 9gms carbs
4 macadamias
1/2 Odwalla bar (super protein)
8gms protein, 27 gms carb, 2.25 gms fat

Dinner
1 microwavable Campbell's Chunky Chili
30gms pro, 40 gms carbs, 16 gms fat
4 slices of (real)deli turkey

Snack3
1 MuscleMilk to-go
21gms protein 11 gms fat, 9gms carbs
4 macadamias
1/2 Odwalla bar (super protein)
8gms protein, 27 gms carb, 2.25 gms fat

Old 01-22-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Jesse,

Judging from your last food log entry, I'd say that you need to work on getting more REAL food into your diet. Things like protein bars, myoplex, and campbells are acceptable in a pinch, but you need to make an effort to base your meals around non-processed foods. Considering the fact that you're following the Zone and posting your food logs, I'd venture to say that we can presume you're a fairly disciplined/motivated guy. If you can direct some of that discipline to your food choices, your performance and body composition will thank you.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
John Vivian

Profile:
Jesse, i suspect that you are a sugar-burner starting the Zone and that you are having carb cravings. This can be confused with actual hunger, but it isn't. Think of them as withdrawl symptoms.

As has been suggested, try to compose most, if not all, of your meals from whole foods, and make the carbs low-glycemic (lots of veggies, minimal fruit for now, and absolutely no sweets).

It might suck for a few days while your body switches into fat burning mode, but the cravings will subside after a little while. That is assuming, of course, the initial premise is correct and that you are a sugar-burner in the midst of kicking the habit. Either way, stick it out and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

john

(Message edited by atomic_dog on January 22, 2006)

(Message edited by atomic_dog on January 22, 2006)
Old 01-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
It looks like there are lots of pros here so I have a question for you as well... if ya all don't mind.
I have the opposit problem. I have a very difficult time trying to eat all the food they say I am supposed to. I am at 14 blocks per day. (unless of course it is eating nuts) For example one of the breakfasts is 6 egg whites, cream chees, 3/4 cup Cataloupe, 2/3c honeydew AND a kiwi. To be honest with you.... I can eat the kiwi adn maybe one or two cubes of the honeydew and that is all.
My concern is that this will unbalance the weight loss I am seeking. ideas... please

sheila
Old 01-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Sheila, you could very well go the opposite way from the original post. Try out similar combinations, but use fruit with a bit higher GI. If you're going for 3 blocks try two whole eggs, two egg whites, 1/3c oatmeal and one apple with 1 tsp natural peanut butter. This gives you the same balance but with a little less total volume. I don't find it hard to eat all the blocks, but I do find it hard to afford as many fruits and vegetables as I need to accomplish the plan entirely paleo (with a wife and 2 kids, that's a LOT of veggies!) so I've played around with this finding the perfect balance of high/medium and low GI foods to accomplish total blocks while not totally breaking the bank!