CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #1001
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Sprints are def more spectator friendly. More fun to watch, plus not having to sit through 2 hours of heats. They'll have to go longer one way or another, but it's refreshing to see at least some events with runs that must be fast.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #1002
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Yudman View Post
Also with the rope climb wod, its only 1 climb and 5 rounds?? That's pretty darn quick. And the sprint is 1 50yd and 1 100yd. Intersting to see pure sprint but these wods are all pretty darn short.
Actually it's 2x50yd plus 2x100yd since they have to run to the 50 and back then to the 100 and back.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #1003
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well, only a week out at this point... anybody want to call their shot? predict the placings?

as for the workouts, i think they are fine. nothing special, but solid. the ones still not announced will likely be killer. i like the sprint. i don't mind the split snatch. bar muscle ups is good. not sure i understand the GHD med ball throw? how is it going to be scored? did i miss that somehow? i really like the idea of clean ladder.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #1004
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

The split snatch seems really light... especially for this level of competition. I'm curious to see what the standard will be for that movement. Will a split between the front and back leg of anything more than 0 meet the standard, or will it be more like a split snatch into a OH lunge?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #1005
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Only 30 seconds between cleans at max effort weights? The CNS doesn't even come close to recovering. 2 minutes would have made this more legit in my mind (even though that's not enough time either I know). If you want to test strength with a max effort lift, then do it right, don't half arse it.

And yeah, split snatch? wtf? seriously?

Rope/sled sounds great though.

Anyone else thinking it's looking like it's jumped the shark here with these wods?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #1006
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

just saw the Team workouts... they look interesting. wonder if can gain any clues to the individual from the team?

as for the split snatch, i like it. yes it is light. but if it was just ground to overhead or regular snatch then everyone would just power snatch it. this way, the athletes have to split their legs and then finish by coming to a standing upright position to lock out the movement. if they move fast this basically becomes jumping lunges. having come out of split stance to fully standing leaves the door open for some "no rep". i think this is one of those that looks easy but when combined with the 400 will be killer. but i could be wrong. the other thing i like about it is that it is one that everybody can try at home to find out. if anything the workout that looks kinda "too easy" to me is the rope sled. only 1 trip up the rope and then only 20 yards on the sled, and the sled only has 95lbs? that is the one that looks too light to me. i am guessing the WODs that are not released are going to be barn burners

i will go ahead and list my guess for placing....

Men
RFJ
J Khalipa
N. Maddox
D. Bailey
B. Smith

Women
Annie T
E. Akinwale
J. Foucher
K. Clever
Camille L-B
Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #1007
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Angry Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Only 30 seconds between cleans at max effort weights? The CNS doesn't even come close to recovering. 2 minutes would have made this more legit in my mind (even though that's not enough time either I know). If you want to test strength with a max effort lift, then do it right, don't half arse it.
Actually, you're wrong. Previous competitions have proven over and over that athletes are perfectly capable of equaling, and sometimes breaking, their existing PR's in these ladder events. Likewise, several athletes were able to equal or beat their PR's in the 2 minutes to max snatch event last year, which was performed with no rest after performing 2 minutes to max weighted pull-up.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods; 07-07-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #1008
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Actually, you're wrong. Previous competitions have proven over and over that athletes are perfectly capable of equaling, and sometimes breaking, their existing PR's in these ladder events. Likewise, several athletes were able to equal or beat their PR's in the 2 minutes to max snatch event last year, which was performed with no rest after performing 2 minutes to max weighted pull-up.
That would just be a oly lifting meet then if they had more time in between their attempts.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #1009
Steve Bray

Profile:

i hope khalipa wins! i think he is in for a chance

my top 3 male
khalipa
fronning
bailey
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #1010
Jason Fischer

Profile:

I'm not understanding the #115 split snatch. I suppose if you are alternating legs, the movement could be awkward. I would rather see a heavy ground to overhead or, if they insist on alternating legs, heavy lunges. Heavy lunges and 400m sprints would be pretty nasty, but isn't that what the Games are about?