CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Departed

Profile:

Crossfit makes many people arrogant

I have seen a lot of talking down on this thread, like certain people here feel that they are better than people just because they understand functional fitness better.

Criticizing people for not being educated enough, as I was at one point is one thing. If I knew that people like those on this link were laughing at my expense, just because I had never been properly educated, in my point of view, isn't right. The globo-goers may not deserve to be called elite athletes as a crossfitter may be, but it's no reason to laugh at their expense constantly.

Sure it may be a select few on this site, but I urge a discussion on this topic. Elite fitness, elite human being, we should know between right and wrong in the fitness sense, and the sense of logic and ethics.

Crossfit might just be a fitness program. But it changed the way I live. I put 110% into my workouts, and try only to be better than I was yesterday. I now apply that to every aspect of my life. Some people use crossfit as an excuse to be better than other people in fitness, and I guess they apply that to the rest of their life.

Maybe this is a banter on a select few and I may be wrong, but if it is so, prove me wrong.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Owen Bird

Profile:
Re: Crossfit makes many people arrogant

[edit] I'm not biting.

Last edited by Owen Bird; 03-17-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Cedarbaum View Post
I have seen a lot of talking down on this thread, like certain people here feel that they are better than people just because they understand functional fitness better.

Criticizing people for not being educated enough, as I was at one point is one thing. If I knew that people like those on this link were laughing at my expense, just because I had never been properly educated, in my point of view, isn't right. The globo-goers may not deserve to be called elite athletes as a crossfitter may be, but it's no reason to laugh at their expense constantly.

Sure it may be a select few on this site, but I urge a discussion on this topic. Elite fitness, elite human being, we should know between right and wrong in the fitness sense, and the sense of logic and ethics.

Crossfit might just be a fitness program. But it changed the way I live. I put 110% into my workouts, and try only to be better than I was yesterday. I now apply that to every aspect of my life. Some people use crossfit as an excuse to be better than other people in fitness, and I guess they apply that to the rest of their life.

Maybe this is a banter on a select few and I may be wrong, but if it is so, prove me wrong.

Derek,

Review your very first post. Actually, many of your early posts. You were handled fairly respectfully. Your first one in particular could've ended up on a crossfithate fanboy site as a why CFers are *****s textbook example. Now, you want everyone to stop being "arrogant" OK, sure. Consider it done.

So I can't prove you wrong, in fact, you could be what proves you right.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Cedarbaum View Post
You can bet at any given point, of any given day, someone, somewhere, is having a laugh at your expense. Whether it's about you directly or something about you or your lifestyle indirectly. It's a fact of life, and it's made much more obvious on the interwebs.

That being said, this is a crossfit forum, if we invaded a bodybuilding forum and talked crap over there I'd say we have some issues. I don't see a whole lot wrong with some inside jokes shared with a like minded audience. It's not as though we are breading hate or anything.

Also don't cast your net too wide there either, I'd argue that www.board.crossfit.com respresents about 1-5% of all crossfiters in the wild. Not everyone holds the same views.

I personally did the muscle and fitness stuff and none of it worked, I got over trained and because of their high carb diet I got fat. There's plenty of folks out there that respond well to that sort of protocol, good on them. I'd LOVE to be able to hit bis and chest on mondays and become muscle bound. Instead I have to do linear progression and metcons that beat me into the ground. Everyone has their poison.

Perfect example, I've been trying for the better part of a year to get my wife to start crossfiting with me, it's been a struggle. She doesn't have that intensity spark that crossfiters have. So one night she went to zumba at Lucile roberts with a friend. She came home covered in sweat and she loved it. I told her to sign up.

Finally... everyone sometimes needs to take a step back and laugh at themselves and not take things too seriously, crossfit included.

Last edited by Michael Dries; 03-17-2010 at 05:20 AM..
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

In my experience in trying out for the Olympics, in playing high level rugby, and in knowing many top-level athletes at the University of Michigan; truely elite athletes are normally pretty humble. For every Ali there are a bunch of guys just as good who shut their mouths and get the job done. They know that at any given time another guy might come along who is better/faster/bigger than they are. That's part of what keeps them going.
Most of the loud-mouths I've seen suffer from the big fish in a small pond syndrome. They think they are the greatest in the world because they've never competed against someone at a truely elite level. Hockey "stars" from Florida, skiers from Ohio, football "stars" from small conferences, etc. When these people get to the next level, they face a much higher competition and have to do a gut-check. At that moment, most loud-mouths find themselves lacking.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

For what it's worth, if i were a stand up comic for the crossfit community, most of my material would be based off of my former, pre-crossfit self.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
David Knutzen

Profile:

My sense of elitism has nothing to do with Crossfit... it has to do with me being better than most everyone else.

In all seriousness, you're dealing with folks who are, as a general rule, competitive and driven. People like that butt heads and strut around, no matter what the particular arena may be. Most of us will laugh at someone doing something ridiculous, but also fall over ourselves to help them out when we think our help is wanted or needed.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

arrogance is thinking you're too good to eat egg yolks.. and having the audacity to throw them away when people are starving in other parts of the world.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Mark Markley

Profile:

Are you sure that the correct statement isn't "Arrogance makes people Crossfit?"
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Is it arrogance if you can back it up?? :stir:

Not saying I can, but one day...