CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
Renee Lee

Profile:
Crunchy Joints

So i've noticed recently that all my joints have started popping and crunching on me:

It doesn't matter what i'm doing, my shoulder will move the wrong way and it'll crack, my elbow will need to be crack, my knuckles are louder than usual.

Plus my shoulders are getting crunchy when i do something like shoulder dislocates. Doing a few squats last night when i was cold yielded in my knees creaking a bit too.

none of this comes with any pain, but it's cartilage related, right? am i fine? should i be worried about long term joint health? i think i heard something about fish oil helping joints. i'm not taking any supplements at the moment, but if it'll stop the crunching, i'm more than happy to.

any thoughts, guys? thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Alain Latour

Profile:
Re: Crunchy Joints

Afraid I can't say why that happens. But I can tell you it's always happened to me, especially with my feet, especially when I've walked a lot that day or simply stood around too much. I then lie on my bed and move my feet from side to side, and the popping an crunching noises sometimes come close to scaring my wife.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Jason L. Jones

Profile:

I have this problem also. I believe the general medical term for this condition is called "crepitus". It occurs with overuse of a joint and age. I've got it in my ankles, hips, and wrists primarily. They way it was explained to me is that as the cartilage in the joints wears away, your tedons will slip out of their tracks and over other ridges. It's also great for entertaining small children and agravating your spouse.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

This thread literally reminded me to take my morning dose of fish oil. Go get some, now.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
This thread literally reminded me to take my morning dose of fish oil. Go get some, now.
hahah, that good, huh?

glucosamine's a waste of time then? fish oil, fish oil and more fish oil?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but personally, I've had "the joints of a 60 year old" since I was about 15. I had to sit out of athletics for various knee and back issues that early and have fought the crap since, in addition to my shoulders, elbows, hips, and god knows what else. Nothing helps like fish oil has, for me. If I go a few days without it, I find myself waking up in the middle of the night with funky pains. If I take it, I feel better. And it's cheap. So go buy some already. Go. Do it. Do it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

The popping and crunching of loud noisy joints is usually of no concern unless there is pain or swelling involved.

So what causes the noise? At this point the jury is out as far as I know. There are a number of theories as to what causes the noise of a popping joint.

The theory that I think explains this the best likens the joint to a water balloon. Not a full/tight water balloon, but one that is somewhat baggy with extra room for movement.

Imagine "splitting" the ballon in 2 equal parts and squeezing the water from one side to the other. Hear the rushing of the fluid? That is caused by rapidly moving the water/air mixture from one compartment to another in a confined space.

The human joint is similar,(except no air in the joint). Basically a sac with fluid that lubricates the cartilage. The cartilage is fed nutrients by compressing the joint fluid into the cartilage.

My belief is that popping the joints moves the joint just a little more than is usual, and therefore feeds areas of cartilage that do not see as much compression. This is only theory, I can't prove any of it, but it's more of an explanation than most others have.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Everett Steinbarger; 05-05-2009 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Content
Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Brent Mattis

Profile:

get the "odorless" fish oil. Trust me.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Odorless fish oil caps is good. Anybody try the enteric coated ones? It's kind of like they are in a gel.

As for popping, it's just releasing tension. A better thing to look for is why the joints and muscles are that tense and need to have tension released. Muscle imbalances, wierd joint alignments, etc.

I think some people who never pop a lot or just people with such little muscular tension ( aka don't train and are not physical ) so they don't get all tense. Just my 2 cents. Dunno, I can't ever remembering not popping my joints or needing to. Maybe when I was a kid and wasn't as strong. I know I was definitely doing a lot by HS when I was doing a lot of BW strength-endurance type stuff. I've never been Uber strong but even at my weakest in the last 15 years or so, I wouldn't say I've been weak to normal Joe strength. Above average with higher body fat percentages than uber fit to fit.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
Scott Ponte

Profile:

I've tried the enteric coated ones and I think they taste horrible. They also stink like chemicals.

I also have joints that pop quite a bit for everything. Not sure what it is, I seem to always run into alot of joint problems and fish oil hasn't seemed to cure me much. My dad's joints pop a lot as well, but hes reaching his late 60's and has broken a ton of bones. So it may be a moot point.