CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Gina Johnson

Profile:
jump rope or running??

Just how equivalent are jumping rope and running, if at all ?

I don't mind 400 mt runs when it's rx'd but I seem to 'somehow' choose to forego the 3 mile run lately. Is it safe to say I can replace the run w/ jumping rope? If anyone has done the 6 wk program in the Dec issue (500 jumpropes for 5 rounds) they'll see it's an amazing workout. I just get way more out of it then the insanely boring 3 mile run.

I've always incorporated running into my routine.....since my teens actually (45 now) and always hated it but felt it was important. But, like I said, since having jumping rope in my life...needless to say, I wouldn't miss 3 mile runs at all.

Can someone explain the differences between the two? Clearly jump rope is a ton easier on the joints and so convienent. I just don't want to drop running if the benefits are that much more significant then jr ing

oh and how 'bout du's?? Surely they blow away a 3 mile run. Actually, I know I'm wrong or else coach wouldn't keep rxing 3 milers.... OR maybe it's just for variety purposes?

set me straight, all you jumprope /running lovers
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: jump rope or running??

Certainly no expert but it sounds like you are indeed mixing the purposes. DU's are definately more closely related to Sprinting...And I'd say jump roping even single jumps is closer to sprinting. A 5k/10k trains you for a different capacity.

So from that viewpoint you should definately NOT sub the 5k/10k with jumping rope, I don't think it translates well with the intent.

Other than that, as far as programming, I don't think the 5k and 10k comes up often enough on the mainsite that I would want to skip it. If we were doing them once every two weeks I'd probably opt out of some as well, but I think the frequency warrants participation.

Of course everyone's Crossfit style is different. You're going to do the things you like more, just make sure you keep it varied and don't completely kill the whole training for increased work capacity across BROAD time and MODAL domains.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Gina Johnson

Profile:

GREAT points Aushion. Thank you for the reminders.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Might want to ask AnthonyB. He's doing some skipping work in replacement for runs so he might cue you in.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Steven Anderson

Profile:

I posted the reply at the bottom of this page the other day on the thread as noted down below. I'm with you on the 3-mile runs, I just don't get anything out of them and they're very boring. Jumping rope is an amazing workout, especially once you get down doing multiple DU's, criss-crosses and doing them fast. It can be frustrating at first not being able to perform DU's at a fast pace, but once you get them down, the feeling is equivalent to getting your first muscle up, just not as glorified by most people. Your conditioning level will improve two-fold and then some. I treat my JR'ing routine as an intense anaerobic workout split up into intervals rather than a continuous slow aerobic pace. You will soon find out that when performing multiple DU's in a row and then mixing it up with other turns and twists, you won't be able to just continuously jump rope, you'll have to throw in some brief rest periods in an interval style. Hope this helps and motivates.

Re: Benefits of jumping rope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a very avid jump roper. I believe it's one the best and cheapest tools for developing a broad range of fitness abilities, i.e. speed, coordination, balance and even strength and explosiveness. You can make jumping rope a cardio session by going at it for 15 min. or so as someone pointed out, but I've experienced the most success by performing super-fast turns, whether they are singles, double-unders, criss-crosses, one foot, both feet, running in place, etc, but by doing it very fast, mainly in intervals (a sprint per se). Also, (I don't see too many people do this) but turn the rope backwards as well, (start with the rope in front of you and swing it backwards) it evens things out. On days that I don't do any strength stuff or any calisthenics or when I simply don't feel like being creative with my workouts, one of my top conditioning routines is 30 minutes of jump roping but broken up into intervals. For example, the first 5 min. I'll do 100 DU's, then 100 run-in-place (with some cris-crosses thrown in) and then repeat those two sequences again. That will take almost 5 min. For the next 5 min. I'll do the same thing except I'll reverse the direction of the rope (again for evenness). I'll do this for 30 min. (six, five minute sessions alternating between forward and backward). It's a tough workout but I love it and it will do wonders for your conditioning level. Your legs (mostly your quads and calves) will hate you the next day, as will your shoulders and biceps. My arms and shoulders get one hell of a workout simply by jump roping.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Gina Johnson

Profile:

Thanks Steve! There's so much to jumping rope as you said. Discovering Buddy Lee completely opens up a world most people are so unfamilar with. I love the challenges of the du's. I agree w/ the rewarding feeling that comes along w/ doing them and improving on them. I look foward to a year fom now and what I can do. I do a similar 30 min workout w/10 different jump rope styles.They're not as advanced as yours but I'll get there! I've gotten some great ideas from rosstraining.com as well. His book, 'Never Gymless' is AWESOME.