CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-18-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Michael Winker

Profile:
....towards a good home gym.

Already got my elite rings hanging in the garage and I just finished some parrellettes using the instructions on drills and skills (I finished the end caps with plasti-dip for improved traction).

Today I ordered some rubber bumper plates from Alf at Therubberman.com. I chose the blemished ones he mentioned. Got myself 4 - 45's and 2 - 25's for $1 a pound. I also ordered two brand new 10's for $14.40 each with the crossfit discount. I expect them within the week.

Since I'm gonna have the weight I needed a bar. I choose the "crossfit" bar from Wichita Falls Weightlifting. I don't believe I have ever used a true olympic bar so I can't wait to try it out.

My next job will have to be a platform. Does anyone have a hint on finding 4 x 8 stall mats? I can only find 4 x 6 in my area. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
Hi Michael,
This may be your answer to the 4 x 6 stall mat delimma. Check out what they did over at the Wichita Falls Gym
http://www.wfwclub.com/sitebuilder/i...02-774x579.jpg
For lifting platform building instructions, see my site:
http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm
Old 09-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Michael Winker

Profile:
Thanks for the links Krista. I didn't need the one for your site though. I've had that bookmarked for some time. Thanks for all the hard work there, it's invaluable.

I'm almost done with the platform. Had to use the 4 x 6 mat. I figure I'll use the WFWClub method. If its good enough for them it certainly is good enough for me.

Again, that homegym site is fantastic. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
I found some 4'x6' and 5'x7' 3/4 inch thick stall mats at a feed store in Pleasant Hill Ca. Concord Feed and Pet Supply phone (925)906-0130
Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Here's a new idea that I'm trying out. When I picked up my bumper plates, they just used a forklift to put the palette with the weights in the back of my truck. Later when I tried my first dead lifts, I noticed how high the bar was on my shins, and decided to try and lift off the palette. Seems to work pretty good for me. I have since added a couple of sheets of plywood (1/4" I think) onto the top of the palette for added strength. Question on the stall mats. Is this mostly needed for iron plates to protect the floor, or also for bumpers? I haven't done that part yet, and was just wondering if I need to or not.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Michael Winker

Profile:
Jeff,

I'm not sure if the rubber on the platform is absolutely necessary with bumper plates, but it just looks cooler. So I'm goin' with 'em.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
I think the idea is to have a solid area to stand in/lift from, and have two pits on either side for the weights to land in. With my current setup, the lifting platform is the pallette covered with two sheets of plywood, and no pits. I'm guessing the pits are more for the iron plates to protect the floor and not needed for the bumper plates. I was just checking to see if anyone agreed/disagreed.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Ro Bostick

Profile:
I had trouble finding 4x8 mats too. So I just bought two 4x6 mats and cut the plywood down to 6 feet and made a 12x6 lifting area. 6 feet is plenty enough space. And I like having the xtra feet on the sides to do other exercises without having to move the weights out of the way