CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
Evan Anderson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit makes many people arrogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Lara View Post
In other words BE the best and stop jaw jacking. But if you can back it up, more power to ya, i won't hate!
Can anyone "back up" the kind of arrogance that SOME Crossfitters have displayed? I agree that saying you are the best at something (exercising in this case) is not arrogance if it is true. But the arrogance being referred to here is more like strutting around shirtless and declaring the unassailable perfection of the paleo diet and chronic interval training. The OP should correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #42
Chris Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Anderson View Post
Can anyone "back up" the kind of arrogance that SOME Crossfitters have displayed? I agree that saying you are the best at something (exercising in this case) is not arrogance if it is true. But the arrogance being referred to here is more like strutting around shirtless and declaring the unassailable perfection of the paleo diet and chronic interval training. The OP should correct me if I'm wrong.
Its the hundreds and thousands of videos posted online displaying only mediocre displays of lifting while crying how the lifter is an elite athlete that causes the arrogance.

That and the thought that Crossfit is a sport, its not, its a method of training. Westside is not a sport, its a training method. HIT is not a sport, its a training method. Heart rate controlled running is not a sport, is a training method.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #43
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Quote:
I didn't mean walking around shirtless, lol. That would just be obnoxious! I just think that if you truly are good at what you do and you do actually "know it all" your actions will reflect that.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #44
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
In the martial arts, this is known as Brown Belt Syndrome or First Kyu Shihan disease. It's usually found in people with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough knowledge to be humble. Like a martial artist who is relatively advanced compared to his own dojo, but not terribly so compared to the wider world. Or a Crossfitter who has not had the opportunity to get smoked by a true firebreather (whether Crossfit-trained or otherwise).

If one is capable of showing the BBS sufferer the error of his ways, one has an obligation to do so, for the good of the community as a whole. If not, it's usually best to just ignore him and stay out of his way as much as possible.

Katherine
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #45
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lajoie View Post
Love that shirt where can I get one?
Mr Incedible came from the Disney store
Cookie Monster came from the Walmart.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #46
Christie Warner

Profile:

To the OP, I think many of the people replying to the Globo thread are ranting...not about being better than the average gym goer, but in reference to Globo trainers who actually approach them with sarcasm, arrogance, and unfounded accusations. In my experience, these trainers have never seen a barbell thruster or LOW BAR back squat or kipping pullup or muscle up and as such, have approached me to let me know that what I am doing "is wrong." What nerve! I never approach anyone to tell them that what they are doing is wrong, especially not if I've never seen the exercise before. But because they have never seen the said exercise in their NSCA textbook before, it's wrong? How about...do some research outside your stupid textbook. It doesn't help if they are obese, either. I find this preposterous. I think you may have a point, but you have to look at the other side of the spectrum as well. A lot of Globo trainers do not like being around/seeing these different exercises since they do not involve a cable or elliptical machine. That may not account for every Globo thread reply, but I think it's safe to say that it does account for many of them.

If I meet a Crossfitter, or any other person for that matter, who is "arrogant," but they can back up every word they say, well, I'm inclined to not give a damn or take it personally. Good for them and I'd like to learn from them. Generally these people are more confident than arrogant, however, and others tend to take that personally still. If they cannot back it up, it's generally no surprise, but also not worth trying to get them to see that...they probably already know. Overcompensation, you know, is usually a major factor for arrogance. The proof is in the pudding.

Plus, figuratively speaking, what goes up must come down.

Last edited by Christie Warner; 03-18-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #47
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

I agree with Christie and Katherine! Well put.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #48
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
In my experience in trying out for the Olympics, in playing high level rugby, and in knowing many top-level athletes at the University of Michigan; truely elite athletes are normally pretty humble. For every Ali there are a bunch of guys just as good who shut their mouths and get the job done. They know that at any given time another guy might come along who is better/faster/bigger than they are. That's part of what keeps them going.
Most of the loud-mouths I've seen suffer from the big fish in a small pond syndrome. They think they are the greatest in the world because they've never competed against someone at a truely elite level. Hockey "stars" from Florida, skiers from Ohio, football "stars" from small conferences, etc. When these people get to the next level, they face a much higher competition and have to do a gut-check. At that moment, most loud-mouths find themselves lacking.
Great post!

I went to high school with a kid who went on to play football at Notre Dame, starting tailback I might add. I really sucked at basketball, and he was the kindest, most supportive teammate you could imagine. The ones who really have it don't have to talk about it. The ones who don't are worried they don't. So they talk. Period.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #49
Lee Tannenbaum

Profile:

I have to agree with Aaron as well. Taking your shirt off for a WOD, or strutting about talking what a bad-*** you are, or how great your diet is are clearly arrogance. If you are good, your actions will show it, period.

All that being said, to the original poster of this chain, what other people think of you is none of your business. F**K them, do your own thing and don't worry about them.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #50
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Lara View Post
I didn't mean walking around shirtless, lol. That would just be obnoxious!

I must be breaking all records for being obnoxious.