CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: A comment here from "Marys" video on Main Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
CrossFit has initiated a huge solution to a huge problem.
Take the number of people involved in dong Crossfit and compare it to the number that don't, very small number. Even compare Crossfit numbers to people doing other forms of exercise, still a small number. Many other groups out there pushing exercise and nutrition as a solution to health problems, some of these groups before Crossfit even showed up on the scene.

And yes I do Crossfit, but I like to keep things in perspective.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
IVigorous exercise is an essential ingredient for gene expression (health). Why is it considered miraculous when people start to show improved capacity/health with CrossFit?
It's not, at least not by anyone with any knowledge. The health benefits of exercise have been known for centuries.

(Yes, centuries. Remember the original Olympics?)

Katherine

Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #13
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

I am sorry, but *vigorous* exercise is hardly necessary for good health, nor does elite fitness = super-health. Plenty of athletes are unhealthy, and it's not because they specialize in one modality or don't eat in Zone ratios. Crossfit is nothing more than an exercise program that motivates certain people with certain personalities to give it their best. Exercise programs have existed for a long time, as have motivated individuals. I don't see Crossfit becoming part of the "average American lifestyle" any time soon.

Also, if we talk about N, I think Chinese students doing their morning gymnastics/calisthenics produces a larger N.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #14
Chris Hill

Profile:

Quote:
I wanted to post this here for possible discussion:

CrossFit IS CHANGING THE WORLD. The size of this movement is mind boggling.
It really isn't. Its merely a program thats enjoyed by a number of people, it gives you nothing that lifting heavy stuff and sprinting hard could.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hill View Post
It really isn't. Its merely a program thats enjoyed by a number of people, it gives you nothing that lifting heavy stuff and sprinting hard could.
It gives you exposure to experts in other fields, that's pretty valuable. Through the CFJ/old board archives I learned about Sommers and am now doing his gymnastics program. Some other people might learn who Simmons is, and learn from him. That's pretty neat, but ya, in terms of MP/affiliates, it's just a program.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
CrossFit IS CHANGING THE WORLD.
No it's not. Not even "exercise" on a larger scale is doing that, much less Crossfit's tiny little subset of it.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Coach Glassman said we have the largest N ever in history.
No, you don't.

The variable n only makes sense if you actually take a statistical sample (wfs).

You can't just take terms from various branches of science and mathematics (like n and integrating the curve) and then decide they sound fancy and apply them to fitness. It's misleading and foolish. If you want to do science or math, you actually have to do science or math.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
I wanted to post this here for possible discussion:

If you were dying of scurvy and started taking vitamin C, would recovery be considered miraculous by the docs? Vigorous exercise is an essential ingredient for gene expression (health). Why is it considered miraculous when people start to show improved capacity/health with CrossFit? Coach Glassman said we have the largest N ever in history. We have the largest human population experiencing increased genetic capacity (you know, across broad time and modal domains) ever. CrossFit IS CHANGING THE WORLD. The size of this movement is mind boggling. How about the potential survival of the species?
Take a break, have a beer (not a gluten-free one, a real beer), relax, sit back, look at this post again and see how elitist and cocky it sounds.

And people wonder why CF is chastised so much? Not for results but for attitudes like that that act like CF is the reincarnation of Ghandi, Mother Theresa and Oskar Schindler.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Why do people feel the need to do this? CF is a decent GPP program. It exposes people to other disciplines (middle distance, long distance, power lifting, weightlifting, even MMA) that they may find enjoyable and do instead. Or they may stay with CF and work on their Fran time. Either way, they are doing something hard and physical, which is good.

But come on, saving the species? The same thing happened with kettle bells, Nautulis, isometeric training, super slow, and just about ever other training regimen. Every new thing claims to be the best, but really it's just another tool in the tool box; you use it it when it supports your goals, you don't when it doesn't.

News flash, there were really fit (strong, powerful, enduring) athletes before CF, CF doesn't have a lock on athletic or fitness training. It's good, better than most, but not the end all be all of training. Nor is it good for certain goals.

All this stuff reminds me of a Bruce Lee saying; "Before I learned martial arts, a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick. When I studied martial arts, a punch was no longer just a punch and a kick was no longer just a kick. Now I understand martial arts, and a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."

CF is just a training methodology, nothing more. THere is no "best" training, because there is more than one goal.

Oh yeah, if you don't compete in sport, and I mean compete at a sanctioned event, you aren't an athlete.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Adam Acosta

Profile:

Diseases of one sort or another are what has always killed people. The difference now is that, on average, they take a lot longer to kill us and aren't as acute because we've gotten really good at dealing with acute disease.

Closed Thread