CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #1141
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hicks View Post
Not to derail the thread but for us poor souls that workout in a bleak chalkless world there is a company that makes a liquid chalk. Just google "liquid workout chalk"(I dont want to provide a link because I am not sure of the rules) it is not quite the same but it is better than nothing and does do a good job keeping the hand sweat under control. Ok, back to the Globo-rant
I am a little late on this but there is still yet another alternative to chalk!!!

Ok so I am helping out my old water polo team doing weight training in the off season. The school just got a new strength coach that runs the weight room at the school and I guess he has enforced a new rule.... NO CHALK IN THE VARSITY WEIGHT ROOM. This is because "it is too messy and I don't want to have to deal with it". I am glad he is willing to sacrifice the strength gains of Division-I athletes because he doesn't want to deal with chalk on the ground...

Anyways I am having the guys do heavy lifting to get some strength and size and you cannot do real heavy Deadlifts without chalk. SO at REI the other day buying a new chalk bag to bring to conceal chalk in (the draw string on my old one broke) and my fiance points out a product that is called invisible chalk. It is labeled as "environmentally safe" and I guess marketed to hippies that don't want to ruin the environment while rock climbing with real chalk. Either way the stuff is awesome! No dust, no markings, when you use it and it works great! Now I have the guys using it all the time and there are no chalk marks on the bars, on them, or powder on the ground. Glorious!

-Robert
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #1142
Chris Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
I've worn my FiveFingers to the globo on and off for the past 6 months, depending on my mood and the workout, and I usually get only a few stares and even some questions from trainers and members alike.
My wife returned from the gym yesterday amused that one of the trainers had told her that she always liked seeing me train in my flip-flops
Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #1143
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hill View Post
My wife returned from the gym yesterday amused that one of the trainers had told her that she always liked seeing me train in my flip-flops
I wear vibram classics every day in the gym at my office....I get comments ranging from "here comes the ninja" to being called monkey feet......I've even been asked if I can pick up dumb bells with my feet....wtf....
Old 02-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #1144
C James Barton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Wow. I would have asked him why.

Man I did 20 deadhangs for my warmup today and I got nothing. Oh yeah, because at my globo nobody cares about performance, at all.

Today at my globo I saw two women on the C2's next to me. They were conversing profusely and pulling the handle to their ankles to their knees, I kid you not. Then I saw a trainer go over and talk to them. I'm not sure what he said, but after he left their range of motion got even worse and they were pulling the chain a few inches at a snail's pace.
I almost felt like a jerk doing my 10x100m rowing sprints next to them.
Last time I saw some bad rowing form, the guy had managed to arrange some kind of counter-motion between his upper and lower body. So when he extended his legs, he leaned forward, and when he bent his legs, he leaned back. Net result, the handle was moving about a foot in either direction each time.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #1145
C James Barton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
And here is the kicker, the worst part. He was using a switch grip. With 95 lbs. THats right, he was deadlifting less than 100 lbs as work sets. he bumped it up to 115 for his second set. Dear god. *****.
Saw that yesterday. Chap put 15kg on each side, so the total would be ~ 110 lbs. Used small plates, so he was practically bent double. Curved back. Switch grip. The expression on his face, and the noises he was making, you'd think he was shifting twice his bodyweight. He was short and lean too.

Meanwhile the fat bloke in the corner (me) was PCing 110 lbs to nearly his head height.

It's funny, I get a bit depressed when I read some of the loads moved or WOs done by the people here. But next to most of the people at my globo, even the big guys, I'm actually a beast already
Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #1146
Carter Jee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C James Barton View Post
It's funny, I get a bit depressed when I read some of the loads moved or WOs done by the people here. But next to most of the people at my globo, even the big guys, I'm actually a beast already
it's strange how everyone looks at you when they realise you're deadlifting with anything more than 100kgs on the bar...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #1147
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Dude puts a big bumper plate front and center of the platform. THen he puts a big bumper plate back and center. The bar, loaded with 45's on either side, goes between the two. (Looks like the division sign). One foot on one plate, one foot on the other, lunge down, grab the bar, and procede to do what I can only describe as sissy lunges with 4 inch ROM. I was sooooo waiting for him to rack himself. Not that I wish evil upon anyone, but this guy has it coming
Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #1148
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
Dude puts a big bumper plate front and center of the platform. THen he puts a big bumper plate back and center. The bar, loaded with 45's on either side, goes between the two. (Looks like the division sign). One foot on one plate, one foot on the other, lunge down, grab the bar, and procede to do what I can only describe as sissy lunges with 4 inch ROM. I was sooooo waiting for him to rack himself. Not that I wish evil upon anyone, but this guy has it coming
Sounds like an attempt at a "Jefferson Lift" (wfs) from a deficit.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #1149
S.S.

Profile:

Best globo story ever.

I walk into the globo today at 6:00 AM on Friday, which is the Muslim Sabbath, so most people are not up yet. Gym supposedly opens at 5:00 AM but I've never been in this early before.

I see no one at the desk to check in. I see a janitor in the locker room. I walk onto the workout floor. I kid you not: there was not a single soul in the gym. No one.

Imagine the possibilities of WODs I could do there without fear of being reprimanded by trainers.

I just found a new time to workout.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #1150
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Best globo story ever.

I walk into the globo today at 6:00 AM on Friday, which is the Muslim Sabbath, so most people are not up yet. Gym supposedly opens at 5:00 AM but I've never been in this early before.

I see no one at the desk to check in. I see a janitor in the locker room. I walk onto the workout floor. I kid you not: there was not a single soul in the gym. No one.

Imagine the possibilities of WODs I could do there without fear of being reprimanded by trainers.

I just found a new time to workout.
lols, that IS amazing